Reflecting on Wrestling

AssHatSoxFan

Anyone remember Demolition and the Hart Foundation? Stuff like that in the mid to late 80's was great. Ted Diabiase and his Gold and diamond belt, virgil, road warriors, mr. perfect, rick rude and jake the snake....and "The Model" Rick Martel. God, those old pay per views were great. My uncle had a bunch on tape when I was young and getting into it and I loved it. Then it died out when I was in high school and I have barely watched it since.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone remember when Dennis Rodman took on Karl Malone? The Bulls had beaten the Jazz two straight years in the NBA Championship, and two weeks later, Rodman killed Malone. That was funny as hell, and must've poured a little salt into the wounds of Jazz fans...lol!

Anyone remember Demolition and the Hart Foundation?  Stuff like that in the mid to late 80's was great.  Ted Diabiase and his Gold and diamond belt, virgil, road warriors, mr. perfect, rick rude and jake the snake....and "The Model" Rick Martel.  God, those old pay per views were great.  My uncle had a bunch on tape when I was young and getting into it and I loved it.  Then it died out when I was in high school and I have barely watched it since.

I remember all those old guys. :headbang For me, It wasnt that the old wrestling was great it just seems nostalgic to watch them.

Forget what Wrestlemania it was......but for me when Hulk Hogan fought Ultimate Warrior title for title it was one of the greatest matches I've ever seen. Recently viewed the tape and realized how cheesy it was. Hogan was probably one of the worst wrestlers in the league (except Andre the giant of course). Back in the early 90s when the Hulk fan base was at its peak the WWF would perform infront of 90,000 people. Cant draw those number today

Anyone remember Demolition and the Hart Foundation?  Stuff like that in the mid to late 80's was great.  Ted Diabiase and his Gold and diamond belt, virgil, road warriors, mr. perfect, rick rude and jake the snake....and "The Model" Rick Martel.  God, those old pay per views were great.  My uncle had a bunch on tape when I was young and getting into it and I loved it.  Then it died out when I was in high school and I have barely watched it since.

Scary thought...cuz Rick Rude, Mr. perfect, and one of the Road Warriors are now all dead. Victims of the lifestyle they led in WWF. And Jake Roberts is a complete waste nowadays. Theres a documentary with him and some other 80's wrestlers in it. The guy doesnt talk to his daughter ever, went to her graduation and saw her for the first time in 10+ years. He was doing drugs still, quite sad.

I used to watch it back in the Hulk Hogan/Ultimate Warrior days until maybe 10 years ago. I used to love it back in the day, all the wrestlers were great and they all were pretty much real cheesy charactures on steroids. They had some great names for some of these guys, ie Razor Ramon, Hacksaw Jim Duggins, Jake "The Snake", honestly why would anyone ever make a character whos claim to fame is that he carries a 2 by 4 around with him. On another note what ever happened to Razor Ramon?

I used to watch it back in the Hulk Hogan/Ultimate Warrior days until maybe 10 years ago.  I used to love it back in the day, all the wrestlers were great and they all were pretty much real cheesy charactures on steroids.  They had some great names for some of these guys, ie Razor Ramon, Hacksaw Jim Duggins, Jake "The Snake", honestly why would anyone ever make a character whos claim to fame is that he carries a 2 by 4 around with him.  On another note what ever happened to Razor Ramon?

See my earlier post Willie....Razor Ramon was Scott Hall before changing his gig. He had an awful fake accent

How can there be any talk about wrestling without mentioning Macho Man Randy Savage, Brutus "the barber" BeefCake, or Rowdy Piper?

I think the best part for me though, were those guys who were in the high school wrestling get ups who fought like the Characters...

In this corner, the challenger, hailing from Peduka, Kentucky...weighing 165 lbs...Troy MacDougal!

*lights go dark....laser lights flash....explosions....smoke.....C+C Music Factory blares over the PA*

and in the other corner....MR PEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERFECT!

knee slappin' goodness:

anyone remember about 3-5 years ago when wrestling was at its peak with DX, the Rock, Stone Cold, the corporate ministry, the godfather and all that fun stuff even WCW and the nWo

just wanted to start this to see if anyone else has stuff to add cuz i could go on and on but instead i will just add as this goes along

Pat O'Connor Vs Dick Hoover, Pat O'Connor v Buddy Rogers, Buddy Rogers v Bruno Sammartino, Lou Thesz v anybody. Those were the days.

