Anyone else working right now?

sox4lifeinPA

Hell...NO and thank goodness I'm not in retail.

I played golf this morning, football after that...then had to get my cell phone fixed.

Just swithced to a new service since you can keep the same cell number now and they f***ed it all up and for a day no one could call my cell...but on the plus side they are giving me a free camera phone because of the problem...so it should be badass :)

this sucks...why would you need to bank at 5 pm on the friday night after thanksgiving?

you mfers.... :angry:  :bang  :bang

yo, I was sitting at the local bar happily playing the NTN game after a long day of work in the law office and also doing Sunday's church bulletin and setting up the chapel for Sunday (which is work, including change of paraments, setting up advent wreath, etc.) when suddenly I remember we have a law office client coming in tomorrow (Saturday) to sign the papers to close out the estate -

and after I tear the office apart looking for the file - normally the file hits my desk a few days before the client comes in so all the work is done in advance - I can't find the file and call the dumb ass who is the lawyer and say, "do you have the file at home?" The answer from Mr. I-havn't-done-a-damn-thing-on-this-estate-because-my-legal-assistant-has-done-everything is "oh yes, I am working on my bill."

:fyou :fyou :fyou :fyou :fyou

So I am sitting here trying to do all the final account paperwork, without the file, from documents on the computer when you have surely gone home from your banking job, Jas is reliving his golf, and everyone else is out partying.

So don't feel too bad for yourself...

yo, I was sitting at the local bar happily playing the NTN game after a long day of work in the law office and also doing Sunday's church bulletin and setting up the chapel for Sunday (which is work, including change of paraments, setting up advent wreath, etc.) when suddenly I remember we have a law office client coming in tomorrow (Saturday) to sign the papers to close out the estate -

and after I tear the office apart looking for the file - normally the file hits my desk a few days before the client comes in so all the work is done in advance - I can't find the file and call the dumb ass who is the lawyer and say, "do you have the file at home?"  The answer from Mr. I-havn't-done-a-damn-thing-on-this-estate-because-my-legal-assistant-has-done-everything is "oh yes, I am working on my bill."

:fyou  :fyou  :fyou  :fyou  :fyou

So I am sitting here trying to do all the final account paperwork, without the file, from documents on the computer when you have surely gone home from your banking job, Jas is reliving his golf, and everyone else is out partying.

So don't feel too bad for yourself...

oh no you didn't.... :nono

cdub I earned treasures in heaven today for having to work.

oh no you didn't.... :nono

cdub I earned treasures in heaven today for having to work.

what you mean, I didn't? yes I did!

two shifts at one job and 1 shift at the other.

you surely get paid for the time today?

I am on salary at the office so being there at 9 pm didn't earn me an extra cent and since the church gig is supported out of my own pocket (I work with people in adult foster care homes - they have no money, we take no collection) that is all not only income free but I pay to do it!

Not very bright on my part.

I am feeling very sorry for myself now but I am making the appropriate hand signs of forgiveness to get you some dispensation for whatever stray sin you may have once commiteed - we have no icons for the sign of the cross, which is really ironic if one thinks about it -

what you mean, I didn't?  yes I did!

two shifts at one job and 1 shift at the other.

you surely get paid for the time today?

I am on salary at the office so being there at 9 pm didn't earn me an extra cent and since the church gig is supported out of my own pocket (I work with people in adult foster care homes - they have no money, we take no collection) that is all not only income free but I pay to do it!

Not very bright on my part.

I am feeling very sorry for myself now but I am making the appropriate hand signs of forgiveness to get you some dispensation for whatever stray sin you may have once commiteed - we have no icons for the sign of the cross, which is really ironic if one thinks about it -

I'm dead at the bottom of the ocean. God's the only reason I'm metaphorically alive today.

I heard a really great sermon on Romans 9 about a month ago. Truly awesome preaching.

(uh oh, is it ok to talk about this side of sox4life???)

