Christmas Season

mreye

The Lite (93.9) is playing 24 hours-a-day Christmas music already. Last year they started Thanksgiving weekend, but this year I heard it on Tuesday afternnon. I don't know when the actually started, though.

If you ask me, it's getting rediculous!

The Lite (93.9) is playing 24 hours-a-day Christmas music already. Last year they started Thanksgiving weekend, but this year I heard it on Tuesday afternnon. I don't know when the actually started, though.

If you ask me, it's getting rediculous!

So is 100.3. It really ticks me off because now I have to avoid 2 stations in the morning that I frequent. I was hoping they would hold off until at least the Friday after Thanksgiving.

When the department stores clear out the summer seasonal stuff in August to make room for Christmas stuff you know it has gotten absurd.

It's funny, I usually grumble and humbug my way to Christmas and eventually get into the spirit of things around Dec. 22 or so. Then, unfortunately, the #%&$#! Christmas music is stuck in my head until about mid-February -- I catch myself shistling the stuff around Groundhog Day sometimes. :angry:

So is 100.3.  It really ticks me off because now I have to avoid 2 stations in the morning that I frequent.  I was hoping they would hold off until at least the Friday after Thanksgiving.

Last year they did. I think they might have started the week before because of Thanksgiving being so late this year.

I heard 100.3 also, but I wasn't sure if it was 24/7.

Last year they did. I think they might have started the week before because of Thanksgiving being so late this year.

I heard 100.3 also, but I wasn't sure if it was 24/7.

I don't know for certain if it is 24/7, but whenever I flip over there, Christmas music is being played. I thought they said something to the effect that they were 24/7 until Christmas, but I could be wrong.

The Church liturgical answer:

Absent all the technical data about placement to St. Andrews Day, the 4 Sundays prior to Christmas are the Advent Season. That is a full 4 Sundays so if December 25 is a Sunday, 27 November is the 1st Sunday in Advent. The latest that the 1st Sunday in Advent can be is December 3rd.

So this upcoming Sunday is the 1st Sunday in Advent.

December 6th is the Commemoration of St. Nicholaus.

Christmas begins at midnight December 24/25. The Nativity of our Savior may be liturgically celebrated on the evening of December 24th.

There are 12 days of Christmas - they are really 12 days of Christmas, December 25-January 5.

The time to properly put up your Christmas tree is December 24th and it goes down January 5th. Christmas music does not get played until the Nativity of our Savior worship service and not until then. Christmas music gets played from the Nativity of our Savior worship service through January 5th.

January 6th, the 13th day after Christmas, is the Day of Epiphany and that ends the Christmas music.

If everyone followed the liturgical calendar, Christmas would not be tiresome and the music annoying before we even get there.

A side note: in Greek there is no letter "ch" it is an "X." In many litugical symbols the X represents Christ, sometimes an XR (the Chi Rho). You will see the X representing Christ on clerical and church vestments, stained glass windows, Chrismons, etc. It has ancient liturgical usage. Thus if I write Xmas, I am not taking Christ out of Christmas (a claim made by uninformed people), I am using the traditional Church symbol for Christ.

We just decorate the inside of our house. Everyone is too lazy to put up lights on the outside. When I was younger we'd always do it and it be this whole day. Like the day after thanksgiving or the following weekend we'd do it.

Now, usually around the 7th or 8th of december we pick up a Christmas tree and put the lights and ornaments and decorate the inside.

I know it does not start tomorrow (Tuesday), but FOX doesn't. They're running "An American Idol Christmas". Just thinking about that gives me a serious case of the jibblies.

It's bad enough that there's some crappy american idol special on. But to top it off they're going to let them butcher christmas songs two days before thanksgiving.

:fyou FOX

The Church liturgical answer:

Absent all the technical data about placement to St. Andrews Day, the 4 Sundays prior to Christmas are the Advent Season.  That is a full 4 Sundays so if December 25 is a Sunday, 27 November is the 1st Sunday in Advent. The latest that the 1st Sunday in Advent can be is December 3rd.

So this upcoming Sunday is the 1st Sunday in Advent.

December 6th is the Commemoration of St. Nicholaus. 

Christmas begins at midnight December 24/25.  The Nativity of our Savior may be liturgically celebrated on the evening of December 24th.

There are 12 days of Christmas - they are really 12 days of Christmas, December 25-January 5. 

The time to properly put up your Christmas tree is December 24th and it goes down January 5th. Christmas music does not get played until the Nativity of our Savior worship service and not until then.  Christmas music gets played from the Nativity of our Savior worship service through January 5th.

January 6th, the 13th day after Christmas, is the Day of Epiphany and that ends the Christmas music.

If everyone followed the liturgical calendar, Christmas would not be tiresome and the music annoying before we even get there.

A side note: in Greek there is no letter "ch" it is an "X."  In many litugical symbols the X represents Christ, sometimes an XR (the Chi Rho).  You will see the X representing Christ on clerical and church vestments, stained glass windows, Chrismons, etc.  It has ancient liturgical usage.  Thus if I write Xmas, I am not taking Christ out of Christmas (a claim made by uninformed people), I am using the traditional Church symbol for Christ.

Leave it to Mr. Churchy Pants for the real answer. :lol:

BTW, how is Michigan doing this year? :D