Blackouts? Manfred is on it

Texsox

4 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

Can't wait for Manfred to make watching games less accessible.

At least he understands that a sizable number of fans have cut the cable and stream. It seems more like he wants to have the MLB national contract supercede any local deals. Which makes sense in a modern world. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, JoeC said:

I would love:

1. For the Sox to be good

2. To be able to pay a fee to stream all Sox games, regardless of where they are, regardless of what network they're on, regardless of where I am.

If you pay to stream your favorite team it shouldn't matter where you live or where the game is being played. 

I remember as a kid driving to Indiana to watch a Bears game because it didn't sell out. Times have changed and sports has to keep up. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JoeC said:

I would love:

1. For the Sox to be good

2. To be able to pay a fee to stream all Sox games, regardless of where they are, regardless of what network they're on, regardless of where I am.

As pissed as many people are about chsn not being on Comcast, it could be a blessing in disguise (at least for baseball fans). I don't care how much they make out the antenna to be this great free thing. It's not the future, and people will continue to lose interest if there isn't a streaming option. Manfred seems to be anti-blackout. If more and more markets are running into the RSN issue, especially ones as big as Chicago, a national streaming option where every MLB game is available anytime, outside of maybe national games that are on FOX, etc, would be a great thing for the sport and fans alike.

25 minutes ago, ScootsMcGoots said: If more and more markets are running into the RSN issue, especially ones as big as Chicago, a national streaming option where every MLB game is available anytime, outside of maybe national games that are on FOX, etc, would be a great thing for the sport and fans alike.

Isn’t that literally MLb.tv?

19 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

It's MLB.tv without blackouts. Make MLB the primary and any local stuff secondary. Obviously anyone with a little tech skills can get around blackouts, but it shouldn't be necessary. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

I live in NYC, so I can stream the Sox except when they play the NY teams. It is awesome. Only thing I miss is the postgame show. A national TV package around that would be great for fans. I don’t know if the large market teams will ever agree to it though.

6 hours ago, Timmy U said:

I live in NYC, so I can stream the Sox except when they play the NY teams. It is awesome. Only thing I miss is the postgame show. A national TV package around that would be great for fans. I don’t know if the large market teams will ever agree to it though.

I'm blocked for the Rangers and Astros. 

8 hours ago, Timmy U said:

MLB.TV started playing the Sox postgame last year.

10 hours ago, Timmy U said:

Same, live in MI and can watch the Sox when they aren't playing Detroit (except I've watched, MAYBE, a month's worth of games the last 2 seasons). I also miss the postgame show with Chuck, Ozzie and Frank/Pods when they are on. It seemed actually like they were showing the postgame shows on mlb.tv there for a little while, I'm not sure if they were just forgetting to cut the feed off or what lol.

10 hours ago, Timmy U said:

Can't you stream the Sox using the Yankees announcers on those days?

40 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Can't you stream the Sox using the Yankees announcers on those days?

No, even the opponent broadcast is blacked out. I watch far more out of town baseball these days and any game with the Sox or Cubs game is blacked out for me, home or road broadcast. My sister lives in New Orleans and is blacked out when her teams play Texas and Houston, despite not even being in the same state. It's ridiculous.

2 minutes ago, JoeC said:

You can pretty easily circumvent blackout rules by VPNing to a different location.

Just don't let it be Iowa, where you're basically blacked out from 1/2 of all games at any given time.

That's what I've done for a number of years, but it can still be a pain in the ass some times.