New Debate Topic

sox4lifeinPA

who wants to help me with a project for my business Admin class?

I'm debating the pros of Nationalized Health care...it's way to easy to debate the cons, because anyone can say it's too expensive. I think we have a moral responsibility and economically it can be acheived via individual health care savings accounts. Eliminating premiums for businesses and replacing it with payroll deductions and employer matching programs would defer costs and allow for a public fund. (see:singapore model). If the people are in charge of their money, they will be less likely to use it on frivolous doctor visits and more inclined to practice safer health behaviors.

there is no reason why a person can't get yearly check ups at the eye doctor, dentist and primary physician. If I'm saving 3-5% of my paycheck per month, I should have plenty of $ for those kinds of visits.

tangent:

Eliminate local and state taxes, and introduce a set state sales tax(3% for instance) and a set national sales tax(2%). There needs to be massive overhaul on the way we're taxed, how much we're taxed, what that money is used for, and how that is determined.

Don't even get me started on the social security dilema in the US.

Wow, some things we agree on, PA (gasp!).

I've got nothing to add to your nationalized healthcare plan, other than to say I don'y fully understand all the issues but know our system is broken now and needs fixing.

As to the Fair Tax, I've been hoping for that kind of sweeping reform for several years. Everyone who wants a flat tax (i.e., the wealthy), is still looking for a break. The fairest way to raise tax revenue while not penalizing the people earning the most (a big complaint by people in the top tax brackets, and one I can appreciate), is to completely stop taxing based on income, and start taxing based 100% on what we buy. The poor will be taxed tthe least because they buy the least. the rich will only be taxed on what they buy and only at a rate commensurate with everyone else, which seems entirely equitable and apparently far too logical.

Two other key advantages not immediately brought up are the billions of dollars saved by almost eliminating most of the IRS. With no way for people to cheat on their income taxes, there's no more need for audits, legal actions, etc. if people want to shrink government, here's one sector where it can be done without jeopardizing essential functions and programs. The other advantage is that everyone buys stuff, including the criminal monetary base not currently assessable via traditional income tax. There's no more tax evasion by organized crime unless there are no purchases made.

And it can work toward the message often sent of teh need for personal fiscal responsibility. If you don’t want to be taxed, then save your money rather than making so many non-essential purchases.

I’m sure the actual tax rates would be higher that what you suggest, but even a combined fed/state rate of 10% would be acceptable (after everyone got used to it and put it in perspective) without also having to cough up income tax.