Let it Be Naked - Today is the day

southsider2k5

ironically, a poll in england ranked Queen as the best band to ever come out of england :o

I guess we americans appreciate the beatles, and the Rolling stones more than their native country.

Though I am not a huge beatles fan, I have heard most of their songs and the best is by far  Abbey Road.

Personally, I don't think that poll is too far off. I think it is a toss up between Queen and Led Zeppelin as the best music group to come out of England.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I've read in several places that Paul wrote Two Of Us about he and Linda and their weekend drives, not about Paul and John.

I have heard the same thing, but don't buy it. I can certainly believe Paul would credit the inspiration for that song and many others to Llinda - and of course she was and still is the inspiration for many. But, depending on when the intervoews occurred, it could have been at a time when John and paul would not have credited each other for much of anything.

The chronology of Paul and John's relationship seems a better fit for a line like "You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead" than that of paul and Linda at tthe time. Paul started seeing Linda in December 1968, and the Let It Be songd were recorded at the end of January 1969. It seems like the 13 months Paul and Linda had been together is hardly worthy of the long road of memories metaphor.

The title of the (decent, not great) VH-1 movie relating a fictionalized version of an actual between John annd Paul at the Dakota in April 1976 was also titled "Two Of Us." It seems an odd title choice if the song was really Paul's equivelent of The Ballad of John and Yoko. Mark Stanfield, who wrote the screenplay, has commented on being struck by how apparent it is that Paul truly loved/loves John when interviews turn to that subject. I have always seen the same thing, and he can downplay that affection in his words but I think his lyrics belie him.

As a public service, here is SS's song by song break down of the album

Get Back-

Sounds pretty much the same to me. Just a transplant from the rooftop concert.

Dig a Pony

The monster ballad guitars are gone. I like it.

For you Blue

Another song transplanted from another album. The individual notes of the guitars are much more pronounced. Sounds much more playful.

The Long and Winding Road

One of the most different sounding songs on the album. The big orchestral flurishes are gone. I don't really like it as much this way. Maybe it is just because of what I am used to, but the absent the big flurishes takes away from the depth of the song and it doesn't seem as deeply felt without them

Two of Us

The vocals come together much more duety sounding. I like the simplification of it, as it gives a much more, just the two of us feeling. Much more appropriate for the song. It was probably my favorite off of the original "Let it Be", besides the title track, and it still is.

I've got a feeling

Well there isn't nearly as much feeling in this one anymore. The big guitars missing really take away from the "feeling" Definately a down grade IMO.

One after 909

The one noticable thing to me, was the piano was a lot more pronounced. It gives it a much more early Beatles sound. I like it.

Don't Let Me Down

Another song where the big guitar riffs were taken out. Again it takes away from the feeling of desparation that the old version had. It doesn't sounds as convincing without the big guitars.

I Me Mine

Yet another song that had the heavy guitars taken out of it, but this time it really works. Because of the I Me Mine theme of the song, it now has a much more self feeling, instead of the band feeling that the old version had, with the studio guitar sound. Lyrically it was one of the cooler songs on the original LIB, and this musically is a big upgrade for it.

Across the Universe

All of the excess affects are also removed from the song, and it is a killer version. John sounds alone in the universe and it is an awesome feeling for this song, and John's voice.

Let it Be

Incredible. Simply incredible. I didn't think they could make this song sound better, but they did. The beginning of the song is just Paul and the piano, and it has so much more feeling, than even the original. An awesome version of one of the five greatest songs in Beatles history.

Overall review. It will take somemore listening to get some of the biases of nearly 30 years of hearing the original versions, but overall some good stuff. There are a couple of disappointments, such as Winding Road and Feeling, but the pluses such as Let it Be, Two of Us, and Universe way more than make up for them. A definate must have for the consumate Beatles fan.

Count me as one who admires Beatles and their immense popularity MUCH more than one loves theeir music, a few individual efforts not withstanding.

I am sorry, but Paul Mac's "I am not about to ruin my life for a song" is SUCH a quintessential battle cry of the mediocre.....and he was anything but mediocre! I will never let him live this statement down. Ever.

I did not have to live in the time of Mozart to appreciate his genius. I did not have to live in the time of Beethoven or Bach or George Gerswhin to recognise their greatness

Any reason why PI Chaichovsky was not included? Porgy and Bess is cool and all, but it ain't no Swan Lake I'll tell you that right now!

Hey, SS, this one’s gonna grow on you the more you listen to it. I like your track-by-track comments, and I wonder if you’ll have the same opinion after a few more listenings. My original Let it be is vinyl and so I need to go get the CD so I can make comparisons not from memory. I also have copies of “The Black Album” and Vols. 1 and 3 of “Sweet Apple Trax,” so eventually I may wade through all the versions and figure out which takes made it onto the official releases.

