Run, Magglio, RUN!!!

Cali

Venezuelan players might have to leave their native country earlier than expected because of the political problems and crime in the South American nation, USA Today reported Thursday.

The U.S. embassy in Caracas has announced Jan. 20 as the cutoff date for visa applications. Players wouldn't be allowed into the United States without a visa.

Thirty-eight Venezuelans played in the major leagues last season, including the Angels' Francisco Rodriguez, White Sox's Magglio Ordonez, Phillies' Bobby Abreu and the Mariners' Freddy Garcia, but it's unknown how many will have to beat the visa application deadline.

High crime in Venezuela has recently affected major leaguers, and some players prefer to spend the offseason in the United States rather than in Venezuela, where there is political and economic turmoil.

In November, Houston Astros outfielder Richard Hidalgo was shot and wounded during an attempted carjacking. This past weekend, ex-major leaguer Alfonso Carrasquel was beaten by two gunmen during a carjacking.

Rodriguez though is in Venezuela and has no plans to leave early.

"Francisco says he's avoiding the trouble,'' said his agent, Israel Negron to the newspaper.

Get out there quickly Maggs.

I assume he goes back to Venezuela because of his family. If that's the case, he should try to bring them over here like ShamME has done with the Soso clan. With all the crime reportedly going on in Venezuela, I hope Maggs has been advised against carrying $20,000 in a plastic bag.

I assume he goes back to Venezuela because of his family. If that's the case, he should try to bring them over here like ShamME has done with the Soso clan. With all the crime reportedly going on in Venezuela, I hope Maggs has been advised against carrying $20,000 in a plastic bag.

I know why Samme's numbers were down last year.

The money that was stolen from him....that was going to go towards steroids, and when it was stolen, he couldn't buy all the steroids he was going to get without someone noticing that he'd lost $40,000 in the past week