Last Week BA

LDF

CHICAGO–Former Long Beach State Dirtbags Jeremy Reed and Edgar Varela took different gates into the White Sox

organization, but both made immediate contributions.

Reed, a second-round pick in June, came through the front entrance after being a standout outfielder-first baseman both on Team USA and in three seasons at Long Beach. Varela, a 31st-round pick after a hamate injury sidelined him for most of his senior season, entered through the back door.

It was no surprise Reed came out swinging, hitting .319-4-31 with 17 stolen bases at low Class A Kannapolis. But at the same time, Varela proved he might be a steal, as the 22-year-old played a solid third base and hit .330-8-40 for Rookie-level Bristol.

Varela joined top prospects Anthony Webster and Andy Gonzalez in a lineup that averaged 6.1 runs a game.

"He’s a power guy and he can really play third base," said scouting director Doug Laumann, who selected Varela off reports from his play in the Central Illinois Collegiate League in 2001. "He’s got great hands. But he was a guy who was drafted because we needed some balance with our younger players. He’s going to have to continue hitting as he moves up the ladder if he’s going to be a big league player."

Reed, 21, comes with a much better pedigree. He was Team USA’s leading hitter in 2001 and MVP of the Alaska League in 2000. He hit .326 in his three seasons at Long Beach and wound up second on the school’s career list with 55 stolen bases.

"Jeremy Reed’s a baseball player," Laumann said. "He did not surprise us. We thought he would hit .300 wherever he went, even Double-A. Plus I think he’s going to develop a little more power than he has right now."

Reed played both first base and outfield at Long Beach, but the White Sox drafted him strictly as an outfielder. "He’s a good outfielder," Laumann said. "He’ll be able to play center field, in my opinion."

Jeremy Reed is going to be real good imo. If only I knew how good he was at the time, I'd of seen him play a couple of times at Long Beach (My Schools rival).

The guy should move through the minors quickly this year and could compete with Aaron Rowand as the starting center fielder next year, if the Sox decide to let Lee move to first (If Thomas goes) or not resign Lee meaning Borchard would play left (Possibly right if Maggs moved to left)