New Phil Rogers

Mr. Showtime

This will be in tomorrow's paper...

Assuming Ken Williams and Dan Evans can put aside their old tensions, the White Sox and Los Angeles Dodgers could do some business this winter.

The White Sox have a surplus of hitters and are so motivated to move salaries that they are willing to consider trading Magglio Ordonez. The Dodgers are desperate to add some pop to a lineup that produced only 3.5 runs per game last season, the lowest total in the majors.

Although Ordonez is a superb player, he's too pricey for almost every team except the Yankees. In the past he would be the Dodgers' kind of player, but Evans, who resigned from the Sox after Williams was named to replace Ron Schueler, is believed to be authorized only to make deals that involve modest payroll increases. So forget about Ordonez going to Chavez Ravine.

The trade to watch for is this—Carlos Lee and Jose Valentin to Los Angeles for left-hander Odalis Perez and Venezuelan shortstop Cesar Izturis, a slick-fielding, 24-year-old slap hitter who would allow Ozzie Guillen to manage a young version of himself.

Eyebrows were raised when the White Sox exercised Valentin's $5 million option a couple of weeks ago. That seemed a curious move, given that they are trying to clear payroll space to re-sign other free agents, including Roberto Alomar, Carl Everett, Tom Gordon and Scott Sullivan. But sources indicate they are exploring trades that involve Valentin.

If this deal came off, the Sox would trade away an estimated $11 million in salaries for players they could pay less than $6 million. Perez would join Esteban Loiaza, Mark Buehrle and Jon Garland to give Guillen four starters who worked 185-plus innings and won at least 12 games last year. They then could non-tender Scott Schoeneweis, perhaps saving another $2 million.

They would have one starting spot open for a group including Dan Wright, Jon Rauch (who pitched well while in the witness-relocation program in 2003), Neal Cotts and one or two highly motivated journeymen trying to become the next Loaiza.

This to..

Remember Ross Gload? He played 18 games for the Cubs in 2000 and 26 for Colorado in 2002. He spent last season as the White Sox's primary Triple-A first baseman and could be in the mix for significant playing time if they are able to trade Paul Konerko. Gload has six homers and 28 RBIs in 28 games for the Hermosillo Orange Growers in the Mexican League this winter. …

Very interesting. I wouldn't be shocked if hte Sox non tendered Scho. If they do so, could they still sign him after that? Cause Sho is due to make more then he is worth, imo.

I wouldn't be against a Perez and Itzuris swap because I happen to like both and think it would be good for our future. If that were to happen I still think the Sox need to move Konerko no matter what, so who else would be interested in him.

Ozzie coaching Izzy. :D

Seems more likely that Maggs won't be traded unless the Yankees don't get Vlad or Sheffield. I hope Mags does stay here but if not, I'll take Soriano and Johnson thank you.

The outfield will be interesting. 2 spots between Rowand, Harris, Reed, Borchard, and random FA journeymen or something

I could see them trading Konerko instead of Lee IF they add a third player to the deal and/or pay for $1-2 million of Konerko's salary.

OR, if they were to trade Lee, I would ask for another player from the Dodgers in return, preferably a reliever. either way, Lee and Perez shouldn't be made straight up.