Jerry Reinsdorf open to selling the White Sox per Britt Ghiroli

Sleepy Harold

31 minutes ago, Falstaff said:

There's 9.5 million people in the Chicagoland area and you are saying no expansion team would move here ?

It's possible if the Sox were to move an expansion team would be brought in given the size of the market but the Cubs and Brewers would scream bloody murder over territorial rights and would demand financial compensation which could throw a wrench into the plans. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Weren’t there just comments recently saying he has no interest in selling? Within the past few weeks?

Last August in his press conference he stated he's been asked why doesn't he sell and he replied (paraphrasing) 'I like what I'm doing and what else am I going to do?' 

Maybe the 121 loss season has changed his thinking it's hard to tell where he's at, but again and we'll find out over time I think this is a ploy. 

Excellent story by Margalus:

Setting aside Reinsdorf’s assertion that the White Sox would be worth more in a far smaller market, any group attempting to move the team to Nashville would encounter the same headwinds in finding public financing for a new ballpark. 

https://soxmachine.com/2024/10/report-jerry-reinsdorf-open-to-selling-white-sox-in-discussions-with-dave-stewart/

Dave Stewart is an asshole. I hated him as a player. Why can't Jerry sell to someone who is committed to make the Sox a first rate operation in Chicago? As a Brooklyn Dodger fan, does he want his legacy to be compared with Walter O'Malley. 

Edited by Melton1972
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Same here, I don’t want groups led by so and so, I want a guy or gal who has tons of money and isn’t afraid to spend it while keeping them in Chicago.

The Jeter thing definitely didn't work in Miami, and we'll see about Alex Rodriguez...that was for another sport other than baseball after some of his initial attempts failed.  They jury is still out, he was working with at least one major investment partner there.

Wasn't it the T-Wolves?

Even Tom Brady only has 10% of the Raiders now, for example.

Then obviously you have MJ.

Where's Mellody Hobson and George Lucas on all this???

Don't they own 40% of the existing shares right now?

Looking to cash out, or increase their investment?

Edited by caulfield12

54 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Excellent story by Margalus:

Setting aside Reinsdorf’s assertion that the White Sox would be worth more in a far smaller market, any group attempting to move the team to Nashville would encounter the same headwinds in finding public financing for a new ballpark. 

https://soxmachine.com/2024/10/report-jerry-reinsdorf-open-to-selling-white-sox-in-discussions-with-dave-stewart/

Wasn't TLR also labelled a "consultant" on that situation in Nashville, or was he also considered part of the investment group?

2 hours ago, Falstaff said:

There's 9.5 million people in the Chicagoland area and you are saying no expansion team would move here ?

There is ZERO chance an expansion team is coming here. Either the Sox stay, or you're looking at the team moving with expansion going elsewhere. The belief MLB is simply going to be ok moving the Sox and then miraculously approving a new team in Chicago is straight up laughable.

• Like 3
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

It's possible if the Sox were to move an expansion team would be brought in given the size of the market but the Cubs and Brewers would scream bloody murder over territorial rights and would demand financial compensation which could throw a wrench into the plans. 

MLB would have to give approval to a move.  There is no reason why they couldn't preserve territory rights, name and history as a part of an approval to keep access to what is currently a mid revenue baseball market. They would be stupid to piss that away.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Grinder said:

So is Dave Stewart that influential that he can get a group of investors together to make a bid? He couldn't have made THAT much money during his playing days

That's why I would guess the Hodson group.  They are already connected to the Sox, as is Stewart thru TLR, for whom Jerry met with Nashville for.  It fits together naturally.  He'd be turning this over to people he knows and trusts.

2 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

Fake news.

Yep.  How often does Jerry pull this BS to get what he wants?

The rumors of moving the team to St. Petersburg, which ultimately got him funding for his first new stadium.

The meeting with the mayor of Nashville last offseason to pressure for funding toward his second new stadium.

Releasing two statements about the state of the team right before the season ended to avoid facing the media in a press conference.

Does anyone even know if Dave Stewart and his group of investors could afford to purchase a $2+ billion dollar team?

Jerry is a manipulative mofo and everything he does is for a reason.  I have no doubt he fed this BS “news” to The Athletic, just like he fed the previous rumors.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 3