Jerry Reinsdorf open to selling the White Sox per Britt Ghiroli

Sleepy Harold

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

I apologize for the missepelling, lol, it's Hobson with a B instead of a D.  The husband of George Lucas and a multiple billionaire in her own right, they are rumors to have bought a decent sized minority share of the White Sox a few years back.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/mellodyhobson/

Ah, thanks for the clarification.   That would be interesting if she ended up buying the controlling stake from JR. 

Is it possible that Reinsdork could be doing Dave Stewart & TLR a favor with the MLB by signaling to them that they are still serious about owning an expansion team and that they have the potential investors? While letting other potential bidders know it is time for a sale? With this disastrous TV deal, the business climate seemingly no longer makes much sense to Reinsdorf.

19 hours ago, Tony said:

There are plenty of reasons.

I’m a fan of the White Sox, not the owner. Jerry Reinsdorf isn’t the White Sox. And at this point, I’m not ready to let Jerry make me root for another franchise. If he decides to actually sell the team to an owner that has no interest in keeping the Sox in Chicago, then I’ll feel OK moving on. 

That's my stance and I would say though that I am probably almost as much a Brewer fan now as I am White Sox fan.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, tray said:

1.jpgRelated development's pressure to sell the WSox on a move to the 78 did nothing but cause a lot of uncertainty about the future of the franchise. GRF is not in poor condition needing replacement like old Comiskey was. I vigorously opposed Related and their full court press to obtain public financing for a project that largely made no sense for the WSox or for tax payers.  Well, goodbye old friend.

Why do you believe Jerry didn't want this too?

• Like 1

I apologize for the missepelling, lol, it's Hobson with a B instead of a D.  The wife of George Lucas and a multiple billionaire in her own right, they are rumors to have bought a decent sized minority share of the White Sox a few years back.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/mellodyhobson/

Yes, former CEO of starbucks. She purchased a minority interest in my Broncos as well

2 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

That's my stance and I would say though that I am probably almost as much a Brewer fan now as I am White Sox fan.

Good for you. I'm in the North Shore and while I don't see me ever going to the Cubs, I would have no problem giving my fandom to the Brewers. I miss caring about baseball. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

Good for you. I'm in the North Shore and while I don't see me ever going to the Cubs, I would have no problem giving my fandom to the Brewers. I miss caring about baseball. 

I might be a rockies fan but would probably give up on baseball altogether. Not the game we all once fell in love with. Kind of boring ever since the inception of the sabremetric era 

35 minutes ago, tray said:

I vigorously opposed Related and their full court press to obtain public financing for a project that largely made no sense for the WSox or for tax payers.  

Well congratulations, I’m sure you’re important enough to deserve this victory lap.

39 minutes ago, tray said:

1.jpgRelated development's pressure to sell the WSox on a move to the 78 did nothing but cause a lot of uncertainty about the future of the franchise. GRF is not in poor condition needing replacement like old Comiskey was. I vigorously opposed Related and their full court press to obtain public financing for a project that largely made no sense for the WSox or for tax payers.  Well, goodbye old friend.

Off topic: I love this photo...could anyone mark this photo up and highlight the area that the proposed 78 ballpark would be located?  I assume you could see in in this photo off in the distance?  Maybe?

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

That's what I keep saying.  Despite it all, the Sox are a mid market MLB franchise.  MLB isn't going to leave that all to one owner, especially if they could sell a two billion dollar franchise to someone for the opportunity at that market place.

You also have to figure some of that $2B valuation *comes from being in Chicago* and in this media market. That valuation immediately takes a hit once you move it to a small market like Nashville.

We're supposed to believe that someone will pay the market rate for a Chicago team and immediately crater their value by moving it? That doesn't seem plausible to me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, BrittBurnsFan said:

Off topic: I love this photo...could anyone mark this photo up and highlight the area that the proposed 78 ballpark would be located?  I assume you could see in in this photo off in the distance?  Maybe?

Isn’t it the green area right here? There’s a park area just to the south of the 78 also so it all does bleed together.

IMG_8324.jpeg

• Thanks 2

Let's hear it.

Sell 49% of the team and turn those funds into a new stadium.  Sell for $1B.  Invest $1B into the new stadium.  In my head this makes sense but not certain if this is how taxes work in this case.

Take on $1B in debt for a new stadium.  Sell $1B stake in franchise, pay off debt.

I really don't think he sells.  When he dies same as McCaskey and these old family owned sports entities. 

35 minutes ago, bmags said:

I don’t know, I’m starting to think even his death will be the start of some horrid murder mystery saga of events 

That would at least be interesting, maybe even entertaining. Unlike this obvious leverage ploy for free money.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tony said:

Agree 100%

I flipped on Dodgers and Mets last evening and realized I don't like either.  With Kansas City, Baltimore, Milwaukee and San Diego out I really do not care to watch the playoffs.  Yankees v is a waste of time for me.

26 minutes ago, BrittBurnsFan said:

The red line is around where Roosevelt and Clark is.

1.jpg.0247446f2f31586bf10f0977fa4ac0a3.jpg.jpg

Edited by Tnetennba
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Isn’t it the green area right here? There’s a park area just to the south of the 78 also so it all does bleed together.

IMG_8324.jpeg

The space is compressed in the photo, but you're in the general area. If you drew a straight line from your circle to the right you'll hit an apartment tower at State between 14th PL & 16th, right where the freight tracks cross. The 78 would run from that southern point up to Roosevelt at 1200 South. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Texsox said:

The As have gone coast to coast with the name. Cardinals, Raiders, even the Utah Jazz have all kept their names. 

I hear you but I'd personally like the Sox name to die if they leave Chicago. I see no way Illinois will tax the people even more to build an unnecessary baseball stadium this time so if they have to leave they leave. Only hope is if the Sox can convince the government it'll be a boon for that part of the city. Of course in theory it'd hurt another part of the city, Bridgeport.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

Agree 100%

I flipped on Dodgers and Mets last evening and realized I don't like either.  With Kansas City, Baltimore, Milwaukee and San Diego out I really do not care to watch the playoffs.  Yankees v is a waste of time for me.

Yeah, I watched all the Royals-Yankees games cause I was able to and wanted to see what KCR were about this year. The games were generally boring with everybody waiting for NYY's bats to awaken which they never did. Witt was horrendous and Judge was a joke.