Jerry Reinsdorf open to selling the White Sox per Britt Ghiroli

10 hours ago, NO!!MARY!!! said:

Gotta love fans who are so bitter that they will put down the only championship won by the team in 107 years. 

Who’s putting it down?  It’s just reality that when you trade Carlos Lee for Scott Podsednik you are not building the team to win.  That they got incredibly lucky is great.

11 hours ago, NO!!MARY!!! said:

Gotta love fans who are so bitter that they will put down the only championship won by the team in 107 years. 

Happens way too often by Sox fans. It's so fucking stupid.  We got to watch one of the best post season runs by a team in MLB history and people who claim to fans act like Cubs fans when it comes to the '05 team.  So dumb.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

But the point is, the fact that it's Chicago isn't going to hold the team there as long as the Cubs are there. Chicago was stronger economically relative to the rest of the country 40 years ago than it is now.

1.6 million more people live in the Chicago area than when JR threatened to leave last time. There is no way the will abandon Chicago and leave it a one team town. See if JR delays the managerial decsion. If he doesn’t, the whole thing is BS. It’s funny how the secretive JR wants everyone to know he is talking selling.

1 hour ago, soulfly said:

Happens way too often by Sox fans. It's so fucking stupid.  We got to watch one of the best post season runs by a team in MLB history and people who claim to fans act like Cubs fans when it comes to the '05 team.  So dumb.

It’s more important for me to support a system of team building that sustainable. A freak occurrence 2005 has no value to a fan like myself. It’s fine. But you pair it with a thousand years of ineptitude, f*** that. Who cares about 2005 it just highlights the gross incompetence of this franchise that it’s never going to be repeated because it was an accident, a bug, not a feature. You can have it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

From Jon Greenberg's story in The Athletic:

"Glencoe businessman Andrew Berlin, who has owned stakes in the Chicago Cubs and White Sox, would be a promising candidate to join Stewart’s group or lead one of his own. So would Winnetka’s Justin Ishbia, who co-owns the Phoenix Suns with his brother, Mat."

"Would Stewart threaten to move the team? It wouldn’t be that easy. Though the A’s are finally gone, it comes after years and years of issues between the team, state and city. And to be clear, the A’s are to blame. MLB doesn’t want another fiasco like that.

I imagine MLB would like to keep Chicago as a two-team town, and Nashville is no sure thing to land a big-league team. But baseball would also love to have Stewart, a great pitcher and member of the vaunted Black Aces, be the face of a franchise."

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Garland was a top prospect, though.

Pods was first or second with Milwaukee in RoY voting.

By these kinds of arguments, Buehrle the most unlikely to be a stud when drafted.

Iguchi AJ Dye all undervalued assets.

Garland was a top prospect who figured it out for 1.5 years.  It happened to be in the right year.

Buehrle was in fact the most unlikely to be a stud when he was drafted.  Thank God he turned out to be one.

2 hours ago, Chick Mercedes said:

It’s more important for me to support a system of team building that sustainable. A freak occurrence 2005 has no value to a fan like myself. It’s fine. But you pair it with a thousand years of ineptitude, f*** that. Who cares about 2005 it just highlights the gross incompetence of this franchise that it’s never going to be repeated because it was an accident, a bug, not a feature. You can have it.

That is sad. 

Edited by NO!!MARY!!!
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • TLR 1
  • Paper Bag 2

2 hours ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Lots of teams have done that and not won a damn thing. Knocking 2005 is bullshit stuff. 

• Like 3

The Pods trade was all about injecting speed at the top of the lineup...and buying a player at lowered value, along with Luis Vizcaino.

All of that money for offense first players Lee Ordonez Valentin was then spread across AJ Dye F.Garcia Pods Iguchi Hermanson El Duque and a slew of others.

Was never about just Lee for Pods...was all about changing the composition of the roster and having a team that could also manufacture runs and win close games.

