Jerry Reinsdorf open to selling the White Sox per Britt Ghiroli

Sleepy Harold

8 minutes ago, bear_brian said:

As far as I understand, any buyer and associated move from Chicago would have to be approved by the other owners. I cannot believe the other owners would abandon Chicago to the Cubs.

Owners are extremely deferential. They would never try to overrule another owners desire to screw over a fanbase for profit lest it be used against them.

3 minutes ago, Rusty said:

He’s not open to selling.  It’s a media plant to further threaten to move the Nashville so he can further his attempt to extort the taxpayers for public funding on a new stadium.  

I'm thinking it's either a stadium ploy (considering his past history) or a public notice for the "serious" bidders to come calling. 

• Like 2

Okay so doing some digging I am pretty damn confident that this is a ploy by Reinsdorf for stadium money. Either that or I'm in the cope stage. 

This Stewart group is an absolute fraud. As a Nashville outlet said a few months ago:

"Most media outlets in Nashville never seem to ask this crucial question when reporting on the baseball effort: Where is the money going to come from? Music City Baseball has been looking for a general partner, aka an owner with deep pockets, for five years."

I doubt they found one suddenly. They made laughable attempts to buy the both the Marlins and Rays. Seem you may not even call them attempts. Both franchises were happy to leverage their "interest" into other things. From the Stewart perspective, it seems the plan is that this "interest" somehow legitimizes them.

Which brings us as to why Dave Stewart? He has no meaningful money. It appears their plan is to wait it out for expansion and be given a franchise on the relatively cheap while hiding behind "minority-led" group by bullying MLB that they need minority ownership. Of course a lot of the people in the group are not minorities so you can't make them the face. I doubt even this plan works but for the potential ROI, I guess it's worth a shot for them. As the above article states, they do have a lot of cool branding and marketing scheme, just no money to their names.

Now hopefully this post doesn't age horribly.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Okay so doing some digging I am pretty damn confident that this is a ploy by Reinsdorf for stadium money. Either that or I'm in the cope stage. 

This Stewart group is an absolute fraud. As a Nashville outlet said a few months ago:

"Most media outlets in Nashville never seem to ask this crucial question when reporting on the baseball effort: Where is the money going to come from? Music City Baseball has been looking for a general partner, aka an owner with deep pockets, for five years."

I doubt they found one suddenly. They made laughable attempts to buy the both the Marlins and Rays. Seem you may not even call them attempts. Both franchises were happy to leverage their "interest" into other things. From the Stewart perspective, it seems the plan is that this "interest" somehow legitimizes them.

Which brings us as to why Dave Stewart? He has no meaningful money. It appears their plan is to wait it out for expansion and be given a franchise on the relatively cheap while hiding behind "minority-led" group by bullying MLB that they need minority ownership. Of course a lot of the people in the group are not minorities so you can't make them the face. I doubt even this plan works but for the potential ROI, I guess it's worth a shot for them. As the above article states, they do have a lot of cool branding and marketing scheme, just no money to their names.

yeah makes sense.

Call the bluff.

If he goes through with it and Stewart moves the team to Nashville, that's good. Now they can deal with this cursed fucking franchise.

And it would let us start fresh. Give us a new expansion team with an ambitious owner and give them the opportunity to do the 78 project and do it right.

I think I could get over losing the name and history of the White Sox if it meant a better future. As long as there is a team on the southside that hates the Cubs, I would be happy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

4 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

I had to Google if Dave Stewart had any substantial money. Turns out he doesn't.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Saufley said:

It won't work this time. 

I agree. This time the climate is different. We've accepted a lot of b.s. going on in our country. The majority of Illinois will accept the Sox leaving. They'll just say, 'Geez guys get a grip. We already have one team in Chicago; let's not get greedy. Give somebody else a team. No big deal. We got a team."

2 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

Call the bluff.

If he goes through with it and Stewart moves the team to Nashville, that's good. Now they can deal with this cursed fucking franchise.

And it would let us start fresh. Give us a new expansion team with an ambitious owner and give them the opportunity to do the 78 project and do it right.

I think I could get over losing the name and history of the White Sox if it meant a better future. As long as there is a team on the southside that hates the Cubs, I would be happy.

If I'm not mistaken, Cubs would gain the ability to block any expansion team.

1 minute ago, Quin said:

If I'm not mistaken, Cubs would gain the ability to block any expansion team.

I don't know all the background, but I know St. Louis sued the NFL when the Rams left. If there was a possibility of Chicago doing the same, we could use that as leverage to put in a clause to allow another Chicago team without the Cubs approval.

7 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

I'm thinking it's either a stadium ploy (considering his past history) or a public notice for the "serious" bidders to come calling. 

Considering that only a few short weeks ago JR was publicly stating that he had no interest in selling, and with the very recent 78 pitch shenanigans, the timing of this article/leak/plant very much feels like the next chapter in the continual stadium funding ploy. If he really were interested in selling, he has to know the billion dollar price tag of his franchise, and there's no way a greedy SOB like Jerry sells for anything less than top dollar. Which floating a name like Dave Stewart makes this feel very much like unserious bluster.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

If it’s serious, look for evidence that other bidders are getting involved.  There’s zero friggin chance a group led by Dave Stewart would really be the top bidder, or would make such a strong offer to preempt getting shopped around.  

• Like 2

f***’em, move the team. End of us this misery. Do I want an actual owner who is interested in fielding a competitive team in Chicago? Of course, but that seems like such an impossible ask at this point, I’d be fine with them moving and let me be a true “fan free agent”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

f***’em, move the team. End of us this misery. Do I want an actual owner who is interested in fielding a competitive team in Chicago? Of course, but that seems like such an impossible ask at this point, I’d be fine with them moving and let me be a true “fan free agent”

Nothing is stopping you from doing that now. 

• Like 3
  • TLR 1

1 minute ago, PaleAleSox said:

Nothing is stopping you from doing that now. 

There are plenty of reasons.

I’m a fan of the White Sox, not the owner. Jerry Reinsdorf isn’t the White Sox. And at this point, I’m not ready to let Jerry make me root for another franchise. If he decides to actually sell the team to an owner that has no interest in keeping the Sox in Chicago, then I’ll feel OK moving on. 

• Like 4