72 Dolphin team fans and players rejoice!

cwsox

I get tired of modern teams that play 16 regular season games being compared to Miami playing 14 total games it is apples and oranges. It is nice that Miami went undefeated but it is not relavent to compare it to today NFL schedule. The record should be with a big asterick.

I get tired of modern teams that play 16 regular season games being compared  to Miami playing 14 total games it is  apples and oranges. It is nice that Miami went undefeated but it is not relavent to compare it to today NFL schedule. The record should be with a big asterick.

As a counterweight to that argument there were fewer teams back in '72. That means that there wasn't the dilution of talent that you see with major expansion.

As a counterweight to that argument there were fewer teams back in '72.  That means that there wasn't the dilution of talent that you see with major expansion.

There is a big difference regardless of talent between 19 games as a #1 seed and 14 total.

There is a big difference regardless of talent between 19 games as a #1 seed  and 14 total.

what are you talking about really. A #1 seed? Is this tennis?

The 1972 Dolphins played a 14 game NFL schedule and 3 play-off games and went 17-0. Super Bowl win.

Since then, in what, the early 80s, the NFL made the last 2 pre-season games into regular season games to fleece more money from the fans. Had the Chiefs gone undefeated, they would have played 16 game NFL schedule and 3 post season game, for a total of 19. The comparison is between 17 and 19, not 14 and 19.

There is no asterik, get real. When the schedul was 9 or 10 games + 1 post season game, no one went undefeated. When there were 12 games + 1 ow 2 post season games no one went undefeated. When there were 14 NFL games plus 2 and then 3 playoff/postseason games no one went undefeated - until the 1972 Dolphins. No one has done it since.

It remains a singular accomplishment.

Note to Chisox Sonix Chiefs fan: condolences - tough to lose that way when going for the season - all old AFL fans like me have a special affection for the Chiefs given Super Bowls 1 and 4 - in some ways 4 was the best of them because it emphasized that 3 was not a fluke.

The 72 Dolphins have to be all f**gy about it though, and show up at the games where the last undefeated team is playing with bottles of champagne ready to be popped open.

f*** them

I agree, don't they have anything better to do?

And the Chiefs should have lost to the Pack a few weeks ago IMO. They just got a little luck their way.

I agree, don't they have anything better to do?

And the Chiefs should have lost to the Pack a few weeks ago IMO.  They just got a little luck their way.

how'd they get lucky? They came back in the game, they made plays. Ahman Green fumbled, so? Woods knocked that ball out with a great hit right on the ball. It was a great comeback win in Green Bay.

People talk about over-hyping the Chiefs, yet i see way too many taking away from them because of their "weak schedule". Hey, look at that offense. Not one person can say they wouldnt want that. And as to the Bears having a chance? Well if KC has home field wrapped up then Holmes, Gonzalez and Green wont get more than one half, so there may be slight hope. And thans cwsox, ya it was a tough loss, but hey, every team has lost at least once in a season except one, so at 9-1 i still feel good about this team.

The 72 Dolphins have to be all f**gy about it though, and show up at the games where the last undefeated team is playing with bottles of champagne ready to be popped open.

f*** them

I don't see anything wrong about them celebrating. That was a fantastic achievement, one they all shared and are all still very proud of. As they should be. I still respect and salute the '72 Dolphins, though I still think the '85 Bears were better. :cheers