Jerry Reinsdorf open to selling the White Sox per Britt Ghiroli

Sleepy Harold

34 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

Call the bluff.

If he goes through with it and Stewart moves the team to Nashville, that's good. Now they can deal with this cursed fucking franchise.

And it would let us start fresh. Give us a new expansion team with an ambitious owner and give them the opportunity to do the 78 project and do it right.

I think I could get over losing the name and history of the White Sox if it meant a better future. As long as there is a team on the southside that hates the Cubs, I would be happy.

I was thinking they lose the team but keep the name and history for an expansion team. I would actually be ok with a fresh start. White Sox 2.0 haha 

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Dave Stewart is the guy leading the charge on an expansion team in Nashville. To me, this is a plant to try to force public opinion and politicians. Call his bluff.

That's true, Stewart wants the Nashville franchise. According to Sports Illustrated he's working with TLR on it.

I hope JR does want to sell, the sooner he's gone the better but this smells fishy to me especially regarding Stewart.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I was thinking they lose the team but keep the name and history for an expansion team. I would actually be ok with a fresh start. White Sox 2.0 haha 

I'd be fine with that. Same franchise, same history, just a new owner. It would suck to not have a team for a minute but long term that would be the best thing for us fans imo. Just clear the entire JR stink out.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I'd be fine with that. Same franchise, same history, just a new owner. It would suck to not have a team for a minute but long term that would be the best thing for us fans imo. Just clear the entire JR stink out.

This is crazy talk to me. Zero guarantee this happens. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Perhaps JR wants to sell now because he realizes he can't get the new stadium built.

Or as stated he's using this as a ploy to try to extort state funds. I suspect he knows his stadium idea is D.O.A. with the politicians.

Anyway more musings from yours truly:

Don't be fooled. This is a ploy by JR to try to extort more financial money from the state/public for his stadium idea.

First off, a story in Sports Illustrated wrote that Stewart and his people want the Nashville franchise and that TLR is part of it. Stewart has had discussions with Manfred about it and that MLB likes the idea of minority ownership. Plus MLB could get A LOT more money from an expansion team then relocating the Sox. 

JR knows his idea to get state money is doomed as long as Pritzker is governor. 

Second Stewart's group may be a fraud in and of itself.

Third as I wrote in August 2020, the tax hit if JR sells while he is alive:

Hey the sooner he's gone the better in my opinion but this 'report" doesn't make a lot of sense.

1 hour ago, GenericUserName said:

Call the bluff.

If he goes through with it and Stewart moves the team to Nashville, that's good. Now they can deal with this cursed fucking franchise.

And it would let us start fresh. Give us a new expansion team with an ambitious owner and give them the opportunity to do the 78 project and do it right.

I think I could get over losing the name and history of the White Sox if it meant a better future. As long as there is a team on the southside that hates the Cubs, I would be happy.

No expansion team will come if the Sox move. You’re so half-crazed with hate for the owner that you want the team gone? Not my thing and I honestly don’t get the mentality of people who feel that, and that’s the nicest way I can put it. Still, you do whatever makes you happy. But don’t expect another team to come in to fill in where the Sox failed. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

4 minutes ago, NO!!MARY!!! said:

No expansion team will come if the Sox move. You’re so half-crazed with hate for the owner that you want the team gone? Not my thing and I honestly don’t get the mentality of people who feel that, and that’s the nicest way I can put it. Still, you do whatever makes you happy. But don’t expect another team to come in to fill in where the Sox failed. 

There's 9.5 million people in the Chicagoland area and you are saying no expansion team would move here ?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NO!!MARY!!! said:

Counterpoint: Chicago’s market is a goldmine for another team despite it being the second team. It was just Jerry owned.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Falstaff said:

There's 9.5 million people in the Chicagoland area and you are saying no expansion team would move here ?

If you count 1/3 of Chicago as a market, it is bigger than pretty much any real expansion market out there, especially if you account for two expansion teams on top of it.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Busy telling us this could never happen.

Actually I've said that the odds were remote due to JR's own comments as well as the tax hit.

Before either of us says, "I told you so" let's wait and see how this shakes out shall we?

As I posted this smells totally like a ploy by JR.

We'll find out soon enough.

• Like 4
  • Fire 1