I am thinking that it would be impossible for me to do a sermon on Romans 9 - that out of context from the rest of Romans is impossible let alone the Prime Covennat (OT) referances from various places in genesis, Hosea, Isaiah, etc. - I'd handle that in a extended Bible study but too rich in imagry that I'd never let stand alone without context to try and grapple with that in the 7-10 minutes that I usually preach

but that is just me

I am thinking that it would be impossible for me to do a sermon on Romans 9 - that out of context from the rest of Romans is impossible let alone the Prime Covennat (OT) referances from various places in genesis, Hosea, Isaiah, etc. - I'd handle that in a extended Bible study but too rich in imagry that I'd never let stand alone without context to try and grapple with that in the 7-10 minutes that I usually preach

but that is just me

agreed. that's why this guy took 45 minutes.

Click on the Romans 9 link

not for the faint of heart, but its quite awesome. If you have questions, ask me.

I will check it but not tonight, gotta turn in, yoga at 8:30 comes early --

still, even in 45 minutes (who can preach for 45 minutes? way too long, to me) I wouldn't tackle it, it requires a conversation, a dialogue, that would be better in Bible study than the one-way monologue that is a sermon - but that is just me -

I will check it out tomorrow though -

thanks for the link - :headbang

what is work?

finalizing the church bulletin for tomorrow right now.

for the 1 or 2 people who might be interested, here it is. It does need to be read in its entirety if read at all to get the full flavor - I put something special in for Apu's birthday in the prayers of the people...

1st Sunday in Advent - Hope

30 November 2003

Confession and Assurance

Let us recognize in God’s presence our fallen state, but not without hope. The Love that created us to be beautiful is also the Love that rescues us from the fall and will restore beauty. In Christ who comes to us, we have a place in the salvation of God.

Thanks be to God!

Christ comes to us full of grace and truth. All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.

Bring us back, O God of hope,

let your face shine,

and we shall be saved.

The good things I want to do, I don’t do. Yet the evil I do not want, that I end up doing.

let your face shine,

and we shall be saved.

Christ, the offering once to bear the sin of many, will come again to save those who are waiting.

let your face shine,

and we shall be saved.

As with Adam all are fallen and die, so with Christ all shall rise and live.

let your face shine,

and we shall be saved.

I will return to my father and say: “Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you, I am no longer worthy to be called your child.”

let your face shine,

and we shall be saved.

But the father said: “Bring the best robe and put it on him, and put a ring on his finger and shoes on his feet..... for this my son was dead and is alive again, was lost and is found.”

You have brought us back,

O God of hosts!

In Christ your face has shown upon us,

and we are saved!

Lighting of the Advent Candles

Today is the first Sunday of Advent. Advent means "coming" and in this season we prepare for the coming of Christ. One of the ways we prepare is by an Advent wreath and lighting its candles to remind us of the gifts Christ brings to the world.

The wreath is in the shape of a circle. A circle has no beginning and has no end. This reminds us that there is no beginning and no end to God and that God's love and caring are forever.

The light from the candles - which grows stronger each Sunday in Advent, reminds us that Jesus is the light of the world.

Today we light the candle of hope. The people of Israel hoped in God's promises and were not disappointed. Again and again God delivered Israel from its enemies. We too have the same experience of salvation.

That is why we believe in God's promise to send Jesus to us once again to judge the world and establish the holy realm forever upon the earth.

Light the First Candle

Hope is like a light shining in a dark place. As we look at the light of this candle we celebrate the hope we have in Jesus Christ.

Advent Song

A Candle is burning,

a flame warm and bright,

a candle of hope

n December's dark night.

While angels sing blessing

from heavv'n's starry sky,

our hearts we prepare now

for Jesus is nigh!

Let us pray:

Thank you God for the hope you give us. We ask that as we wait for all your promises to come true, and for Christ to come again, that you would remain present with us. Help us today, and everyday to worship you, to hear your word, and to do your will by sharing your hope with each other. We ask it in the name of the one who was born in Bethlehem. Amen.

Entrance Hymn: Wake, awake for night is flying (Wachet Auf)

Wake, awake,

for night is flying;

The watchers on the heights are crying:

Awake, Jerusalem, at last!