At any rate, I know Get Back is not the rooftop version, because that one has John defiantly turning up his amp as the bobbies come on the scene, and Paul does the “You been playing on the roofs again and your Momma doesn’t like that… She’s gonnna have you arrested!!” I think it’s just the remastered tracks from the original single version, without the outro chorus as originally released.

I think Winding Road is improved by an order of magnitude on the new release. The grandiosity of Specter’s orchestration for me gets in the way of what I hear as this song being a loving lament at the end of the inhuman grind of being the Beatles. Lyrically for me, it’s not a saga of sweeping triumph, it’s an sad, lost, imploring… “Lead me to your door/Let me know the way,” and finally a fatalistic resignation that the object of the song will “never know the many ways I’ve tried.” Leave the orchestra at home.

I like the remixed I’ve Got A Feeling a lot (I’m listening to it with headphones right now). George’s guitar lines and Billy Preston’s electric piano fills are brought more to the front of the mix and it really sounds good to me. You're right, I Me Mine is great. I really like the rythmic changes and more frantic feel the last verse has now.

I just listened to the “Fly on the Wall” disk a couple of times. I’m happy that they included alternate versions of the two missing songs (Maggie May and Dig It), and I like hearing all the snippets of pieces that would end up on Abbey Road or ultimately as solo tunes (All things must pass, Imagine, Jealous Guy).

Any reason why PI Chaichovsky was not included?  Porgy and Bess is cool and all, but it ain't no Swan Lake I'll tell you that right now!

No, Rhapsody in Blue was his Swan Lake. And An American in Paris was his Nutcracker. Noone has ever fused jazz, blues, gospel and classical like Gershwin. As much as I love Aaran Copeland, Gershwin is America's premier composer.

I think it’s just the remastered tracks from the original single version

all of it, as I understand, is from studio tapes - they waded through a lot of tape to find the closest to non Specxtorized stuff as they could - it was reported that the job was so good, Ringo loved it and Paul didn't even want to fiddle with anything himself

this album is so sweet, so good -

right now I am grooving on I Me Mine again and happy that I am the landlord because the upstairs neighbors have no one to complain to about the loud mysuic at night!

you are more of a Beatles rarities expert than I will ever be -

I am thinking that Across the Universe is very similar to a rarity version released on vinyl back in the stone age when I was married and my wife and I got it rather than buy groceries -

Any reason why PI Chaichovsky was not included?  Porgy and Bess is cool and all, but it ain't no Swan Lake I'll tell you that right now!

Pytor Ilyich Tchaikovsky

Russian has that tc sound...

I could have listed so many others too - Handel being a major omission, as well as Puccini and Verdi - I guess I like Geshwin more than you, to each his own, if we all liked the same thing no one would be able to get tickets for any concerts

I taught my youngest to appreciate classical music from Tchaikovsky - he already knew the Star Wars music (the original movie, yes I and he are that old) when he was 3 and played the 1812 Overture and pointed out the cannons and he was hooked

:huh:  :huh:  :huh:  :huh:

Paul was always a pot head but I understood he quit that years ago - but crack?  I have never heard this.

Crack or Heroin...it was one of the major drugs. Usually I don't trust what I hear from my friends, but my buddy is one of the biggest Beatle fans alive and I know he wouldn't want to say something that wasn't true. I'll ask him what it was, but something about Paul coming out about it like two years ago and admitting he was addicted and finally quit.

Crack or Heroin...it was one of the major drugs.  Usually I don't trust what I hear from my friends, but my buddy is one of the biggest Beatle fans alive and I know he wouldn't want to say something that wasn't true.  I'll ask him what it was, but something about Paul coming out about it like two years ago and admitting he was addicted and finally quit.

I tend to doubt those - crack, as I learned in the client awareness program when I worked in foster care for Catholic Family services, is smoked and Paul would not jeopardize his voice - and it is a very low socio-economic status drug whose only virtue is it is cheap -

as for heroin, I can't beleieve that either, having lived to be his age and state of health having always been good and Linda being Ms Natural - and I enevr heard a heroin rumor for Paul - he was always grass - but I would be interested in your following this up -

I suspect Paul gave up the bad habits years ago

No, Rhapsody in Blue was his Swan Lake. And An American in Paris was his Nutcracker

Speaking of RIB, I loved the way Woody Allen's Manhatten begins...

PIT is closer to my late 19th century ballet sensibilities, it's true.

Gershwin is not just a foremost American composer; he is a QUINTESSENTIAL American composer. He is everything I loved about 20th century symphonies--- can't get into this whole Shoenberg/Shostakovitch/cacophony modern stuff.

