How the Sox went from 12th in fWAR/talent to last

caulfield12

https://soxmachine.com/2024/10/a-study-in-white-sox-failures/

The thing that's really striking to me during this post season is the bullpen disparity...and how the Sox ended with the worst statistical pen while all the guys moved now represent a very solid core of guys.

Aaron Bummer Atl  dubious 5/1 trade of guys Atlanta needed off their payroll

Tim Hill Yankees/released

Jake Cousins NYY cash considerations

J.Chavez Atl released in spring training

M.Kopech LAD now one of best high leverage relievers in baseball

Tanner Banks Phillies

Brent Honeywell LAD released

Declan Cronin Marlins  waived, ends up with Houston, becomes solid contributor in Miami

Bailey Horn to Boston for cash...not to mention Rome Gonzalez would have led the White Sox in OPS

What does Getz really have to show for all that talent leaving the organization?

Soroka and Vargas?  Shuster?

Edited by caulfield12

Obviously you are being sarcastic but Soroka is likely gone.  Vargas is trash.  Take a deeper look at Shuster’s metrics.  He was lucky to have a 4.30 ERA considering he doesn’t strike many guys out and walks a bunch of guys when he isn’t giving up hits.

Getz has to be one of the worst GM’s in baseball currently.  The team would have been better if you negated all of his moves and just made no moves.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Paper Bag 2

3 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Obviously you are being sarcastic but Soroka is likely gone.  Vargas is trash.  Take a deeper look at Shuster’s metrics.  He was lucky to have a 4.30 ERA considering he doesn’t strike many guys out and walks a bunch of guys when he isn’t giving up hits.

Getz has to be one of the worst GM’s in baseball currently.  The team would have been better if you negated all of his moves and just made no moves.

You're still assuming he'd make all the right choices for the big league roster...

13 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Again, if Chris Getz had a choice between 2 players in this last year, I think he literally chose the wrong one every, single, time.  I know the Stan's want to blame Rick Hahn, but the Getz trail of destruction is Hurricane like 

Well, he actually did, so your post can’t even be refuted.  🤣

20 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Again, if Chris Getz had a choice between 2 players in this last year, I think he literally chose the wrong one every, single, time.  I know the Stan's want to blame Rick Hahn, but the Getz trail of destruction is Hurricane like 

I guess the Jimenez trade to Baltimore...but just his value eroding to that point was pretty embarrassing.

31 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Great post, because he literally did.

He chose Dominic Fletcher over Jake McCarthy, based on his Assistant GM Josh Barfield’s recommendation.

He then chose Miguel Vargas over Luke Keaschall, based on the recommendation of Assistant Hitting Coach Mike Tosar whom he fired a week after the trade.

One couldn’t fail harder than Getz did with his trades, even if you intentionally wanted to sabotage the team.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

9 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

If you can’t understand Hahn’s major role in this disaster at this point I don’t think anyone can help you.

10 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Getz' big gaffe was basically giving away 1.5 years of Kopech and Fedde.  And the real cost was opportunity cost:  he should have gotten some good young talent back for those 2, and he didn't.  

The Bummer trade was blah. How could he whiff so badly on Fletcher with Barfield having worked for Arizona?   Opinions vary on the Cease return.  But otherwise, he mostly chose the worst player between 2 marginal players.  He should do better than that.  But he hasn't given up any long-term young talent that I can see.

But look at the high WAR players on the list:  that is the devastation wrought by Hahn.  And Tatis and even moreso the Semien trade were so poorly intended that the Sox had very little chance for benefit even at the time the trade was made.

Now Getz has been here barely over a year, so he may yet match Hahn in total devastation, but this is a summer rainfall compared to the typhoon that was Hahn.

Edited by GreenSox
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Rick Hahn took us to 101 losses.  Chris Getz took us to 121

Yes, and clearly every loss this year is an event isolated to this season that has nothing to do with past decisions.

The water carrying for Hahn around here is absurd.