Midnight hears the welcome voices

And at the thrilling cry rejoices;

Come forth, you maidens, night is past;

The Bridegroom comes, awake;

Your lamps with gladness take;

Alleluia!

Prepare yourselves

to meet the One

whose light has stirred the waiting guard.

Zion hears

the watchers singing,

And all her heart

with joy is springing;

She wakes,

she rises from her gloom;

For her Lord

comes down all glorious,

The strong in grace,

in truth victorious.

Her Star is risen,

her Light is come.

Oh, come you blessèd One,

God’s own belovèd Son:

Alleluia!

We go until

the halls we view

Where you have bid us dine with you.

Now let all

the heavens adore you,

And saints and angels sing before you,

With harp and cymbal’s all unite;

Of one pearl

each shining portal,

Where we are with the choir immortal

we gather round

your dazzling light;

No eye has seen, no ear

has yet been trained to hear

What there is ours!

Crescendos rise;

your halls resound;

hosannas blend in cosmic sound.

Greeting

The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, the love of God,

and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.

And also with you.

Kyrie

In peace, let us pray to the Lord.

Lord, have mercy.

For the peace from above,

and for our salvation,

let us pray to the Lord.

Lord, have mercy.

For the peace of the whole world, for the well-being of the Church of God,

and for the unity of all,

let us pray to the Lord.

Lord, have mercy.

For this holy house,

and for all who offer here their worship and praise,

let us pray to the Lord.

Lord, have mercy.

Help, save, comfort, and defend us, gracious Lord.

Amen.

Prayer of the Day (Collect)

Christ Jesus, the joy of loving hearts, be with you all!

And also with you.

Let us pray.

Stir up your power, O Lord, and come. Protect us by your strength and save us from the threatening dangers of our sins, for you live and reign with our Creator and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever.

Amen.

First Lesson from the Prime Covennat (Old Testament)

A reading from Jeremiah 33.14-16

The days are surely coming, says the LORD, when I will fulfill the promise I made to the house of Israel and the house of Judah. In those days and at that time I will cause a righteous Branch to spring up for David, who shall execute justice and righteousness in the land. In those days Judah will be saved and Jerusalem will live in safety. And this is the name by which those days will be called: "The LORD is our righteousness."

This is the Word of our God.

Thanks be to God.

Psalm 95.1-7 (sung)

To you, Adonai, I lift ^up my soul.

O my God, in ^you I trust;

do not let me be ^put to shame;

do not let my enemies exult ^over me.

Do not let those who wait for you be ^put to shame;

let them be ashamed who are wan^tonly treacherous.

Make me to know your ways, ^Adonai;

teach ^me your paths.

Lead me in your truth, and teach me, for you are the God of ^my salvation;

for you I wait ^all day long.

Be mindful of your mercy, Adonai, and of your ^steadfast love,

for they have been ^from of old.

Do not remember the sins of my youth or ^my transgressions;

according to your steadfast love remember me,

for your goodness' sake, ^Adonai!

Good and upright is ^Adonai;

therefore he instructs sinners ^in the way.

Adonai leads the humble in ^what is right,

and teaches the hum^ble his way.

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the ^Holy Spirit;

as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be forev^er. Amen.

Second Lesson, from an Epistle

A reading from 1 Thessalonians 3.9-13

How can we thank God enough for you in return for all the joy that we feel before our God because of you? Night and day we pray most earnestly that we may see you face to face and restore whatever is lacking in your faith.

Now may our God and Holy Parent indeed and our Lord Jesus direct our way to you. And may the Lord make you increase and abound in love for one another and for all, just as we abound in love for you. And may the Lord so strengthen your hearts in holiness that you may be blameless before our God the Holy One at the coming of our Lord Jesus with all the saints.

the Lesson is read, concluding:

This is the Word of our God. Thanks be to God.

the Gospel Acclamation, or Verse

Alleluia! God,

to whom shall we go?

