Cubs Trade For D. Lee

Soxbadger

Associated Press

CHICAGO -- The Cubs added some power to their lineup Tuesday, acquiring Derrek Lee from the Florida Marlins for Hee Seop Choi and a minor leaguer to be named.

Lee hit .271 with 31 homers, 92 RBI and 21 steals last season for the World Series champion Marlins. Lee has 20 homers in each of his last four seasons and has 40 steals over the last two years -- the most by any first baseman in the majors.

Lee also is considered one of the game's best defensive first basemen, and he won his first Gold Glove this year.

Interesting move, hopefully this makes Reinsdorf want to spend more money and actually try and compete to win the city back. Who knows, he did sign the first 10million dollar a year contract, maybe hell go crazy and give us a real payroll.

We can always hope.

SB

So much for that great core of players they had. Bobby Hill, Hee Seop Choi, Juan Cruz and others were supposed to be the future of that team.

Hehe, makes me laugh.

Lee's a good player though. He strikes out like 125 times a year though, so I guess he'll fit in perfectly with that group. This year they'll lead the league in both K categories....pitching-wise and on offense.

lee is over rated, .271 average isnt great, 31 homers is good but who the hell cares about stolen bases in a firstbaseman?

thomas hit 40 homeruns and hit in the .270's. all the cubs got is a player in between frank thomas and paul konerko but with speed

But anyway, choi is a good pick up for Florida cuz they drop payroll and get a prospect with MLB experience. I am interested to see who else the cubs gave up, probaby a pitching prospect? :usa

lee is over rated, .271 average isnt great, 31 homers is good but who the hell cares about stolen bases in a firstbaseman?

thomas hit 40 homeruns and hit in the .270's. all the cubs got is a player in between frank thomas and paul konerko but with speed :usa

Look at the ballpark he played his homegames in, and where he is going now. His numbers are going to be huge at the Urinal.

This is a great move from the Cubs standpoint and the Marlins. Choi is a good first baseman, one who is major league ready, imo. The one problem I see with the Cubs is they have all righties.

As far as the Sox go though, this is great cause the Dodgers and Orioles can compete for Paul Konerko's services :)

I was surprised they traded Choi. I think he will be good and he is a powerful lefty. I'd trade for him here in the Sox uni and let Choi show the Cubs what they let go.

Gotta give it to the cubs mgt. they want to win next year and they are spending money. Also heard from Bruce Levine, the cubs are heavy pursuit of LaTroy Hawkins.

And Kenny is Still..... ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

JR is still seeing how we can get to 50 million on the payroll.. This Sucks  :angry:

And were stuck with Paul "Iron Glove" Slownerko

I can't say that sitting around is a bad thing in this market. Prices keep dropping and players are gonna have to get on the offensive. The thing is I'd like to see KW at least move the salaries so he's in position to be on the offensive when the time is right.