I gotta question

witesoxfan

I'd offer him $1 m to make up for the cheapo thing from last year as a gfood faith gesture to get that long term contract signed.  A little sweet money may adjust some attitiudes after past hurts and enable a deal to be worked out.

Agreed....with Jose and Caballo leaving after this year(presumably), that will free up $9 mill....so if we acquire Colon, that still gives us a little room to work with(though I believe Maggs goes from $9 mill this year to $14 mill next year, and than he's a FA...we better as hell resign him).

Let me think about this for a second here......Jose and Caballo are gone after next year...as I already said. Osuna is gone too....so that's about $11.5 or $12 mill or something like that gone next year. Get Buehrle for $1,000,000 and then Maggs' salary increases by $5 million....that takes up about half of it. Unless we sign Koch to a bigger deal, than he will get a lot in arbitration as well...which will probably take up about $5 mill or so....which leaves us at approximately $2 mill left.

From here, we have two options:

1) Hope Frank gets out of his deal after this year

2) Dish out more money to resign Colon

I'd say that we better as hell hope we win a s***load this year and get a hell of a lot of money....or else we could be feeling the feeling we had from 1995-1999 again.

My question is about one of our ex-minor leaguers, Gary Majewski. I know he's been with us for a few years and that we traded him to the Dodgers and then got him back in another trade. Last year he posted very good stats (ERA, K's, etc.) in the minors, and we left him exposed to the Rule 5 Draft, and he was gobbled up by someone (Toronto, I believe). I'm sure we knew he would be taken in that draft, but we could have protected him on the 40 man roster, where we still have room. I know we have better pitching prospects in the minors, but he certainly could have been used as trade bait, because other teams don't have the pithing prospects that we do. Then, if we subsequently needed the roster spot, we could always cut him anyway. Since we had and still have the roster room and there are some others on the 40 man roster that really have little chance of ever playing in the bigs, why not keep him? Is it the $50 K we got for him? I'll be following his progress in 2003, where he has to be on the big league roster of his new team, or offered back to the Sox.

I'd offer him $1 m to make up for the cheapo thing from last year as a gfood faith gesture to get that long term contract signed.  A little sweet money may adjust some attitiudes after past hurts and enable a deal to be worked out.

Agreed....with Jose and Caballo leaving after this year(presumably), that will free up $9 mill....so if we acquire Colon, that still gives us a little room to work with(though I believe Maggs goes from $9 mill this year to $14 mill next year, and than he's a FA...we better as hell resign him).

Let me think about this for a second here......Jose and Caballo are gone after next year...as I already said. Osuna is gone too....so that's about $11.5 or $12 mill or something like that gone next year. Get Buehrle for $1,000,000 and then Maggs' salary increases by $5 million....that takes up about half of it. Unless we sign Koch to a bigger deal, than he will get a lot in arbitration as well...which will probably take up about $5 mill or so....which leaves us at approximately $2 mill left.

From here, we have two options:

1) Hope Frank gets out of his deal after this year

2) Dish out more money to resign Colon

I'd say that we better as hell hope we win a s***load this year and get a hell of a lot of money....or else we could be feeling the feeling we had from 1995-1999 again.

The good thing is, in this market, Maggs probably wouldn't get 14 million on the open market. If the Sox were smart, they'd start talking with him this upcoming offseason on a deal that would avg around 10 million a year.

My question is about one of our ex-minor leaguers, Gary Majewski.  I know he's been with us for a few years and that we traded him to the Dodgers and then got him back in another trade.  Last year he posted very good stats (ERA, K's, etc.) in the minors, and we left him exposed to the Rule 5 Draft, and he was gobbled up by someone (Toronto, I believe).  I'm sure we knew he would be taken in that draft, but we could have protected him on the 40 man roster, where we still have room.  I know we have better pitching prospects in the minors, but he certainly could have been used as trade bait, because other teams don't have the pithing prospects that we do.  Then, if we subsequently needed the roster spot, we could always cut him anyway.  Since we had and still have the roster room and there are some others on the 40 man roster that really have little chance of ever playing in the bigs, why not keep him?  Is it the $50 K we got for him?  I'll be following his progress in 2003, where he has to be on the big league roster of his new team, or offered back to the Sox.

Great question Jim. I think the whole reason the Sox made the move is because they had other plans for the 40 man roster. I also think the Sox will end up getting Majewski back, but Toronto is a team that could hold him in the bullpen for a full season.

Plus, Gary could prove ready for the major leagues. He has real good stuff and it was a great draft pick on there part.

Agreed....with Jose and Caballo leaving after this year(presumably),

Why CLee gone? Valentin, sure, is overpaid now and I am sure will be gone with whoever ends up as shortstop - Jimenez, I presume. Borchard comes up mid late season, and we have an OF of Mags, Borchard and CLee which is an awesome hitting trio of outfielders. What is the thinking here, and as always, I ask to learn what others think, not to argue.

C-Dub...I figure that if we do in fact get Colon, then we will want to resign him, and if we want to give Buehrle a decent contract, then we will need some money....unless JR is willing to dish out some money, which he isn't too fond of doing, than we probably won't keep CLee....he will probably cost somewhere around $6-7 mill next year, and if we can use a better ball player all around(though Carlos is a better hitter) in Aaron Rowand as a stop gap for Anthony Webster, I'd rather do that....we're going to have Rowand in CF this year....and then we'll have Borchard waiting in the wings. Why should we put AR in that kind of situation again? He was given the starting job last year and then at the last second we signed Kenny Lofton....Lofton stunk after the first month and that left Aaron on the bench again.

I like Lee's bat....and that's it. He's a douche on the basepaths, he's a douche in the field and he couldn't throw out a runner to save his life. If Borchard is ready next year, let's give him the job in LF out of ST.....we didn't pay him $5.3 mill to sit in the minors. Give Aaron 4 years or so, and then let him go, with Webster coming in and filling in his spot.

Unless of course this whole thing comes crashing down....if we get Colon and/or Vazquez, and we suck next year, trade away everything and rebuild. This, IMO, is now or never, assuming we get Colon. Damnit, I keep saying assuming...I want to say with Colon and yadda yadda yadda.

Guest hotsoxchick1
So then they have to agree on something there....OK

Techincally they don't agree on anything there - the arbitrator must choose either the $ figure suggested by the team, or the $ figure suggested by the player.

and to add to that.... then the arbitrator also has to look at what pitchers of the same calibur are making at the time of the arbitration and then decide what mark would be worth.............