Let it Be Naked - Today is the day

southsider2k5

Please, at least the Beatles have/had music writing abilities.  Britney can barely write her own name.

Yess but if I had to spend a week in bed promoting peace let it be Spears :headbang not Lennon. Laying in bed with a dead guy has got to be creepy :D

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

no, in fact I'm discussing the disparity of how the beatles are viewed. Contextually, they probably were the biggest band of the 60s and continue to influence millions. However, anyone that cannot see that they have been over-hyped loses credibility in my eyes. I like the beatles, really like them when I actually listen to them, but I don't because there are musically better bands out there. again, there are musically better bands out there.

:rolleyes:

without taking anything away (don't they have enough already?) from the fab four...let's just realize they weren't the first and they're not the last to make great music.

Dude, what are you, the managing editor of Billboard magazine?

You judging who has credibility in judging music and who doesn't is completely insane.

"However, anyone that cannot see that they have been over-hyped loses credibility in my eyes."

I don't even know what to say to that comment.

http://www.rollingstone.com/features/featuregen.asp?pid=1114

Take a look at the READERS top 10 albums of all-time, I think the evidence pretty much speaks for itself. I think your little band Radiohead is even included in there. But then again, you'll probably claim that has no credibility either. :rolleyes:

Yess but if I had to spend a week in bed promoting peace let it be Spears  :headbang  not Lennon. Laying in bed with a dead guy has got to be creepy  :D

LMAO! :lol: Good one! I bet that's especially true not that the little bit of clothes that she does don will be off soon - see thread in Sports bar.

Dude, what are you, the managing editor of Billboard magazine?

You judging who has credibility in judging music and who doesn't is completely insane.

"However, anyone that cannot see that they have been over-hyped loses credibility in my eyes."

I don't even know what to say to that comment.

Take a look at the READERS top 10 albums of all-time, I think the evidence pretty much speaks for itself.  I think your little band Radiohead is even included in there.  But then again, you'll probably claim that has no credibility either. :rolleyes:

You said what I wanted to say. I couldn't think how to word it, but you got it perfect! Kudos to you! :headbang

Take a look at the READERS top 10 albums of all-time, I think the evidence pretty much speaks for itself.  I think your little band Radiohead is even included in there.  But then again, you'll probably claim that has no credibility either. :rolleyes:

Wow 4 of the 6 top albums of all time :headbang And further proof that Revolver is the best! :headbang

Take a look at the READERS top 10 albums of all-time, I think the evidence pretty much speaks for itself. I think your little band Radiohead is even included in there. But then again, you'll probably claim that has no credibility either. 

morons read RS. That same magazine put jack white in the top 10 guitarists ever...'nuff said.

Radiohead is a great band, quite influential...the beatles are much bigger than them in sphere of influence and over all affect on the music industry.

Once again, I'm not saying the beatles aren't great, they're just over-hyped by the masses. Great but not Gods. *sigh*

and yes, I have more knowledge about the music industry and music in general than 99% of the people on this board....I've stated before those posters to whom I listen to.

Mock me all you want, just don't talk about miss sox4life. :nono :lol:

Great, :bang  the musical Boog/61382.

hey, you're the ones that keep bringing it up:)

I'm just telling you how it is :rolleyes: :lol:

sorry my moods are cyclical. Just when I think I'm ok, I get all angsty. It's all this hot chicks stuff that's making my blood boil...I promise to be a nicer boy when I move back to PA. ;) ;) ;)

hey, you're the ones that keep bringing it up:)

I'm just telling you how it is :rolleyes:  :lol:

sorry my moods are cyclical. Just when I think I'm ok, I get all angsty. It's all this hot chicks stuff that's making my blood boil...I promise to be a nicer boy when I move back to PA. ;)  ;)  ;)

Sure Boog, we talk about it, and you tell us how wrong we are. You got a page long post , with no breaks, to tell us how we are all wrong and idiots, using another ID coming up next :lol: :bang

Sure Boog, we talk about it, and you tell us how wrong we are.  You got a page long post , with no breaks, to tell us how we are all wrong and idiots, using another ID coming up next :lol:  :bang

hahaha....no no.

I think you are all correct for liking the beatles. They're great. have fun, and I hope you listen to other stuff too :lol:

Life After The Beatles

I can't wait to publish my new book. all 3 of us can read it. :bang :lol: oh well, I try.

hahaha....no no.

