Fight Club

BrandoFan

"I like to call them my single serve friends"

"Thats pretty clever."

"Yeah."

"How's that working out for you?"

"Whats that?"

"Being clever, hows that working out for you?"

I love that movie, and Norton is just one of those actors that always puts in a solid performance.

I really liked 4/5 of that movie, but hated the ending. I liked the psychopathic aspects of it well enough, but in the final scenes where things go urban-apocalyptic I can't continue suspending disbelief.

I agree, great performance by Edward Norton, though. It's got nothing on his performance in Death To Smoochy, though (notice no green here - that film is very good).

Fight Club is the movie Brando is talking about.  It was a good moie.  Ed Norton was the very best in American History X though.  He's a really good actor.

Yeah, he was really good in American History X...

I git Fight Club on DVD...watched it last week again..It's just a cool movie

I really liked 4/5 of that movie, but hated the ending. I liked the psychopathic aspects of it well enough, but in the final scenes where things go urban-apocalyptic I can't continue suspending disbelief

I realize that after 9/11 it's especially hard to stomach, but I think I like the aesthetic aspect (cinematography, acting, soundtrack, etc) of the ending more than anything else.

Then again, I can find incredible beauty in nuclear explosions-- it's like staring directly into the Devil's eyes, that.

I realize that after 9/11 it's especially hard to stomach, but I think I like the aesthetic aspect (cinematography, acting, soundtrack, etc) of the ending more than anything else. 

Then again, I can find incredible beauty in nuclear explosions-- it's like staring directly into the Devil's eyes, that.

There was a certain stylized aesthetic to the film's ending, but the contrast with the rest of the film was too jarring for me. The stylized and highly unbelievable aesthetic of films like Dr. Strangelove or Terry Gilliam's Brazil work for me because they run throughout those films. In reference to your nuclear explosion as beauty bit, the final sequence in Strangelove when it all goes to hell to a crooner soundtrack (Til We Meet Again? I forget) is a perfect case in point.

"We've all be raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie Gods, and Rock Stars, but we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we are very very pissed off!"

---Tyler Durden

There was a certain stylized aesthetic to the film's ending, but the contrast with the rest of the film was too jarring for me.  The stylized and highly unbelievable aesthetic of films like Dr. Strangelove or Terry Gilliam's Brazil work for me because they run throughout those films.  In reference to your nuclear explosion as beauty bit, the final sequence in Strangelove when it all goes to hell to a crooner soundtrack (Til We Meet Again? I forget) is a perfect case in point.

Maybe it's because from the start I didn't take FC too seriously as a philosophical treatise/social commentary.

I think David Fincher's peculiar style and Ed Norton are the film's chief assets, while other acclaimed aspects of it are a bit on the trite-n-hollow-n-gratuitous side, certainly overrated. Hence the "solid" comment.

I realize the film could have been much, much more, but you must remember when and more importantly where it was made. I am just thankful it wasn't a mixed identity RomCom/Brad Pitt vehicle from the very beginning, lol

As far as Dr. Strangelove, I do admit to loving the Vera Lynn ending, tho I am surprised Kubrick didn't go with Humperdink's rendition, lol.

Maybe it's because from the start I didn't take FC too seriously as a philosophical treatise/social commentary.

I think David Fincher's peculiar style and Ed Norton are the film's chief assets, while other acclaimed aspects of it are a bit on the trite-n-hollow-n-gratuitous side, certainly overrated. Hence the "solid" comment. 

You'd be surprised about how much analyzation has gone into "Fight Club". In one of my film theory classes, we had a 3 hour discussion on "Fight Club" and how it represented the 90's as far as male behavior and social classes. I even did a paper on it and got an "A", which was hard for me to get on papers.

You'd be surprised about how much analyzation has gone into "Fight Club". In one of my film theory classes, we had a 3 hour discussion on "Fight Club" and how it represented the 90's as far as male behavior and social classes. I even did a paper on it and got an "A", which was hard for me to get on papers.

Palahniuk's book?