thoughts on the the U of Illinois

HawkDJ

It's not a sham...It's just entirely untrue.  ISU, SIU, WIU, EIU, NIU, NEIU, and CSU are ALL less expensive than UIUC, and you can get a quality education at each institution.  ISU is nationally known for its education and business departments, WIU has a very good humanities department, NIU has a very good nursing department, as does SIU.

What I'm trying to say, HawkDJ, is to keep your options open!  Don't put all of your eggs in one basket...I have enjoyed my time here at ISU, and am going to miss it when I move away from campus for good back to home next February.

Forgot about UIC. They have a damned good engineering dept (specifically electrical, but I think the mechanical isn't bad either). Their medical schools are also up there.

Forgot about UIC.  They have a damned good engineering dept (specifically electrical, but I think the mechanical isn't bad either).  Their medical schools are also up there.

The cost figures wouldnt be hard to pull up, but the instate tuition for UIC is around $6000 a year.I'm positive that instate costs for U of I are in the teens. I have added room or boarding thought it will only add a few thousand to the price.

And our engineering programs are the best around the city. (Maybe exluding IIT or another college primarily devoted to engineering). If you planned to study medicine for cheap then UIC would be smart choice. Though they cant even compare to the medical programs of Northwestern, Loyala, or University of Chicago.

The cost figures wouldnt be hard to pull up, but the instate tuition for UIC is around $6000 a year.I'm positive that instate costs for U of I are in the teens.  I have added room or boarding thought it will only add a few thousand to the price.

And our engineering programs are the best around the city. (Maybe exluding IIT or another college primarily devoted to engineering).  If you planned to study medicine for cheap then UIC  would be smart choice.  Though they cant even compare to the medical programs of Northwestern, Loyala, or University of Chicago.

From talking with engineers in the field, IIT isn't as respected as it used to be. When they saw both IIT (there for a year - biggest mistake of my life) and UIC on my resume and that I graduated from UIC, they said I made a good choice in leaving IIT and going to UIC. They said the education isn't what it used to be because the professors are too worried about tenure and not worried enough about teaching (which is why I left).

When I graduated in the fall of 2000, the tuition, per year, for an engineer was $5500. It was getting raised the following year and I hear there is another hike on the horizon.

ISU's a quality school and is ranked #2 in the nation for my major...

And, at least ISU isn't full of arrogant bastards like the U of I is...They treat those who don't go to the U of I much like Cub fans treat Sox fans...YES, I'm equating the U of I to the Cubs!  Let me just tell you that the U of I is just A university in the state...not THE university!  Contrary to most U of Iers beliefs, there are OTHER universities within the same state!  What a novel concept!!!  You'll find a greater percentage of humble people at the other campuses in the state.

In fact, I propose an ad campaign slogan for the U of I...

"Come to the U of I:  Where humble people need not apply."

No offense Heather, but all ISU is good for is your major. When I visited the campus my senior year of high school they told me I didn't have to write an essay to get in because I scored higher than a 26 on my ACT. I promptly got up and left the meeting and went home.

ISU's a quality school and is ranked #2 in the nation for my major...

And, at least ISU isn't full of arrogant bastards like the U of I is...They treat those who don't go to the U of I much like Cub fans treat Sox fans...YES, I'm equating the U of I to the Cubs!  Let me just tell you that the U of I is just A university in the state...not THE university!  Contrary to most U of Iers beliefs, there are OTHER universities within the same state!  What a novel concept!!!  You'll find a greater percentage of humble people at the other campuses in the state.

In fact, I propose an ad campaign slogan for the U of I...

"Come to the U of I:  Where humble people need not apply."

There are arrogant bastards everywhere, but people at some universities just have a lot less to be arrogant about is all :D

Seriously, Carbondale and tthe surrounding area was a favorite trip to make when I was getting my undergraduate degree (Evolutionary Ecology) at U of I. We would go down there to collect bats and pocket gophers and such for mammalogy classes and it was always a lot of fun. It was also nice to see that Illinois has at least a little topological relief somewhere.

Go to MI State; easier academics, better partying, best tailgating, easy police.

Problem, they don't look kindly upon rioting. Eh.

Thtas where I was gonna go. They got a great business program. My cousin went there and she said it was way cool. Campus is nice too. It was between there and the University of Washington and then I said screw it...I'll just go to Cal State Fullerton. Most people wonder why I'm there :lol:

But I won't be broke after I'm done with law school because of it :headbang