Koko B. Ware!!!! :headbang  :headbang  :headbang

OMG!! That guy cracked me up. My favorites were Big John Studd, Iron Sheik, Kevin Nash, Rowdy Roddy Piper, Ax, Smash, Crush, The Undertaker (and his brother, can't remember his name) and George 'the Animal' Steele to name a few. I absolutely hated BeefCake. In the other wrestling there were the Von Erichs (sp?) - especially Kerry (RIP).

I remember being a kid (under 10 yrs old) and my sister, brother and myself would go out and play in the snow for a couple hours and we would come in for wrestling and the awesome hot chocolate w/ tons of marshmallows my mom would make - those were some good times.

Is Sting still in wrestling?  Or Brett the Hitman?

After WCW was purchased by Vince McMahon, Sting decided to sit at home and get paid his 7 figure check. He now wrestles for NWA-TNA a wrestling promotion on PPV.

Bret Hart had his career ended by Bill Goldberg when he was in WCW. Suffered a concussion in the ring, then a year later had a stroke.

My kinda thread, I love wrestling talk. Guess that's why Gash says I have no life. :lol:

Anywho, WWE just released a 3-disc Ric Flair DVD set. 10 1/2 hours long, goes over his whole career history, has a s*** load of matches from his days in the NWA with Terry Funk and Dusty Rhodes. I'm getting mine today.

Remember "Saturday Night's Main Event" before PPV's?

Best recent "heels":

1.) HHH (the heel every bad guy aspires to be)

2.) "The Corporate Champion" Rock

3.) "Hollywood" Hulk Hogan

4.) Kurt Angle

5.) Chris Jericho w/Ralphus

Best recent "faces":

1.) "Stone Cold" Steve Austin..... WHAT? (The Corporation Years)

2.) "The People's Champion" Rock

3.) Mick Foley

Best "face" (history):

1.) Hulk Hogan

Best all-around wrestler:

1.) "The Whole F'n Show" Rob Van Dam. List begins and ends here.

Funniest Wrestling Moments Ever:

1.) Mick Foley's "Rock..... This Is Your Life!"

2.) Jerry "The King" Lawler and Andy Kaufman's "feud"

3.) Pat Patterson attempting a "stink face" on Rikishi with skid marks visible on his underwear

4.) Mick Foley and "Socko" attempting to cheer Vince McMahon up in the hospital

Best Matches (in no particular order):

Mick Foley and Undertaker (Hell in the Cell)

The Hardy Boyz and the Dudley Boyz (Ladder Match at Wrestlemania)

Any ECW match involving Rob Van Dam and Sabu

Best "angle":

WCW's NWO..... which made Hulk Hogan into the unthinkable..... a bad guy. Not to mention, this "angle"..... simply put..... almost buried the WWF. Had WCW been run by a wrestling guy like the WWF's Vince McMahon, WCW would probably be the only name in wrestling right now.

I have to laugh at you youngsters talking about the "Prime" of wrestling 5 or 10 years ago. The "good old days" were in the early 80's. You had the Buzz Sawyer - Tommy "Wildfire" Rich Feud in the NWA. The beginning of the 4 Horsemen vs Dusty Rhodes. Greg Valentine - Roddy Piper in the chain match that broke Piper's eardrum. The Freebirds - Von Erich's in WCCW. The Snuka - Backlund/Albano feud in the WWF. The birth of Hulk Hogan, the Road Warriors, Jesse Ventura, Rick Martel, Scott Hall, etc in the AWA. Back when a feud was actually built over several months and culminated in a matchup. Back when a pay per view was actually a special event. Maybe 1 or 2 a year. Not this every month crap. Back when a wrestler had to actually have wrestling and mic skills to build the intensity for their feuds. Matches that lasted longer than 8 minutes.

The Moondogs. Midnight Express. Rock -n- Roll Express. Gino Hernandez. Nikita Koloff...the list goes on.

