Let it Be Naked - Today is the day

southsider2k5

I am the only living American who bought it and it is mine and stays mine!

My copy is second-hand, of course (I was 3-and-half when the Beatles split, so I had a lot of catching up to do later). I got Wonderwall, Badfinger's Magic Christian Music, Wings' Wild Life, and John's Some Time in NYC all for $20 at the first BeatleFest I went to in 1982 or 1983.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting cw, cuz all my rap influences from the 90's came first from 2Pac. Listen to "Me Against the World" CD, great stuff IMO. Then during the "All Eyez on Me" Double disc, Pac started evolving more into the Makavelli character he invisioned himself as. Sadly, he spoke too much truth in his lyrics. Ludacris, OTOH, is great if you listen to him with one thing in mind: his lyrics aren't written to convey a point, or tell a story....he's there rapping to create humor with what he says. He does a damn fine job at it also.

Well NWA definately had a major influence on the rap industry too.

Hey Vince, have you watched that Tucu Movie, resurection or whatever it is called?  Or are you even much of a fan of tupac?

getting there and getting there fast - may buy the new thing tomorrow

Interesting cw, cuz all my rap influences from the 90's came first from 2Pac. Listen to "Me Against the World" CD, great stuff IMO. Then during the "All Eyez on Me" Double disc, Pac started evolving more into the Makavelli character he invisioned himself as. Sadly, he spoke too much truth in his lyrics. Ludacris, OTOH, is great if you listen to him with one thing in mind: his lyrics aren't written to convey a point, or tell a story....he's there rapping to create humor with what he says. He does a damn fine job at it also.

thanks for info, agree on Ludicris (loved him in concert)

Jay-Z, Ja Rule, Nelly,

Hey, Nelly might not be very deep or original, but his brand of clown rap is HILARIOUS. I swear when it first came out, any time I'd hear I'd do this dance, cross between Elain Benes and Harlem Shake, literally laughing myself and my friends dizzy. Strangest thing.

Tupac? In my humble opinion the man was a talented rapper (which is not to say he was a seminal one, the two often don't mesh, especially when you're surrounded by hacks and thugs who stifle creativity), but what suprised me is his effortless charisma as an actor; whether he would have the desire and the work ethic to hone his skills and become a true thespian is very questionable/doubtful, but the talent was there. Him and Em share something I can't quite put my finger on, maybe because I wasn't around to see Tupac alive.

Jazz? My dad was a White Clifford Huxtable, with a bunch of Davis (brilliant instrumentalist, overrated composer) and Goodman and Parker vinyls. I've brought myself to love the musical form, be entertained and deeply moved by it, but understand it? Out of my league.

Not to be trite, but open-mindedness conquers all biases, in music, art and whatever else.

Great point Brando....Tupacs efforts on screen often go overlooked. The guy had, like you say, effortless charisma in his on-screen presence. It was a damned shame that he fell victim to the whoe East Coast-West Coast feud that he stirred up so much.

Missy Elliott when she works it is pretty good too

Missy: So Alec, are you gonna work it?

Baldwin: Missy, if you're asking if I am going to have sex with the show, then yes.

At least Missy is trying to expand her horizons (Dutch? wtf?), which is more than I could say for Lil' Kim.

It was a damned shame that he fell victim to the whoe East Coast-West Coast feud that he stirred up so much

From what I hear the guy was no angel, to be sure.

But it doesn't preclude me from hating that cocksucker Sug Knight's fat ass.

That talentless b**** is gonna get his- he may act tough, but lead has a way of burning through flesh and he'll find that out sooner rather than later.

No question, Shakur had LOTS of issues; he was no Angel by far. But it didn't help that he was under the direction of that wretched bastard Suge Knight. He can go to prison and saty for all I care. Dre fortunately saw Knight for what he was, and was able to get away from Death Row before all that s*** went down. Pac, OTOH, probably thought it was teh loyal thing to do, stay with the hand that started feeding you. That is, unless you count his early days with Digital Underground

It was a damned shame that he fell victim to the whoe East Coast-West Coast feud that he stirred up so much.

From what I hear Tupac was the one who believed the feud was to sell records and never took it seriously. But you have to believe that talking about f***ing one of biggies old girlfriends couldnt be labeled as a joke.

HAHAHA...it's not annoying me at all. I like the Beatles. I'm just disappointed I'm the only one with any credibility when it comes to music:)

*awaits the wrath of a few posters I know:)

Hmm I think I will let the Beatles answer this post

Day after day alone on a hill, the man with the foolish grin is keeping perfectly still

But nobody wants to know him, they can see that he's just a fool, and he never gives an answer

But the fool on the hill, sees the sun going down, and the eyes in his head, see the world spinning round

Well on the way, head in a cloud, the man of a thousand voices talking perfectly loud

But nobody ever hears him, or the sound he appears to make, and he never seems to notice

But the fool on the hill, sees the sun going down, and the eyes in his head, see the world spinning round

And nobody seems to like him, they can tell what he wants to do, and he never shows his feelings

Oh, round, round, round, round, round, and he never listens to them

He knows that they're the fools, they don't like him

The fool on the hill, sees the sun going down, and the eyes in his head, see the world spinning round

Oh, round, round, round, round, oh

I think you are confusing credibility with musical taste.

no, in fact I'm discussing the disparity of how the beatles are viewed. Contextually, they probably were the biggest band of the 60s and continue to influence millions. However, anyone that cannot see that they have been over-hyped loses credibility in my eyes. I like the beatles, really like them when I actually listen to them, but I don't because there are musically better bands out there. again, there are musically better bands out there.

:rolleyes:

without taking anything away (don't they have enough already?) from the fab four...let's just realize they weren't the first and they're not the last to make great music.