I think you are all correct for liking the beatles. They're great. have fun, and I hope you listen to other stuff too :lol:

Life After The Beatles

I can't wait to publish my new book. all 3 of us can read it. :bang  :lol:  oh well, I try.

This may be the only thing sox4life and I agree on! Hooray!

I agree that the Beatles, while certainly one of the great bands of all time, are overrated. While arguing the merits of a band is always subjective, here are some of my reasons:

1) A lot of their stuff doesn't hold up well. for me, listening to most any Beatles tune pre-1965?(or whatever the year was, I'm talking the stuff found on the "Red" greatest hits album) really comes across as bland and bubble gum-y, especially in lyrical terms.

2) Their influence was a product of luck more than anything. Especially, again, in their early days, there were plenty of bands that were playing the same type stuff that they were, but the Beatles were the ones who got popular doing it. The fact that teenage girls would show up in the thousands crying at every airport really shouldn't affect their status as artists.

3) What is most popular doesn't necessarily make it the best. McDonald's is probably the highest-grossing, most popular restaurant ever, anyone think it's the best?

Just my opinion, and I also think that, as a musician, Bob Dylan sucked Donkey Balls and would have been better off writing songs, and letting others sing them, a la All Along the Watchtower.

This may be the only thing sox4life and I agree on!  Hooray!

I agree that the Beatles, while certainly one of the great bands of all time, are overrated.  While arguing the merits of a band is always subjective, here are some of my reasons:

1) A lot of their stuff doesn't hold up well.  for me, listening to most any Beatles tune pre-1965?(or whatever the year was, I'm talking the stuff found on the "Red" greatest hits album) really comes across as bland and bubble gum-y, especially in lyrical terms.

2) Their influence was a product of luck more than anything.  Especially, again, in their early days, there were plenty of bands that were playing the same type stuff that they were, but the Beatles were the ones who got popular doing it.  The fact that teenage girls would show up in the thousands crying at every airport really shouldn't affect their status as artists. 

3) What is most popular doesn't necessarily make it the best. McDonald's is probably the highest-grossing, most popular restaurant ever, anyone think it's the best?

Just my opinion, and I also think that, as a musician, Bob Dylan sucked Donkey Balls and would have been better off writing songs, and letting others sing them, a la All Along the Watchtower.

You are right about their early stuff. But that is what I find truly amazing. They were singing Can't Buy Me Love in 1964 and Helter Skelter in 1968. It's hard to believe it's the same band! Hell, it took REM about 10 years to go from making great music to music for vaginas.

Also, when I hear oldies on the radio and hear that they were out when some Beatles songs were out, I'm stunned. The pervert and the Jackson 5 were singing ABC the same time the Beatles were singing While My Guitar Gently Weeps. I find it amazing.

If by overhyped you mean that teenage girls shouldn't be feinting at the site of them, you're right. But still, they broke up 33 years ago and they're still one of the most popular bands.

excellent to both of you, thanks!

I think this is along the same lines, but it's awesome to see a band like the beatles take popular success and fame and then do what ever the hell they wanted to do with it...and turns out they were making up some great stuff.

All I'm saying is that there were other bands doing some amazing stuff too, and the beatles just get all the hype because the were "the biggest"

kudos for those posts guys!

hahaha....no no.

Life After The Beatles

I can't wait to publish my new book. all 3 of us can read it. :bang  :lol:  oh well, I try.

On the subject of life after the Beatles, anybody out there who is a fan of guitar-oriented power pop dripping juicy Beatle-esque harmonies, check out the Live 365 station Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs.

There are a few power pop streaming stations, but this one heas a really good mix of stuff. From Badfinger and Big Star to The Deal, Replacements, Material Issue (a phenomemal Chicago band from the late 80s-early 90s), Belew and the Bears etc., to new stuff like astroPuppies and Switchblade Kittens and such. You couldn't listen to this 24/7, but it's a great station when you need your fill of throw-away pop hooks.

This may be the only thing sox4life and I agree on! Hooray!

I agree that the Beatles, while certainly one of the great bands of all time, are overrated. While arguing the merits of a band is always subjective, here are some of my reasons:

1) A lot of their stuff doesn't hold up well. for me, listening to most any Beatles tune pre-1965?(or whatever the year was, I'm talking the stuff found on the "Red" greatest hits album) really comes across as bland and bubble gum-y, especially in lyrical terms.

