F-ing Awesome CD of the month

sox4lifeinPA

What a sad, simplistic point of view.

Where do you get the f***ing balls to reduce and invalidate thoughts, emotions, poetry, musical style and form of expression....in such a sweeping, unapologetic manner? 

Frankly, I don't even like Emo movement, but even I realize that any genre at its best is pure ART, with unique richness and depth..... whether it's raggae or classical jazz or yoddling or blackboard scratching or whatever.

It is you who needs to grow the f*** up, dog. Just say you can't write a poem to save your life and be done with it. Yawn.

Brandofan: You took the words right out of my mouth, I mean fingers. :headbang

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

..each has something TERRIBLE, unless its rap/rock...then it's ALL bad.:)

Now listen hear, Mr. Music Man, I'll have you know that the Anthrax cover of "Bring the Noise" is a fine example of what rap/rock can be when done correctly. The Zach de la Rocha Mocha Grande Latte's mix of Outkast's "Bombs Over Baghdad" is also mighty rocking, yo.

And yes, I hear you, Kid Rock sucks Michael Jackson's prosthetic nose tip

Now listen hear, Mr. Music Man, I'll have you know that the Anthrax cover of "Bring the Noise" is a fine example of what rap/rock can be when done correctly.  The Zach de la Rocha Mocha Grande Latte's mix of Outkast's "Bombs Over Baghdad" is also mighty rocking, yo.

And yes, I hear you, Kid Rock sucks Michael Jackson's prosthetic nose tip

"Bring the noise" kicked ass. That was the only Anthrax CD I ever owned. The two other awesome songs on there were a "nicefukinballad" and the song they wrote for Tipper Gore about censorship(I can't remember the name of it).

I remember having to play Low's cover of "I Started a Joke" in college and wanting to put a gun to my head every time it got on the air. Feh. Low. Bands like that shouldnt exist. Ever.

so ten years ago when you were in college and heard A song by this band, that makes you knowledgeable? well, you do seem to know your s***, but Low is pretty exceptional, if only in the last 3-4 years.

I just disagree.

"Bring the noise" kicked ass.  That was the only Anthrax CD I ever owned.  The two other awesome songs on there were a "nicefukinballad" and the song they wrote for Tipper Gore about censorship(I can't remember the name of it).

This is it

Anthrax

Startin' up a Posse

lyrics

Now I'm gonna tell ya a story

A tale of wrong and Right

and freedom is the reason

You can't take it without a fight

So now I'm startin' up a posse

(Suck my dick, suck my dick)

To come and look for you

We're gonna put a stop

To what you want to do

You f***ing whores (You f***in' whores)

That's all you are

You say our records are offensive

(You're a douche, You're a douche)

Our messages ain't right

You say "We're gonna label records

So our kids can grow up right"

You f***ing whores (Let them decide)

That's all you are

s***, f***, satan, death, sex drugs, rape

These seven words you're trying to take

s***, f***, Satan, death, sex, drugs, rape

Right or wrong it's our choice to make

America the beautiful, Land of the free

Don't change the words to land of Hypocrisy

Now I'm startin' up a posse (Fascist scum, fascist scum)

And we'll damn sure make you see

Something that offends you

May not be offensive to me

You f*cking whores (You f***in' whores)

That's all you are

Now you might take offense

To a word like "f***" or "s***" (Dick!)

But you f***in' don't have the right (c***!)

To discriminate me for saying it!

You f***in' whores (You f***in' whores)

That's all you are

So now I'm startin' up a posse (Motherf***er, motherf***er)

To fight for freedom of choice

To fight for freedom of speech

We're gonna make you hear our voice

And now I don't do this to shock you

(That's the end, that's the end)

I don't do this for spite

You've got the choice, don't buy it, don't read it,

And don't say your opinion's right

You f*cking whores (You f***in' whores)

That's all you are (c***y, c***y, c***y, c***)

You know you can't censor my feelings

You can't censor my thoughts

Censorship's against

Everything America stands for

You f***in' whores (Let us decide)

That's all you are (And this ain't sexist, either)

I guess it's just me, and I am being weird, but I thought more people would appreciate the wall of sound polish.

I have said before that I always enjoyed Let It Be (original) for what it was, even though it fell short of what it was supposed to be. But Specter did the exact opposite of what was supposed to have happened by adding layers of orchestral complexuty to songs tht were supposed to be live, stripped down, a little rough around the edges, and with no overdubs. This was exactly what John Lennon had in mind of course when he insisted that Specter resurrect and produce the project to the extreme objection of McCartney and the relative apathy at the time of George and Ringo. It was one last :fyou from John to Paul during a bad time in their personal relationship.

first of all, Pedro freakin' rocks...

then I'd pick up Low's new disc.

reconsider Appleseed Cast, quickly

Radiohead was great live, but tend to be over-rated just like the beatles

finally, I'd download the song "miserere" by the gloria record.

BTW, what are your favorite bands?

just for the record, I'm not a huge fan of post hardcore music, I just like some of the bands that you'd define as emo. I really hate deathcab, pop unknown, cambria, etc...

Deathcab is pretty decent, well there older stuff was...listened to a few songs on their new cd and well it was just ehhh.

Don't you mean Paul McCartney's molestation of a broken band's record? Not only did he take the veneer of Spector off the CD - but he also took away the grit and studio talk that would have made "Get Back" special. The only track on the CD with the same grit the original album still had before Spector, was "Don't Let Me Down."

There's a reason there was no re-release until Lennon and Harrison were dead.

Actually George approved of the project and of what he got to hear of the new mixes before he departed (Aside: I think his posthumously released "Brainwashed" was his strongest effort in years).

