Bluff Called...Minaya’s Hand Overplayed

MurcieOne

They came out and said they need to cut 10 mil off the payroll. MLB told them to cut payroll, they have no choice, there gonna deal somebody, the only question is who?

I still doubt they will cut 10 mil and lose Colon, since the team needs a few name players for the presumption that they will be competitve for the new buyer. I know they weretold to cut the 10 mil, but nothingis consisent from Selig's office. Just a hunch. I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

They came out and said they need to cut 10 mil off the payroll. MLB told them to cut payroll, they have no choice, there gonna deal somebody, the only question is who?

I still doubt they will cut 10 mil and lose Colon, since the team needs a few name players for the presumption that they will be competitve for the new buyer. I know they weretold to cut the 10 mil, but nothingis consisent from Selig's office. Just a hunch. I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

With his upcoming free agency I don't know how much value would be placed on Colon by a prospective owner.

I think the Sox have a real good shot right now.

The Sox have always had a shot. If JR and KW were serious about acquiring Colon, he'd have been trying on a White Sox jersey at a news conference by now. I'm getting sick of saying it. Check the sig....

Boom....exactly. If we were to expect a move, it would be Paul Wilson or Jeff Suppan putting on a Sox uni.

Atleast KW basically admitted a mistake with not resigning Ritchie. God Ritchie sucks.

Guest Ncorgbl

With his upcoming free agency I don't know how much value would be placed on Colon by a prospective owner.

Rights. The right to bargain with Colon, and the compensation if he leaves via free agency. Colon is worth something to Monteal.

Guest Ncorgbl

From the article;

"Omar Minaya went into the winter meetings knowing he was instructed to cut salary at all costs..."

Evidently the message was not that strong, or he was instructed in French. Minaya doesn't act like a man under orders to cut salary at all costs.

I remain convinced that he is not under that much pressure to dump payroll, as Ncorg has stated, there need to be assets there for a new buyer and Colon could well be one of them, and if not Colon, assets equal. No buyer wants to gtet a 50 win team, they will wanmt something competitive. Vidro is who I like on them most anyway and while we don't need Vidro, I'd take him in a heartbeat with a multi-year contract and get some stabilty at 2nd, I mean, when you can upgrade that much... I'd do it. Any pitcher will imporve with Vidro behind him.

Minaya has been given a budget, if he doesn't follow it, he'll send the Expos into millions of dollars of debt. He has no choice but to cut payroll. This has been made pretty clear, the owner committee operating the Expos come out and said cut 10 mil, Minaya waited to the last second and now he's gonna get screwed.