Magglio Ordonez

YASNY

When interleague play started back in '97, I attended the first ever game between the Cardinals and Sox. This game was played at Busch on Labor Day, 1997. Magglio came into the game as a pinch hitter and stayed in the game. On his second at bat, he yanked one into the the left field stands. Even though I'm kind fuzzy on the previously mentioned details, the fact it was the first Sox/Cards game and the fact about Labor Day is solid. What I'd like to find out is, was that Magglio's first major league home run? When he was announced as a pinch hitter, I looked at my buddy and said "What the hell is a Magglio Ordonez?" ... Now I know! :lol: Can anyone verify, yes or no, whether that, in fact, was his first dinger?

Agent Insider, Reporting in:

Sorry Bud, Magglio didn't hit his first against St. Louis

hit his first career home run off Jose Lima on 8/30 vs. Houston

Bibliography: http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...lub_context=cws

Thanks. That's what I needed, confirmation one way or the other. I guess I'll have to settle for seeing his 2nd homer.

I remember Magglio's rookie year. I didn't have a clue who that guy was, he came up and absolutely tore the cover off the ball.

Can anyone tell me if he was actually highly thought or anything?

I thought he was just a call up that ended up shocking the world, but at that time I was about 13 and didn't know anything about the minors like I do now.

I remember Magglio's rookie year.  I didn't have a clue who that guy was, he came up and absolutely tore the cover off the ball.

I thought he was just a call up that ended up shocking the world, but at that time I was about 13 and didn't know anything about the minors like I do now.

I heard Hawk talking about Maggs one broadcast....said that he struggled for the first 3 or so years, but then really came into his own as a minor league hitter and started producing.

Ask HSC....she was really high on him. I bet she'd know.

And Jim....I'd think he could probably hit .330 45 145 this year....that's a possibility atleast.

I remember Magglio's rookie year.  I didn't have a clue who that guy was, he came up and absolutely tore the cover off the ball.

Same here, I had no idea how successful Maggs can be in the majors. If I remember correctly, I heard Hawk or DJ or may be some other telecast of one of the games last year that Maggs was almost left out of 40 man roster when he came up. The sox had to decide b/w Maggs and Lyle Mouton on who will the sox let go. Whew! Wasnt that a close one.

I didn't become aware of him really until the 99 season, I remember in July (probably July 29th, don't ask why I remember the day) the Trib ran a major article about Mags coming of age as a player. They said he was on the verge of being a superstar, and to my way of thinking, he is.

Maggs was signed as an undrafted, unheralded, free agent and worked his way through the entire system, but he won two minor league batting titles along the way.  He came up about the same time as Jeff Abbott.

This just in: career track shows maggs way ahead of abbott in race to have a number retired for the white sox.

Maggs was signed as an undrafted, unheralded, free agent and worked his way through the entire system, but he won two minor league batting titles along the way.  He came up about the same time as Jeff Abbott.

Maggs only won 1 Minor League Batting title (1997 for the Sounds).

Jeff debuted on June 10, 1997; Maggs debuted on August 29, 1997.

Considering how well Maggs has been progressing every year, I would not be surprised if he were to win the batting title within the next few years. I think he's gonna hit somewhere near .335 this year and will increase during 2004. He will soon be in that 50-home run club, blasting away Albert Belle's single season record.

Maggs will be our star for years to come! He is the perfect man to build this team upon.

Gotta love our Pepsi guy!

Considering how well Maggs has been progressing every year, I would not be surprised if he were to win the batting title within the next few years.  I think he's gonna hit somewhere near .335 this year and will increase during 2004.  He will soon be in that 50-home run club, blasting away Albert Belle's single season record.

Maggs will be our star for years to come!  He is the perfect man to build this team upon.

Gotta love our Pepsi guy!

Let's hope we can keep him....he's a FA after 2004.

He'll win at least one batting title in his major league career, mark my words on that.  He'll also win at least one MVP award.

The batting title I can kind of see (he's got some stiff competition), and I'm doubtful about an MVP. I don't think he gets enough media attention to ever win one of those. Not with the Sox, anyways.

Well I still compare Mario Valenzula to Magglio Ordonez but from the left side of the plate. The guy hit the cover off the ball and then never played in AAA, but he's still on the AAA roster for this year. I think the guy would be pretty good at the major league level, but thats just me.