You are right, the band had broken under the sheer weight of being the effing Beatles. It had completely fractured during the making of "The White Album," and this was a recognition and admission by the band that they just needed to cut the crap and just Get back to being a great band again. The missing audio snippets bothered me on Naked too... until I listened to the "fly on the wall" disc. Amazing stuff, with the love/hate relationships of the Beatles to each other and to being the Beatles. Add those bits to the material seen in the film and that time becomes very real and emotionally charged to a discerning audience. I particularly like George telling Paul how stupid his idea of having the concert while stuck with a bunch of strangers on a cruise ship was. Wery much in the vein of his "I'll play if you want me to, or I WON'T play if you don't want me too... whatever it is YOU want me to do I'll do it." remarks heard on the film.

I like Naked a lot because it's as close as we're going to get to what the project should have turned out.

so ten years ago when you were in college and heard A song by this band, that makes you knowledgeable? well, you do seem to know your s***, but Low is pretty exceptional, if only in the last 3-4 years.

I just disagree.

I used to be a college music director, back in the day. I just don't dig Low... or most of the similar genre. I love a lot of Indie rock, the problem is too many of these bands and their albums are so f***ing smug and self-important that they just don't do it for me. That's all.

That being said, I'm not a huge fan of the Emo genre, but there's some good s*** to be found I'm sure, it just takes some digging. I'm becoming a bigger and bigger fan of Sigur Ros myself.... and Ill Mitch is the future of Hip Hop, yo.

Actually George approved of the project and of what he got to hear of the new mixes before he departed (Aside: I think his posthumously released "Brainwashed" was his strongest effort in years).

You are right, the band had broken under the sheer weight of being the effing Beatles.  It had completely fractured during the making of "The White Album," and this was a recognition and admission by the band that they just needed to cut the crap and just Get back to being a great band again.  The missing audio snippets bothered me on Naked too... until I listened to the "fly on the wall" disc.  Amazing stuff, with the love/hate relationships of the Beatles to each other and to being the Beatles.  Add those bits to the material seen in the film and that time becomes very real and emotionally charged to a discerning audience.  I particularly like George telling Paul how stupid his idea of having the concert while stuck with a bunch of strangers on a cruise ship was.  Wery much in the vein of his "I'll play if you want me to, or I WON'T play if you don't want me too... whatever it is YOU want me to do I'll do it." remarks heard on the film.

I like Naked a lot because it's as close as we're going to get to what the project should have turned out.

I disagree that Paul McCartney's version is closer to the original intents of the disc. It's whitewashed most of the grit. Listening to the versions in Anthology alone are more complete than Naked.... check out the stuff in the bootlegs that arent in the official release. If you're gonna show the dirt, show the dirt. Don't remaster and hide the stuff that Paul didn't like.

And Spector made Across the Universe perfect. Period.

I like the Specter-ized Across the Universe well enough, but the best official release was the one on the World Wildlife Fund "Nothing's Gonna Change Our World" Benefit album in 1968. That's the version that was re-released on the "blue" rarities disc several years later.

I have vinyl copies of the "Black Album" and volumes 1 and 3 of "Sweet Apple Tracks" (never picked up volume 2), so that's 14 LP sides of Get Back session material. Needless to say, I LOVE THE GRIT. At the same time, that doesn't mean I think "No Pakastanis", "Commonwealth", "Hi Ho Silver", "Penina", etc., should have been included on official Apple releases.

That might be the difference for me though. I had collected a lot of this material in boots, mostly when I was still in high school and made the Beatlefests regularly. The Naked stuff just sounds WAY more like what was actually laid down in those sessions than the Spector-produced tracks and so it's closer to what I think a release overseen by the Beatles would have sounded like. Granted, I miss "Maggie May" and "Dig It" in the re-release, to say nothing of "John Charles Haltrey and the Deaf Aides... Phase One, in which Doris gets her oats." :)

I like the Specter-ized Across the Universe well enough, but the best official release was the one on the World Wildlife Fund "Nothing's Gonna Change Our World" Benefit album in 1968.  That's the version that was re-released on the "blue" rarities disc several years later.

I have vinyl copies of the "Black Album" and volumes 1 and 3 of "Sweet Apple Tracks" (never picked up volume 2), so that's 14 LP sides of Get Back session material.  Needless to say, I LOVE THE GRIT.  At the same time, that  doesn't mean I think "No Pakastanis", "Commonwealth", "Hi Ho Silver", "Penina", etc., should have been included on official Apple releases.

That might be the difference for me though.  I had collected a lot of this material in boots, mostly when I was still in high school and made the Beatlefests regularly.  The Naked stuff just sounds WAY more like what was actually laid down in those sessions than the Spector-produced tracks and so it's closer to what I think a release overseen by the Beatles would have sounded like.  Granted, I miss "Maggie May" and "Dig It" in the re-release, to say nothing of "John Charles Haltrey and the Deaf Aides... Phase One, in which Doris gets her oats."  :)

Well, I have heard the other release of Across the Universe "Nothing's Gonna Change My World". Still prefer the Spector version. I don't hear or feel the same grit on this CD. I just don't. Maybe its the feeling that Paul is doing this for his ego or pocketbook. It just doesn't feel right.

:cheers

I agree 100%

I think it's the damn music magazines and reviewers who think they know friggin' anything.

pitchforkmedia sucks my balls

Rolling stone as well.

Their picks for the last two years?

The Strokes

Interpol

both moderately good in their own ways, but HARDLY the "NEXT BIG THING" that they're touted to be. I mean, geez, Wilco's "yankee hotel foxtrot" is twice as good an album as "turn on the brights lights" and I ain't no big wilco fan...