You have the word of eternal life. Alleluia! Alleluia!

the Gospel Lesson

Listen to the Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Luke the 21st chapter.

Glory to you, O God!

Jesus said: "There will be signs in the sun, the moon, and the stars, and on the earth distress among nations confused by the roaring of the sea and the waves. People will faint from fear and foreboding of what is coming upon the world, for the powers of the heavens will be shaken. Then they will see 'the Son of Man coming in a cloud' with power and great glory. Now when these things begin to take place, stand up and raise your heads, because your redemption is drawing near."

Then Jesus told them a parable: "Look at the fig tree and all the trees; as soon as they sprout leaves you can see for yourselves and know that summer is already near. So also, when you see these things taking place, you know that the realm of God is near. Truly I tell you, this generation will not pass away until all things have taken place. Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away.

"Be on guard so that your hearts are not weighed down with dissipation and drunkenness and the worries of this life, and that day does not catch you unexpectedly, like a trap. For it will come upon all who live on the face of the whole earth. Be alert at all times, praying that you may have the strength to escape all these things that will take place, and to stand before the Son of Man."

This is the good news!

Praise to you, O Christ!

the Sermon

the Hymn of the Day: Fling wide the door (Macht hoch die tur)

Fling wide the door,

unbar the gate;

The Christ of glory comes in state;

The Lamb of God of whom we sing,

The Savior of the world who brings

God's great salvation to the earth.

So raise a shout of holy mirth

And praise our God once more,

Creator, Spirit, Word.

Christ is the rock of our belief,

The heart of mercy’s gentle self.

the sovereign's crown is holiness;

the scepter is pure loveliness;

Christ brings our sorrows to an end.

Now gladly praise our precious friend,

And worship Christ with song,

For saving us from wrong.

O, happy towns and blesséd lands

That live by their true sovereign’s commands,

And blesséd be the hearts Christ rules,

The humble places where Christ dwells,

who is the rightful Gift of bliss

Who gives us love and makes us live,

Creator of the world,

Our only strength for good.

Come, now, our Savior, Jesus Christ;

Our hearts are open wide in trust.

Oh, show us now your lovely grace,

Upon our sorrows shine your face,

And let your Holy Spirit guide

Our journey in your grace so wide.

We praise your holy name,

From age to age the same.

Confession of Faith

We believe in you, O God,

Eternal Spirit,

God of our Savior Jesus Christ

and our God,

and to your deeds we testify:

You call the worlds into being,

create persons in your own image,

and set before each one

the ways of life and death.

You seek in holy love to save all people

from aimlessness and sin.

You judge people and nations

by your righteous will declared through prophets and apostles.

In Jesus Christ, the man of Nazareth,

our crucified and risen Savior,

you have come to us

and shared our common lot,

conquering sin and death

and reconciling the world to yourself.

You bestow upon us your Holy Spirit, creating and renewing the church of Jesus Christ,

binding in covenant

faithful people of all ages, tongues, and races.

You call us into your church

to accept the cost and joy of discipleship,

to be your servants

in the service of others,

to proclaim the gospel to all the world

and resist the powers of evil,

to share in Christ's baptism

and eat at Christ's table,

to join Christ in the passion and victory.

You promise to all who trust you

forgiveness of sins and fullness of grace,

courage in the struggle for justice and peace,

your presence in trial and rejoicing,

and eternal life in your realm which has no end.

Blessing and honor, glory and power be unto you.

Amen.

the Prayers

As we wait for the revealing of our Lord Jesus Christ, let us offer prayers to God who stirs up strength and comes to help us.

For the coming of Jesus Christ in power and glory.

Give us hope, O Savior.

For the coming of Wisdom to teach and guide us.

Give us hope, O Savior.

For the coming of Emmanuel, the hope of all the peoples.

Give us hope, O Savior.

For the peace of the world, and for our unity in Christ.

Give us hope, O Savior.

For all bishops, for all presbyters, for all deacons and all the baptized who minister in Christ, and for all the holy people of God.

Give us hope, O Savior.

