LV Raiders are the White Sox of the NFL

caulfield12

"The biggest problem is the same one that has faced this organization for years. I wrote about it repeatedly at the end of the Jon Gruden era in 2021, then again when it traded for Adams in 2022. After nearly a decade of poor drafts and short-sighted decision-making, the Raiders are missing virtually an entire roster's worth of homegrown players. Across an eight-year window from 2016 to 2023, they essentially would have done better drafting out of a magazine with 10 minutes of prep like your friend who forgot about his fantasy draft:

Here are the Raiders draft picks from 2016-23 - the final year of McKenzie, the Gruden/Mayock era, and the two McDaniels drafts. Guys crossed out in black aren't in the league, guys crossed out in red are in the league but no longer with the Raiders.

Eight drafts that appear to... pic.twitter.com/HYVNpObLVQ

— Bill Barnwell (@billbarnwell) October 15, 2024

Earlier versions of the Raiders tried to make up for the absences by getting very aggressive in free agency. The 2024 team is fielding the league's fifth-youngest roster, which is at least a testament to change. They're playing a young group of receivers after the injuries, paced by rookie tight end Brock Bowers, who has been fantastic. The offensive line has three starters on rookie deals, while the same is true for five of the six regulars in the secondary. Young, cheap talent doesn't necessarily equal breakout players, but the Raiders were often too confident that signing veteran free agents would solve their problems. I'm not sure they're any more likely to whiff by giving the same chances to young players."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/41911328/nfl-worst-teams-2024-which-need-rebuild-roster-depth-chart-salary-cap

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Poor Detroit...at that time.

At least they had 2006 after 2003.

I mean, the Wings were good during the 2000’s, and the Pistons were also good at the time.

The Lions were truly miserable. I moved to Michigan from Wisconsin after college. I was so used to 2-way trash talking with Packers fans, but I quickly found that Lions fans were immune to taunting. How do you hurt someone’s feelings when you say stuff that they agree with 100%?

4 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

At least those teams had Calvin Johnson and Stafford. There weren't very good, but they were fairly entertaining and had a GOAT type doing GOAT things weekly. No disrespect to Crochet, but he's no Calvin Johnson type.

Or better yet, the GOATest...Barry Sanders.  And Scott Mitchell wasn't that bad.

The Sox remind me of the Saints.

Both won titles a while back.
Saints have had more playoff success, but in the last few years, they've drafted poorly, retained and signed declining players (sound familiar?) and are in cap hell.
Both are in the deepest holes in their respective leagues.

And lucky for me, they are my 2 favorite teams in pro sports (Sox #1).