I am thinking that Across the Universe is very similar to a rarity version released on vinyl back in the stone age when I was married and my wife and I got it rather than buy groceries -

You're thinking of the single version released to benefit the World Wildlife Fund I bet (It was later re-released on the blue-cover Rarities collection). It started with an audioscape of geese on a pond and then the flock taking off as the opening acoustic guitar part begins. There were also the overdubed "oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh"s responding to the "nothing's gonna change my world" stanzas that I always miss when I hear other versions.

Yeah, the Paul on crack/heroin, or anything stronger than goat cheese these days escaped my notice as well. Hopefully more details are forthcoming.

Speaking of RIB, I loved the way Woody Allen's Manhatten begins...

1. PIT is closer to my late 19th century ballet sensibilities, it's true. 

2. Gershwin is not just a foremost American composer; he is a QUINTESSENTIAL American composer.  He is everything I loved about 20th century symphonies--- 

3. can't get into this whole Shoenberg/Shostakovitch/cacophony modern stuff

agreed

1. never give that up

2. if you put put it that way, I will happily stand corrected and agree with you. Good insight.

3. I like some of it more than you but some is hard to take, to be sure

You're thinking of the single version released to benefit the World Wildlife Fund I bet (It was later re-released on the blue-cover Rarities collection).

bingo! :headbang

damn, you are good! :headbang :headbang :headbang

that is exactly it, the blue covered rarities which the ex wife got in the divorce settlement because while I could not bear to break up the complete set of albums we had - we had some great stuff, a real hers, mine, ours thing -

but I kept the original George Wonderwall album, I die with that one - I am the only living American who bought it and it is mine and stays mine!

Just talked to my friend and he said it was Cocaine.  Paul said this during an interview like a year ago that he was listening to.  Paul made mention of this and said how he quit because his new wife is changing his life so much.

Paul on coke, maybe, but did he ever have many head colds, a runny nose? does he still have a septum?

I am still going to be a skeptic until I see more proof, nothing against your friend, but coke causes actual chemical changes in the brain cells and resulting personality changes and his personality as we have seen it has not been altered at all in any way from the earliest days, he is still the same old Paul

maybe he was lucky too but after all his grass busts I wouldn't think he'd want to keep risking anything but I could be wrong, I don't hang with McCartney, ask your friend to get the source so we can see, not trying to be a jerk, just doesn't jive

3. I like some of it more than you but some is hard to take, to be sure

I am not trying to invalidate anything here (if I were, I'd be committing art's most cardinal sin by rejecting forms of expression and intended meanings just because they don't neatly fit into my comfort zone and life experience), it's kinda like me not *liking* Pollock or Kundinsky but still recognizing and being in awe of their genius.

Speaking of which, I have become less critical of Eminem lately, go figure. (still think Ja Rule is terrible, tho)

I am not trying to invalidate anything here (if I were, I'd be committing art's most cardinal sin by rejecting forms of expression and intended meanings just because they don't neatly fit into my confort zone and life experience), it's kinda like me not *liking* Pollock or Kundinsky but still recognizing and being in awe of their genius.

Speaking of which, I have become less critical of Eminem lately, go figure. (still think Ja Rule is terrible, tho)

Ditto Brando...when M&M came out, I absolutely hated all the garble he was spitting. His self-portrayed image didn't win me over either. Here in the past 6 months or so, though, I've been kinda turning the corner, because lyrically alot of the stuff he does os written quite well. Not like the endless dribble people like Jay-Z, Ja Rule, Nelly, (Insert Flavor of the Month Rapper here) are making. :puke

it's kinda like me not *liking* Pollock or Kundinsky but still recognizing and being in awe of their genius.

I understand that - I do not get jazz, no way do I get it at all, it speaks nothing to me - and yet I can recognise the greatness of the artists and the musical form and be in awe of that which is great - which I still don't get -

keep working on the Em, you and Cap'n, it will come! :lol: :headbang Starts with hating it less, then disliking it less, and then one you hum Slim Shady and the next time you get mad at your mother you start singing Cleaning out my Closet and you listen to a track and you start laughing at his puns and word play... it all comes, give your selves over to the inevitable -

Try as I might, I cannot get into Jay-Z (arrogant asshole) and Ja Rule and Nelly - I dislike the first two a lot and tolerate the third - Ludacris has some funny stuff - Missy Elliott when she works it is pretty good too - 50¢ has some great raps, some funny stuff, some clever lyrics even though he does a lot of posing, but he used it well to make that very strong "Many Men" song, and how can you not like an artist who writes, "I love you like a fat kid loves cake."

I am finding myself liking - sit yourself - Tupac's music - more than I ever have. That man was genius! (Never thought I'd say that) He was also whacked, but a genius can be whacked.