For the church throughout the world and the faithful in every place.

Give us hope, O Savior.

For the leaders of the nations and all in authority.

Give us hope, O Savior.

For justice, peace, and freedom among peoples of the earth.

Give us hope, O Savior.

For travelers, for the sick and the suffering, for the hungry and the oppressed, and for those in prison.

Give us hope, O Savior.

For the dying and the dead.

Give us hope, O Savior.

For our deliverance from all affliction, strife, and need.

Give us hope, O Savior.

For the victims of terror and the victims of war, that the weapons of evil may be destroyed and peace reign upon the earth, and that we take our part in breaking the swords and smashing the spears and destroying every weapon of death.

Give us hope, O Savior.

Joining our voices with the blessed Mary, Mother of Jesus, and with all the saints and angels of God, let us offer ourselves and one another to the living God through Christ.

To you, O Savior.

O Sovereign of all the nations, only joy of every heart, keystone of the mighty arch who makes us one, come and save the creature you fashioned from clay. Glory to you for ever.

Amen.

Christ Jesus, the joy of loving hearts, be with you all!

And also with you.

Let us pray. Blessed are you,

O Most Holy Sovereign,

maker of all things.

Through your goodness

you have blessed us

with these gifts.

With them we offer ourselves

to your service

and dedicate our lives

to the care and redemption

of all that you have made,

for the sake of the One who gave everything for us,

Jesus Christ our Savior. Amen.

The Great Thanksgiving begins

The peace of Christ be with you all.

And also with you.

Lift up your hearts.

We lift them to God.

Let us give thanks to God Most High.

It is right

to give our thanks and praise.

the Preface

It is indeed right and salutary that we should at all times and in all places offer thanks and praise to you, O Sovereign, holy Creator, almighty and ever living God; You comforted your people with the promise of the Redeemer, through whom you will also make all things new in the day when the Redeemer comes again to judge the world in righteousness. And so with the Church on earth and the hosts of heaven, we praise your name and join their unending hymn:

Holy, holy, holy Adonai,

God of power and might:

heaven and earth are full of your glory!

Hosanna! Hosanna!

Hosanna in the highest!

Blessed is the One

who comes in the name of Adonai!

Hosanna in the highest!

Eucharistic Prayer

We give you thanks,

O God who has spoken through the prophets,

who has spoken to us in Jesus Christ your Anointed One,

to save and redeem us

and to proclaim to us your reconciliation.

We have yearned for you to gather us together

as a hen gathers her brood under her wings.

We have prayed for you to comfort us

as a mother comforts her children.

We have looked for the fulfillment of your Word of comfort,

comfort to your people in Jerusalem;

we hear your voice crying to us

that our warfare is over,

that our iniquity is vanished,

that we have received more than our portion from your hands.

Speak tenderly to us.

Bless us by the revelation of your glory.

Unite us so all people will know

that Jesus Christ is your Anointed,

the fulfillment of your will,

creator of a holy people,

sent to free from warfare those who trust in you.

It is your Anointed One

who, handed over to a death freely accepted,

in order to lift up every valley,

to lay low every mountain and hill,

to make the crooked places level,

to make the rough places a smooth plain,

to give light to the righteous,

to establish a holy covenant,

and to show forth the resurrection,

taking bread

and giving thanks to you, said:

Take and eat;

this is my body, broken for you.

Do this for the remembrance of me.

In the same way

our Savior took the cup,

gave thanks,

and gave it for all to drink, saying:

This is my blood poured out for you.

Do this for the remembrance of me.

For as often as we eat of this bread and drink from this cup,

we proclaim the Redeemer’s death until Christ comes.

Christ has died. Christ is risen. Christ will come again.

Therefore, O God,

remembering Christ’s death and resurrection,

we life this bread and cup before you,

offering thanks for your voice which says, “do not be afraid,”

offering thanks that you feed your flock like a shepherd

and gather your lambs in your arms

to carry gently in your love

until that day

when Christ will come again

to share with us the great and promised feast.

Amen. Come, Lord Jesus.