2) Their influence was a product of luck more than anything. Especially, again, in their early days, there were plenty of bands that were playing the same type stuff that they were, but the Beatles were the ones who got popular doing it. The fact that teenage girls would show up in the thousands crying at every airport really shouldn't affect their status as artists.

Of course Beatles are overrated, how could they NOT be?! They are simply not the genii world-savers they've been billed as for some 40 years. Nobody can justify that kind of hype. Not denying their were immensely influential or seminal, just stating the obvious.

(I also find it hilarious that we are debating relative merits of bands, nitpicking really all the while Titney, J-Lo, Oldonna and Co are operating on the grand scale with total critical impunity. They are fun and harmless afterall, no? Some perspective here.)

Subjectivity aside, one thing is for sure: Beatles' song-writing talent outgrew their ability to instrumentalize and perform it almost immediately. That much is certain.

LIBN? Anyone here who actually PREFERRED "sound-wall"? Spector is shady fo sho, but Paul Mac's scapegoating skills were always amazing.

On the subject of life after the Beatles, anybody out there who is a fan of guitar-oriented power pop dripping juicy Beatle-esque harmonies, check out the Live 365 station Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs

There are a few power pop streaming stations, but this one heas a really good mix of stuff.  From Badfinger and Big Star to The Deal, Replacements, Material Issue (a phenomemal Chicago band from the late 80s-early 90s), Belew and the Bears etc., to new stuff like astroPuppies and Switchblade Kittens and such.  You couldn't listen to this 24/7, but it's a great station when you need your fill of throw-away pop hooks.

One of my favorite albums in college was International Pop Overthrow by Material Issue. Great CD. They had another one later that was pretty good, but the name escapes me now. I need to get my hands on a copy of IPO again. Too bad Jim (?) Ellison offed himself.

International Pop Overthrow is still great to listen to. The next couple albums started to sound more the same, but still great pop writing by Ellison. I think it was '95 or '96 when he killed himself. It was like a year later before I found out and I hadn't listened to IPO in a couple of years. I put it on and remembered how dark the lyrics were underneath all the peppy catchy tunes.

I used to see Material Issue at Mabel's at UofI on maybe a bi-monthly basis in 88-89 or so. I noted the place took a sad turn for the metallic worse when I went back for a visit a few years later. Any improvement since then??

Ya know, I never had the pleasure of visiting Mabel's. The Blind Pig also had live music, but never went there either. Were never any acts there that I was interested in. I saw a few acts at Nature's Table, before they tore it down. I heard that Material Issue played a frat party while I was there and Ellison couldn't have been a bigger dick. At the time I didn't have the bad view of frats that I grew to have later on, otherwise I would have liked him even more.

I was back in Champaign a few weeks ago for work and took a spin around campus. I hardly even recognized the place, and it's only been 9 years. Not sure if Mabels or Blind Pig still exist.

Best rock concert I've ever seen was down there, Midnight Oil at Assembly Hall in 1990. Absolutely incredible.

Midnight Oil would have been a good show. I saw U2, REM, and Peter Gabriel at Assembly Hall shows, all quite good. I saw and met Stevie Ray Vaughan at a show in Follinger Auditorium in '87 (and I got my Fender Tele' signed by him, still a prized possession). Farm Aid (the first one) was the fall of my freshman year, and that was fun.

Some great, once-in-a-lifetime type shows I saw at Mabel's included Living Colour right before the debut album came out, and also Jane's Addiction just before Nothing's Shocking was released. We'd always make it out to see Champaign native Adrian Belew whenever he came through town. Local bands of the day that I'd make a point of seeing included Mudhens, Lonely Trailer, Otis and the Elevators, Naked Apes, Modern Humans/Smoking Toast, Plump Harriet, Sorghum (Nature's Table favs), Combo Audio, Elvis Brothers occassionally, Catfish and Carter, Vehicle In Tow, the band (?) that became Haardvark... don't know if any of those was still around beyond 1989. I went to class now and then, too.

I worked nights at a Gyro shop right across from Murphy's and two doors down from Mabel's, so after we got off work we'd usually grab a pint and catch some music or go to a house party if a band we knew was playing, or if they needed a band that worked cheap. I also worked weekends at one of the record stores amd that helped defray the cost of the habit. It sucked once I graduated and had to start paying for CDs.