Braves, Venafro, sign one year deal

Guest wsc425

Braves Sign Reliever Mike Venafro

The Associated Press

Jan 13 2003 6:54PM

ATLANTA (AP) - Left-hander Mike Venafro and the Atlanta Braves agreed Monday to a $500,000, one-year contract.

Venafro, 29, went 2-2 with a 4.62 ERA in 47 games with the Oakland Athletics last season.

He allowed only 10 of 44 inherited runners to score, the eighth fewest among American League relievers.

Oakland failed to offer him a contract by Dec. 20, allowing him to become a free agent.

Venafro adds depth to the Braves' bullpen, which was one of baseball's best last season.

The Braves kept only two relievers from last season, closer John Smoltz and Kevin Gryboski. Their other relievers are Ray King, acquired from Milwaukee, and Darren Holmes.

Did Venafro hurt us in 2002? I have no recollection.

But if he is any good, just as soon see him change leagues where we don't have to see him - we aren't playing Atlanta this year, are we? Or should I quit being lazy and check the schedule...

We play the NL West in interleague play plus the Cubs.

I know Cali and I are going to be headin to Dodger Stadium to see the Sox play the Dodgers  :headbang

f*** YEAH! When do Dodger Tickets go on sale, I wanna get some good seats...