Send now,

we pray, your Holy Spirit,

that we may remain gathered under your wings,

kept in your covenant,

filled with your light,

and taught the path of justice;

so that we, by your grace,

are accounted as faithful flock;

may we who share in the Holy Eucharist,

by your grace,

hear your voice

and be guided into the fullness of the realm of heaven

to receive our inheritance with all your saints in light.

Amen. Come, Holy Spirit.

Join our prayers with those of your servants of every time and every place

and unite them with the ceaseless petitions of our great high priest

until Christ comes as victorious Sovereign of all.

Through Christ, with Christ, in Christ,

in the unity of the Holy Spirit,

all glory and honor is yours, eternal God,

now and forever. Amen.

And now, as our Savior Jesus Christ has taught us, we are bold to say,

Our Father in heaven,

hallowed be your name,

your kingdom come,

your will be done,

on earth as in heaven.

Give us today our daily bread.

Forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sin against us.

Save us from the time of trial, and deliver us from evil.

For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours now and forever.

Amen.

Christ our Passover is sacrificed for us;

Therefore let us keep the feast.

The gifts of God

for the people of God.

Come, for all things are now ready.

This is the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world.

Happy are those who are called

to Christ’s supper.

Angus Dei

Lamb of God,

you take away the sin of the world,

have mercy on us.

Lamb of God,

have mercy on us.

Lamb of God,

grant us peace. Amen.

the Bread and the Cup are given to each communicant with these or similar words:

The body of Christ, given for you. The bread of Christ, shed for you.

the communicant may say Amen.

Post-Communion Blessing

The gift of the Redeemer Savior Jesus Christ which you have taken within you,

strengthen and preserve you

in this life and the life to come.

Amen.

Post-Communion Canticle

Thankful hearts and voices raise;

tell everyone what God has done.

Let all who seek our God rejoice and bear Christ’s holy name.

Send us with your promises,

O God,

and lead us forth in joy

with shouts of thanksgiving. Alleluia. Alleluia.

Let us pray.

Almighty God, you gave us our Redeemer both as a sacrifice for sin and a model of the godly life. Enable us always to receive Christ with thanksgiving, and to conform lives to Christ's example, through the same, Jesus Christ our Savior.

Amen.

Watch out! Be alert! Christ comes when you least expect it.

In the beggar on the street,

In the loved one at our table,

In the refugee on our shores,

In the hour of birth.

In the hour of death.

Watch out! Be alert! Christ comes when you least expect it. Go into the world with hope!

Parting hymn: Oh, Come, Oh, Come, Emmanuel (Veni, Emmanuel)

O, come, oh, come, Emmanuel,

and ransom captive Israel,

that mourns in lonely exile here

until the Son of God appear.

Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel

shall come to you, O Israel.

Oh, come, oh, come,

great God of might,

who to your tribes on Sinai's height

in ancient times once gave the law

in cloud, and majesty, and awe.

Oh. come, strong Branch of Jesse, free

your own from Satan's tyranny;

from depths of hell your people save

and give them vic-t'ry o'er the grave.

Oh. come, blest Dayspring,

come and cheer

our spirits by your advent here;

disperse the gloomy clouds of night,

and death's dark shadows put to flight.

Oh. come, O Key of David, come, and open wide our heav'nly home;

make safe the way that leads on high,

and close the path to misery.

Lesser Festivals and Commemorations this week:

