Freddy M

BrandoFan

I miss Bill Barry's world-class eyebrows though

truly...haha

I caught "The REM" on conan I think supporting their best of album, also known as we already have this album from years of napster/kazaa usage. They played some song i didn't know....some song that I don't think ANYONE knew. try again fellas.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, not a big fan.  Even replacing a dead vocalist couldn't pump any new ideas into that bunch.  and, oh yeah, nice pants, Angus.

Agnus is considered to be one of rock's greatest lead guitarists. Still scratchin' me head over that one.

I do like Bon Scott's bluesy vibefor some reason. Come to think of it, I find Brian Johnson's primal screams to be hilarious. Go figure.

I thought the true highlight of Highlander " was the Queen's...forever" part.

I was being nice to the group by not bringing that up when people were tossing around the Flash Gordon soundtrack as being their lowpoint.

Actually I thought that the Highlander stuff was fine as film music fodder, just not in the same ballpark as their best stuff. I also liked a Freddy Mercury solo song that was used in the Fritz lang's Metropolis re-release from the mid-80s that had the retouched film and New Wave soundtrack attached to it. That song and one by kate Bush were about the only memorable songs from that release, although the releae brought this classic silent film to a new generation and the film restoration work was very good.

Actually I thought that the Highlander stuff was fine as film music fodder, just not in the same ballpark as their best stuff.

I love film fodder! Highlander was cheesy, but for those who liked it, it doesn't get better than that forever Queen thing.

All this talk about Queen's studio work. What about the time when Freddy BLEW everybody away at I think that AIDS live thing in Afrika?

It actually wasn't in Africa. The USA for Africa thing was different, but related.

The most amazing thing about Queen's Live Aid performance was that Fred was in really poor voice that day.

He couldn't hit the high notes without croaking.

He played through it tremendously, though, and their set was the highlight of Live Aid for me.

Also high spots of Live Aid for me:

The Boomtown Rats ( I'm a GIANT fan of the Boomtown Rats, and that was the only time I got to see them perform )

Seeing Judas Priest at like 10 in the morning ( very bizarre )

U2's performance of "Bad" ( GREAT )

Oh, and regarding Scott Ian - he should probably worry more about his dead band than what categories other bands fall under. Anthrax can't sell a CD to anyone outside their families anymore, so maybe that should be a higher concern than name-calling. They were a favorite of mine way back when, but they are more famous for sharing a name with a disease now than for any recent music they've made.

Now that the Simon & Garfunkel thread has officially confirmed the fact that some of you out there may indeed possess taste buds.....

What about the Queen frontman? Yeay or nay?

God Rest Freddie!!! Freddie and Brian May made that band. Roger and John had great additions, but Freddie and Brian made that band who they were.

RIP Freddie!!!!

Finally a Queen thread!!!! :headbang :headbang :headbang

I thought the true highlight of Highlander " was the Queen's...forever" part.

That is my favorite album of theirs - 'A Kind of Magic.' I got into Queen because of Highlander. I own every CD they put out except for 1; 'Flash Gordon Soundtrack.' The movie was horrid, Brian and I watched it one Saturday night in the summer when it was too hot to move to change the channel, but that sound track made it tolerable.

People often say that after 'The Game' their music wasn't good. I beg to differ, it was just as good, just a much different style. Their 'Innuendo' (the last complete album Queen put out before Freddie died) was something else. Granted, it didn't have their 'concert' type style, it was a bit toned down. The only album of theirs that I wasn't crazy about, but still can listen to without too much effot is the 'Hot Space' album.

Agnus is considered to be one of rock's greatest lead guitarists. Still scratchin' me head over that one.

I do like Bon Scott's bluesy vibefor some reason.  Come to think of it, I find Brian Johnson's primal screams to be hilarious. Go figure.

I saw AC/Dc from the fronr row at the Horizon during thier Hells Bells tour and he was awesome. It was in the early days of wireless guitars and when he all of a sudden appeared in the middle of the crowd it was incredible.