2 hours ago, nrockway said:

This is an insane thing to write and post 

You take pride in that pop up champion? Explain that to me. I have pride, they can’t buy me off that easy. I demand more as a Chicagoan that loves the city and all its institutions other than the Cubs, which I respect adversarially. Hell I defend Chicago against haters from Chicago, and elsewhere. Because it is objectively a world class city. The White Sox, yeah. No. If they can please you and gain your devotion with 2005, and a lifetime of failure, that’s your choice. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Paper Bag 1

6 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

You take pride in that pop up champion? Explain that to me. I have pride, they can’t buy me off that easy. I demand more as a Chicagoan that loves the city and all its institutions other than the Cubs, which I respect adversarially. Hell I defend Chicago against haters from Chicago, and elsewhere. Because it is objectively a world class city. The White Sox, yeah. No. If they can please you and gain your devotion with 2005, and a lifetime of failure, that’s your choice. 

I don't necessarily take pride in it. I didn't play for the team. I enjoyed watching it on television when I was 12-years-old though. The one game I went to that season is a lifelong memory. My contemporary association with the team and a game at the Cell is "fat woman shoots herself and another fan; CPD blames teens". I prefer my childhood conception of the White Sox. I know people around town still talk about it. In fact, it just came up for me in conversation this week amongst a group of young people who are 1) not baseball fans 2) weren't alive when it happened. I guess they have pride in their South Side team.

I obviously see your point, we would prefer to watch a good baseball team than a bad one right now. But I will reiterate my point that it's insane for you to think winning the World Series meant nothing. It definitely meant something. Even the Cubs winning meant something for me, and I hate the Cubs.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

And the 85 Bears and 2016 Cubs were one and done winners might as well throw those out too.

And only ones that count are the Jordan three-peats lol...

White Sox fans should have just given up in 1950-67 after all those second and third place finishes to NY.

Should all just be Yankees' fans.

Except this is their first World Series in fifteen years and the team won't be the same next year without Soto.

22 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

If you, the collective you not Chick specifically, can’t enjoy the successes of your favorite team regardless of sport or level then I don’t know why you would watch.  I’m mean that sincerely.  Winning is incredibly hard and when it’s accomplished, no matter the flukiness or luck involved, it needs to be celebrated.  Otherwise why even play the games.  

27 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

We all want sustained success, that’s what all of us whine and complain about all the time.  That said, to not love and enjoy what happened in 2005 which will be the best and coolest sports moment that a lot of us will ever experience is extremely strange.  

• Like 5

8 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

And the 85 Bears and 2016 Cubs were one and done winners might as well throw those out too.

And only ones that count are the Jordan three-peats lol...

White Sox fans should have just given up in 1950-67 after all those second and third place finishes to NY.

Should all just be Yankees' fans.

Except this is their first World Series in fifteen years and the team won't be the same next year without Soto.

No, the Jordan three-peats don’t count because Reinsdorf broke them up. I mean, Jordan was retiring and they don’t win without him, but if Reinsdorf hadn’t broken them up, they would of kept winning and winning and winning forever and never got old. So throw out the six titles, I’m mad about all the titles they should of won. 

Edited by NO!!MARY!!!

14 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

From Jon Greenberg's story in The Athletic:

"Glencoe businessman Andrew Berlin, who has owned stakes in the Chicago Cubs and White Sox, would be a promising candidate to join Stewart’s group or lead one of his own. So would Winnetka’s Justin Ishbia, who co-owns the Phoenix Suns with his brother, Mat."

"Would Stewart threaten to move the team? It wouldn’t be that easy. Though the A’s are finally gone, it comes after years and years of issues between the team, state and city. And to be clear, the A’s are to blame. MLB doesn’t want another fiasco like that.

I imagine MLB would like to keep Chicago as a two-team town, and Nashville is no sure thing to land a big-league team. But baseball would also love to have Stewart, a great pitcher and member of the vaunted Black Aces, be the face of a franchise."

Ishbia is one of those owners I've thought about that could feasibly do it, but would also keep the team in place.

Also based on the Suns' tenure, he and his brother want teams to succeed.

Also, 2005 was fluke-y: They were great. Assembled in a way that made JR and Kenny think they were the smartest guys in the room.

They went for it all again in 2006 — but because KW felt so smart he felt comfortable giving up Frank Thomas and trading Rowand.

If he was going to give up so much trade capital in that off-season (Rowand, Gio, Young) it was spent in the wrong place — as much as we all love Thome — cause Javy wasn't it. It should have been spent on better pitching.

• Like 2