30 November: St. Andrew, Apostle

2 December: Jean Donovan, Dorothy Kazel, Ita Ford, Maura Clark, Martyrs of El Salvador

2 December: Channing Moor Williams, Bishop & Missionary (1910)

3 December: Francis Xavier, Priest & Missionary (1552)

4 December: John of Damascus, Priest & Doctor (760)

5 December: Clement of Alexandria, Priest (210)

6 December: Nicholas of Myra, Bishop (342)

On Nicholas, aka Saint Nick, aka Santa Claus: Died c. 350. St. Nicholas was probably born to wealthy parents at Patara in Lycia, a province of Asia Minor. He was chosen bishop of the then rundown diocese of the capital of Myra, which he ruled with great care and faith. There he became known for his holiness and zeal. A citizen of Patara lost his fortune, and because he could not raise dowries for his three daughters, he was going to give them over to prostitution. After hearing this, Nicholas took a bag of gold and threw it through the window of the man's house at night. The eldest girl was married with it as her dowry. He performed the same action for each of the other girls. Another legend holds that he appeared to sailors caught in storms off the coast of Lycia and led them safely into port. Churches built under his dedication are often placed so that they can be seen off the coast as landmarks. Yet another legend has it that he appeared to Constantine in a dream and thereby caused him to save three unjustly condemned imperial officers from death. Possibly another version says that the governor of Myra took a bribe to condemn to death three innocent men. The executioner was about to kill them when the bishop of the city, Nicholas, appeared and prevented the execution. Turning to the governor, the saint upbraided him till he confessed his sin and begged to be forgiven.

On Jean Donovan, Dorothy Kazel, Ita Ford, Maura Clark, Martyrs of El Salvador.

The destinies of Sr. Maura Clarke, Sr. Ita Ford, Sr. Dorothy Kazel, and Jean Donovan were joined together in just the last months of their lives. Murdered together by National Guardsmen in El Salvador on December 2, 1980, their deaths became martyrdom for a church of the poor in El Salvador and for thousands of Christians in the United States.

On the evening of that December 2, Dorothy Kazel and Jean Donovan drove their van to the airport outside San Salvador to pick up Maryknoll Sisters Maura Clarke and Ita Ford who were returning from a Maryknoll regional assembly in Managua. After leaving the airport, their van was commandeered at a road block by members of El Salvador's National Guard. They were taken to an isolated location, raped and shot, then buried in a shallow grave along a roadside. Their deaths are understood as martyrdom because the women did what Jesus of Nazareth did, and what he told us we should do to show we are disciples in this world - they loved the poor, and laid down their lives for them....

...Maura had been pondering the appeal of Archbishop Romero for help in El Salvador. On August 5, just two and a half weeks before the death of Sr. Carla Piette, Maura Clark went to El Salvador to explore the possibility of working there. It was a hard decision - to leave behind 20 years of relationships in Nicaragua at such an exciting moment in its history, and to take on the human and pastoral challenge of El Salvador in a time of persecution. After Carla's death on August 23 Maura decided to take her place working at Ita Ford's side. She was quickly immersed in the emergency work among the victims of the repression. "We have the refugees, women and children, outside our door and some of their stories are incredible. What is happening here is all so impossible, but happening. The endurance of the poor and their faith through this terrible pain is constantly pulling me to a deeper faith response."

The days were often difficult and the internal struggle radically challenging. "My fear of death is being challenged constantly as children, lovely young girls, old people are being shot and some cut up with machetes and bodies thrown by the road and people prohibited from burying them... One cries out: Lord how long? And then too what creeps into my mind is the little fear, or big, that when it touches me very personally, will I be faithful?"

Maura decided she would stay in El Salvador. She and Ita, and two other Maryknoll Sisters working in El Salvador, traveled in November to Nicaragua for the regional assembly. It was there that Maura affirmed her commitment before all the Maryknoll Sisters of the Central America region. She said she would remain in El Salvador... She told them the days would be difficult and dangerous, but assured the other sisters of her "certain confidence in God's loving care of her, Ita, and all the people."

"I want to stay on now," Maura wrote. "I believe now that this is right...Here I am starting from scratch but it must be His plan and He is teaching me and there is real peace in spite of many frustrations and the terror around us and the work, etc. God is very present in His seeming absence." The day following the assembly, on 2 December 1980, Maura, Dorothy, Jean, and Ita gave their all, as the vicims of rape and murder, for the people of El Salvador.

WELL the only time I am on the comp when I work is when im at customer service, but im hardly there cause I yell at customers with their complaints, usally im at the concesion stand

AT school thats a different story in class im on Soxtalk alll the time