Freddy M

BrandoFan

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that the Simon & Garfunkel thread has officially confirmed the fact that some of you out there may indeed possess taste buds.....

What the Queen frontman? Yeay or nay?

Freddy was great. At their best, there was not a more meticulous and perfectionist studio recording rock group than Freddy, Brian May, and and the rest of Queen. I think I'm going to listen to A Night at the Opera at home this evening for a refresher.

yeah, can't argue with that. Just don't tell me the beatles aren't over-rated.

My putting the best-produced Queen up against anyone includes the Beatles. To Freddy Mercury and the band's immense credit, they either produced or co-produced most of the stuff from that era, so they didn't need a George Martin to help with that side of things. No slight to George or the Lads, whom it is impossible to overrate btw.

My putting the best-produced Queen up against anyone includes the Beatles.  To Freddy Mercury and the band's immense credit, they either produced or co-produced most of the stuff from that era, so they didn't need a George Martin to help with that side of things.  No slight to George or the Lads, whom it is impossible to overrate btw.

:rolleyes: haha, whatever:)

big ups to Queen though.

Queen was a band whose best stuff was fantastic and whose worst stuff was embarrassingly bad.

You can make a TERRIFIC "best of" Queen disc, but you could also scare the kids away with some of the cheesy stuff they recorded.

Mercury had a very distinct voice, and was a very fun performer to watch. You could tell that he really loved what he did.

:lol:

That's where I was starting on that thought!

Then over to Bicycle Race...and so on....

...and TRY playing Bohemian Rhapsody for your nephews without them laughing and imitating Wayne's World... :D

That's the thing about the best Queen, though. They take something that could be so completelt stupid, like Bicycle race, and they make it work. I don't lump that tune in with their lemons. Most stuff from The Game and after, on the other hand, is hard to find much merit in.

On the subject of Bohemian Rhapsody. Several years ago my wife (girlfriend then) and I were playing Songburst with a friend, that's a game where you have to sing portions of songs to score. My friend got the hint "Spare him his life..." as a hint and we figured he would easily come up with the correct line from Bohemian Rhapsody... "Spare him his life from his monstrosities." Instead, he out comes with what he thought the line was... "Spare him his life from his pork sausage-ees." I still cannot hear that part of the song without thibking of that and laughing.

On the subject of Bohemian Rhapsody.  Several years ago my wife (girlfriend then) and I were playing Songburst with a friend, that's a game where you have to sing portions of songs to score.  My friend got the hint "Spare him his life..." as a hint and we figured he would easily come up with the correct line from Bohemian Rhapsody... "Spare him his life from his monstrosities."  Instead, he out comes with what he thought the line was... "Spare him his life from his pork sausage-ees."  I still cannot hear that part of the song without thibking of that and laughing.

And how many people are singing "dynomite with a laser beam?"

:D

ON the topic of music... I was watching I love the 80's, 1988, and the guy on there from Anthrax just described REM as Rock music for Nerds.  LMFAO!  I was sooo not with that whole late 80's, early 90's alternative thing, and that just made me laugh for about 5 minutes... :P

It is to everyone's detriment to think of REM just as part of the "late 80's, early 90's alternative thing." Chronic Town came out in 1982. Just the music from Murmer, Reckonings, and Fables of the Reconstuction would have been enough to assure that the band would have a lasting impact on the sound of their contemporaries. Although I also enjoy lots of their stuff from Green and beyond, I like those first 4 releases the most and always consider REM an "early 80s college station thing," rather than a "late 80's, early 90's alternative thing."

I like those first 4 releases the most and always consider REM an "early 80s college station thing," rather than a "late 80's, early 90's alternative thing."

Absolutely correct.

REM was very very good in the early 80s.

South Central Rain is still one of my favorite songs.

I soured on them around the Shiny Happy People time.

Haven't paid much attention to them in a decade or so.

Absolutely correct.

REM was very very good in the early 80s.

South Central Rain is still one of my favorite songs.

I soured on them around the Shiny Happy People time.

Haven't paid much attention to them in a decade or so.

That's funny for my generation to think about, because I see Automatic for the People, Monster, and New Adventures in Hi-Fi as three of my favorite albums...only for me to sour to REM with their subsequent releases.

I listen to Green, Murmer, Epynonmous (sp?), too...good albums.

That's funny for my generation to think about, because I see Automatic for the People, Monster, and New Adventures in Hi-Fi as three of my favorite albums...only for me to sour to REM with their subsequent releases.

I listen to Green, Murmer, Epynonmous (sp?), too...good albums.

Automatic For the People was a strong album, one in which Peter Buck flexes his lowder power pop guitar muscles to nice effect. But songs like (Critic's pick) South Central Rain, and songs like Fall on Me that have that signature dual-melody vocal interplay between Stipe and Mike Mills are still my favorite REM offerings. I don't fault them or any band for evolving and changing through the years – in fact, I really dislike bands that don't grow with time – but one of the inevitable side effects of change is that us oldsters are going to say the early albums were best while the young pups will say the later stuff was better. The nice thing about a band like REM is that all of their stuff has enough going for it to make the agrument on both sides valid.

I miss Bill Barry's world-class eyebrows though :)