I have to laugh at you youngsters talking about the "Prime" of wrestling 5 or 10 years ago.  The "good old days" were in the early 80's.  You had the Buzz Sawyer - Tommy "Wildfire" Rich Feud in the NWA.  The beginning of the 4 Horsemen vs Dusty Rhodes.  Greg Valentine - Roddy Piper in the chain match that broke Piper's eardrum.  The Freebirds - Von Erich's in WCCW.  The Snuka - Backlund/Albano feud in the WWF.  The birth of Hulk Hogan, the Road Warriors, Jesse Ventura, Rick Martel, Scott Hall, etc in the AWA.  Back when a feud was actually built over several months and culminated in a matchup.  Back when a pay per view was actually a special event.  Maybe 1 or 2 a year.  Not this every month crap.  Back when a wrestler had to actually have wrestling and mic skills to build the intensity for their feuds.  Matches that lasted longer than 8 minutes.   

The Moondogs.  Midnight Express.  Rock -n- Roll Express. Gino Hernandez.  Nikita Koloff...the list goes on.

Road Warriors! :headbang

Greg Valentine made me nautious

Nakita Koloff!!!! He cracked me up!

:fyou Hulk Hogan - I never could stand him and he doesn't seem to want to go away, him and Rick Flair, blech!

Jesse Ventura was a trip back then with his feather boa.

Captain Lou Albano and his rubberbands in his beard, hah!

The freebirds were funny and they were in the opening of "Highlander" :headbang

My favorite match of all time was Dustin Rhodes vs the Blacktop Bully (I do believe his name was). It was on the back of a semi truck and there was hay and stuff all set up. It was the first one to ring a bell in the front of the truck.

One great match was the Taskmaster Kevin Sullivan vs Chris Benoit, loser leaves WCW. The match lasted forever, and it was no holds barred. They fought everywhere even in the bathroom.

My favorite ECW angle was the Triple Threat.

My favorite ECW angle was the Triple Threat.

Candino, Franchise Shane Douglas, and Bam Bam were great as heels :headbang

IMO, Biggest ECW angles: The Original Gansta New Jack, The Sandman, Tazz, Justin Credible, and the "Homicidal....Genodical.......Suicidal maniac" Sabu.

Even though New Jack was never that good at wrestling........when the crowd began making an X with the arms and "Natural Born Killaz" blasted in the speakers everyone went nuts. You knew that when he came out with a garbage can full of weapons someone was getting their ass whooped.

Steve, are you one of the two guys wresting in your sig?

My avatar is of Daniel Cormier (wearing the orange; then of Okie State, now ranked #1 at 96 kgs in the US Freestyle rankings) throwing a Michigan guy (I can't tell who he is).

My sig, well I am unsure. I would bet that it is either high school wrestling, an open college tourny, or summer wrestling. The blue and white singlet kind of looks like an old Team Tennessee singlet, but I cannot tell if it says Tennessee in orange down the white decline. He is hitting a lateral drop in the picture, which is known by most high school wrestlers, so I would bet that he is of high school age.

I was thinking about this some more and had a few more names to throw out for you guys.

The Mounty(and his tazer), Mr. Fuji, Paul Orndorf, The Rockers(shawn michaels and marty janetty sp?), Tito Santana(Chico haha) and the list goes on. Man, so sad where some of these guys have gone.

Oh yeah, I still remember the Freebirds in the beginning of Highlander too right before he fights in the parking garage.

Saturday Night Main Event was a great show that came on once and a while. I loved it. That along with the Monsoon/Heenan angle was great. Those two were awesome together. I really miss the old monday night show.

What about Tatanka? He was awesome.

One thing I would love to see is Kurt Angle vs Brock Lesnar in a real wrestling match. A former Olympic Champion and NCAA Champion vs another NCAA Champion. Angle would have the expierence and technique, Lesnar would have his size. Has anyone seen a Brock Lesnar match when he was in college. I would think it is safe to assume I am the only one. He was huge, but not as big as he is now.

I also love seeing the MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) guys wrestling. From Shamrock to Tank Abbott.

What about Tatanka? He was awesome.

One thing I would love to see is Kurt Angle vs Brock Lesnar in a real wrestling match. A former Olympic Champion and NCAA Champion vs another NCAA Champion. Angle would have the expierence and technique, Lesnar would have his size. Has anyone seen a Brock Lesnar match when he was in college. I would think it is safe to assume I am the only one. He was huge, but not as big as he is now.

I also love seeing the MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) guys wrestling. From Shamrock to Tank Abbott.

That would be a pretty mad matchup rite there, Angle and Lesnar in a real wrestling match. U can also throw in Benoit in there as well, he's a real sound techincal wrestler.