F-ing Awesome CD of the month

sox4lifeinPA

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh great, another "EMO DOES NOT SUCK OMFG" thread.

Do you honestly think that listening to 20 or 30 year olds cry like little girls about beeing a teenager is considered music? "Oh, look at me, I'm so depressed! I know what I'll do, I'll go off and write a poem! Then I'll either scream really loud or try sounding all soothing by showing an INTENSE amount of emotion on my face!"

The music Emo bands play sucks, the clothing that sprung off of them suck (we call it fashion-core). I think I'd be doing the world a great favor by banning the sales of thesauruses to all Emo-ites, bands included. They aren't deep, they're just stuck in the "harshness" known as adolescence. Time to grow up, write one last poem, and whip yourself off a cliff.

what label are they on?

Small label in UK called Gut Records.

They had one CD released here, on East West ( a division of WB, IIRC ) called Earth Vs. The Wildhearts, which is freakin' BRILLIANT.

Other than that, all their stuff is UK only.

Gut will be releasing "Riff After Riff After Motherf***ing Riff" in the US next spring, with the tour to coincide.

They really are a great band, IMHO.

Do you honestly think that listening to 20 or 30 year olds cry like little girls about beeing a teenager is considered music? "Oh, look at me, I'm so depressed! I know what I'll do, I'll go off and write a poem! Then I'll either scream really loud or try sounding all soothing by showing an INTENSE amount of emotion on my face!"

Hey, that pretty much describes The Cure, and I LOVE THE CURE, so SHUT UP DOOOOD!!!!

:P :D

The music Emo bands play sucks, the clothing that sprung off of them suck (we call it fashion-core). I think I'd be doing the world a great favor by banning the sales of thesauruses to all Emo-ites, bands included. They aren't deep, they're just stuck in the "harshness" known as adolescence. Time to grow up, write one last poem, and whip yourself off a cliff.

great...learned alot from that post :rolleyes:

dashboard sucks, yes that's true.

Pedro the lion? "magazine" have you freakin' heard that song? where's the whinning in that?

Appleseed Cast? have you even heard them?

I'll agree with you about "emo kids"...I want to hurt them...alot. but generally, the music is pretty great. Jimmy Eat World? Sunny Day?

sorry man, expound your thoughts or don't comment at all.

Pedro the lion? "magazine"  have you freakin' heard that song? where's the whinning in that?

I'll agree with you about "emo kids"...I want to hurt them...alot. but generally, the music is pretty great. Jimmy Eat World? Sunny Day?

Just tell him Radiohead sucks and end this argument :D

So apparently it's not Emo Philips we're talking about here, hmm? :)

All I have to sar aboout Emo/Screamo/Screamcore/...? other than I generally don't care much for it is that I have it on good authority that it really hurt a vibrant and diverse DC music scene when it emerged out of the punk/hardcore thing there in the early 80s. A good friend of mine, somewhat older than me, was a DC area musician for 20 years doing a variety of live club and studio things and generally loving life. Along came Emo and for like two years that's all a bunch of clubs wanted to book. Cover was like $1-5 for those shows, as opposed to $5-15 for a lot of the rock/blues/jazz groups before that. On top of that the Emo crowds were big drinkers (apparently they didn't check IDs all that well as I assume the crowds were quite young). So it was a no-brainer for club owners to go with the Emo or else demand that other bands ask for less at the door, since the lost revenue was only coming out of the bands' pockets and not the owners.

Long story short, my buddy got fed up, gave up music and left DC for Florida and a career change. Then he met me and I re-infected him, and we did about three years of the bar gig music thing (only once or twice a week) before he moved back north.

Pedro the lion? "magazine"  have you freakin' heard that song? where's the whinning in that?

I've heard and listened to all of the bands you mentioned except one, Pedro the Lion, or I believe that was it.

Appleseed Cast? Emo in its s***tiest form, outside of DC, Juliana Theory and FATA.

Jimmy Eat World? Did a fantastic job selling out and changing their music style.

Sunny Day Real Estate? A-w-f-u-l. Sad that a bunch of Emo bands actually based their so called "music" off of them.

I've heard and listened to all of the bands you mentioned except one, Pedro the Lion, or I believe that was it.

Appleseed Cast? Emo in its s***tiest form, outside of DC, Juliana Theory and FATA.

Jimmy Eat World? Did a fantastic job selling out and changing their music style.

