Freddy M

BrandoFan

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Those who do not like Seven Seas of Rhye are not fun people.

:headbang  :headbang  :headbang

There's been a horrible breakdown in communication!

THIS is what I meant by seven seas of rhye or whatever the hell it's called...

I can dim the lights

And sing you songs full of sad things

We can do the tango just for two

I can serenade and gently play

On your heart strings

Be your Valentino just for you

Ooh love Ooh lover boy

What you did tonight hey boy?

Set my alarm turn on my charm

That's because I'm a good old fashioned lover boy

Ooh let me feel you heartbeat

(Grow faster faster)

Ooh can you feel my love heat

Come on and sit on my hot seat of love

And tell me how do you feel right after all

I'd like for you and I to go romancing

Say the word your wish is my command

Ooh love Ooh lover boy

what you did tonight hey boy?

Write my letter feel much better

And use my fancy patter on the telephone

When I'm not with you

Think of you always I miss you

(I miss those long hot summer nights)

When I'm not with you

Think of me always love you love you

Hey boy where did you get it from?

Hey boy where did you go?

I learned my passion

In the good old fashioned school of lover boys

Dining at the Ritz we'll meet at nine precisely

(One two three four five six seven eight nine o'clock)

I will pay the bill you taste the wine

Driving back in style in my saloon will do quite nicely

Just take me back to yours that will be fine

(Come on and get it)

Ooh love Ooh lover boy

what you did tonight hey boy?

Ev'rything's all right just hold on tight

That's because I'm a good old fashioned (fashioned) lover boy

I like it cuz I can play it on the P and sing to it and it's fun....all in one. Hehe

That's the guy.  Vocally, though, he couldn't be touched in his prime, even if you were not a huge Journey fan ( I wasn't).

You're that high on him, FSJ?

I thought he had an impressive voice (by rock standards-- of course he is no Mario Lanza) based on my limited exposure to their music.

Any particular song you recommend that showcases it?

You're that high on him, FSJ?

I thought he had an impressive voice (by rock standards-- of course he is no Mario Lanza) based on my limited exposure to their music.

Any particular song you recommend that showcases it?

Like I said, I wasn't a huge Journey fan, but I have grown to appreciate the production standards of the Escape/Infinity era stuff. The best musician un the group was their first drummer, a Brit named Ansley Dunbar who did time in one of Zappa's Mothers incarnations, testament to his ability.

Steve Perry is just one of those spot-on rock vocalists. Brad Delp (Boston) and Paul Rodgers are two others that I always had respect for even if I wasn't a big fan of their respective bands. Even Perry's screaming is melodic, as opposed to someone like Sammy Hagar. He never just opens up and lets out a "yearrrghh!" - it's always controlled, y'know? Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin', Lights, etc. are among the showcase songs that show some of his range.

Like I said, I wasn't a huge Journey fan, but I have grown to appreciate the production standards of the Escape/Infinity era stuff.  The best musician un the group was their first drummer, a Brit named Ansley Dunbar who did time in one of Zappa's Mothers incarnations, testament to his ability.

Steve Perry is just one of those spot-on rock vocalists.  Brad Delp (Boston) and Paul Rodgers are two others that I always had respect for even if I wasn't a big fan of their respective bands.  Even Perry's screaming is melodic, as opposed to someone like Sammy Hagar.  He never just opens up and lets out a "yearrrghh!" - it's always controlled, y'know? Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin', Lights, etc. are among the showcase songs that show some of his range.

You're a fan of Zappa, aren't you? Maybe I am wrong.

I know exactly what you mean with the controlled reverberation thing. One of the first signs of a good voice and hearing. Did he have a classical vocal education? I've always wondered about that with Robert Plant and Freddy but too lazy to look it up.

Back to the topic....you heard the good old-fashioned lover boy song? That, um, gay (in the old sense, lol) part of Freddy's personality is underrated IMO.

You're a fan of Zappa, aren't you? Maybe I am wrong.

I know exactly what you mean with the controlled reverberation thing.  One of the first signs of a good voice and hearing. Did he have a classical vocal education? I've always wondered about that with Robert Plant and Freddy but too lazy to look it up.

Back to the topic....you heard the good old-fashioned lover boy song?  That, um, gay (in the old sense, lol) part of Freddy's personality is underrated IMO.

FZ was a true original, and I am a BIG fan. The depth, range, and maturity of his collective body of work -- the dada stuff, the jazz-rock stuff, the "pottymouth" stuff, the classical stuff -- is akin to the lifetime output of someone like Mozart.

The best thing about Zappa was that he knew that notes were just notes, and any one musical note coul conceivably follow any other note in a composition and conventional structure can take a leap. His misical life, the "Project/Object" was spent exploring and expressing the nuances of the "Big Note", and with that in mind, all of the circular/cyclical/self-referening in his music over the years("conceptual continuity", the "crux of the biscuit") still leaves me in awe.

I left Freddy off the short list of upper echelon rock power vocalists only because this is the Freddy thread and that's why the topic came up. He was brilliant and pulled off stuff that would have come off campy or over-the-top had it been executed by anyone else. Mercury/May was as perfect a pairing as you'll find.