Sunny Day Real Estate? A-w-f-u-l. Sad that a bunch of Emo bands actually based their so called "music" off of them.

first of all, Pedro freakin' rocks...

then I'd pick up Low's new disc.

reconsider Appleseed Cast, quickly

Radiohead was great live, but tend to be over-rated just like the beatles

finally, I'd download the song "miserere" by the gloria record.

BTW, what are your favorite bands?

just for the record, I'm not a huge fan of post hardcore music, I just like some of the bands that you'd define as emo. I really hate deathcab, pop unknown, cambria, etc...

What a sad, simplistic point of view.

Where do you get the f***ing balls to reduce and invalidate thoughts, emotions, poetry, musical style and form of expression....in such a sweeping, unapologetic manner?

Frankly, I don't even like Emo movement, but even I realize that any genre at its best is pure ART, with unique richness and depth..... whether it's raggae or classical jazz or yoddling or blackboard scratching or whatever.

It is you who needs to grow the f*** up, dog. Just say you can't write a poem to save your life and be done with it. Yawn.

Two words: OK Computer. :)

Two Words: Snooze Fest :) Not really to that album but the band in particular. And when I hear them I hear Thom Yorke adn his lazy eye whining just as much as the emo kids, but it just drawls out for ever, and ever.... ;)

I mentioned that because I know who's buttons to push as far as music goes. You, it's Radiohead, Dub, it's Linkin Park etc.

Two Words: Snooze Fest :) Not really to that album but the band in particular. And when I hear them I hear Thom Yorke adn his lazy eye whining just as much as the emo kids, but it just drawls out for ever, and ever.... ;)

I mentioned that because I know who's buttons to push as far as music goes. You, it's Radiohead, Dub, it's Linkin Park etc.

I'd disagree about Radiohead being a snooze fest, especially if you've seen them live, but I can understand feeling the drone of thom yorke at times. Cali, you're coming from the perspective that if it's not 100 dB it runs the risk of putting you to sleep.

HAHAHA, and Brandofan......wow, I'm finally NOT on the receiving end of a tongue lashing from the harsh critics on this site. I concur your feelings. Each genre has something good to offer...each has something TERRIBLE, unless its rap/rock...then it's ALL bad.:)

Each genre has something good to offer...each has something TERRIBLE,

Don't forget about 'mediocre'. Along with the 'bad', it comprises the overwhelming majority in ANY genre or school of thought. True talent and quality are just that precisely because they're rare-- think of gold or diamonds, etc.

unless its rap/rock...then it's ALL bad.

Absolutely. That and whatever crap Handel put out.

Don't forget about 'mediocre'. Along with the 'bad', it comprises the overwhelming majority in ANY genre or school of thought.    True talent and quality are just that precisely because they're rare-- think of gold or diamonds, etc. 

Absolutely.  That and whatever crap Handel put out.

yeah, I guess I was implying the middle...and I agree with your "majority" sentiment as well.

you know who rocks the Baroque hizzy? vivaldi... mmm, good times.

:bringit The F'n Awesome CD of the month?  "Let it Be, Naked" by the greatest and most influencial band ever...

Don't you mean Paul McCartney's molestation of a broken band's record? Not only did he take the veneer of Spector off the CD - but he also took away the grit and studio talk that would have made "Get Back" special. The only track on the CD with the same grit the original album still had before Spector, was "Don't Let Me Down."

There's a reason there was no re-release until Lennon and Harrison were dead.

first of all, Pedro freakin' rocks...

then I'd pick up Low's new disc.

reconsider Appleseed Cast, quickly

Radiohead was great live, but tend to be over-rated just like the beatles

finally, I'd download the song "miserere" by the gloria record.

BTW, what are your favorite bands?

just for the record, I'm not a huge fan of post hardcore music, I just like some of the bands that you'd define as emo. I really hate deathcab, pop unknown, cambria, etc...

I remember having to play Low's cover of "I Started a Joke" in college and wanting to put a gun to my head every time it got on the air. Feh. Low. Bands like that shouldnt exist. Ever.

Don't you mean Paul McCartney's molestation of a broken band's record? Not only did he take the veneer of Spector off the CD - but he also took away the grit and studio talk that would have made "Get Back" special. The only track on the CD with the same grit the original album still had before Spector, was "Don't Let Me Down."

There's a reason there was no re-release until Lennon and Harrison were dead.

There are some songs that were a definate step back of the studioized versions of the originals. But for the most part the de-popping of that album made it sounds a lot more like an old Beatles album IMO.