25 albums that should not have been recorded

GASHWOUND

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting concept, although I WHOLEHEARTEDLY disagree with #17. Vitalogy is not as revered as the wearlier 2 PJ albums because it doesnt provide as much "Grunge Radioplay" as "10" and "Vs." Honestly, Vitalogy is a great effort from Eddie and the guys, and lets you hear another train of thought from these songwriters that have had the success they did with their first 2 albums. Hows the saying go? You make your first album to obtain commercial success, then you can focus on what YOU want to do. Well, thats what Vitalogy is, and critics obviously don't get the fact that bands evolve, and make music about how they are feeling AT THE TIME of recording.

#11 is f***ING hillarious!!! I agree wholeheartedly. Glad I'm not the only one that sees that, but not sure how much I really value the opinions of this poll after statingt he above.

Also, (Dis)honarable mention is RIGHT ON. Could someone please show Metallica the door please?

this is the funniest part of that list

24. Dance Into the Light

Phil Collins (1996)

This yawn-inducing album was released after Phil Collins left Genesis. Now we can see who had the true talent.

23. Calling All Stations

Genesis (1997)

This yawn inducing album was released after Phil Collins left Genesis. Now we can see who had the true talent.

Funniest part is hard to call. I thought the comment on the Vitalogy section was pretty stinking funny, but I like how it starts right out with a bang:

This is a list reserved for the "gods" of music, not Top 40 pop-whores. We understand that Britney and Justin and Avril and who-the-f***-ever else are going to put out mindless sugarcoated crap. That's what pop music is, after all.

I agree with most of the selections - this is a 'good list of bad releases by good artists' (?!?).

The answer to the seemingly tautological questions regarding who the true talent in Genesis was is, of course, Gabriel. (duh)

I like Neil Young as much as anyone, but having seen the Trans tour live (ouch!) I concur that was a real clunker.

I concur with the inclusion of Vitology, while still agreeing in principle with Cap's reference to usually making a first album to obtain commercial success and later focusing on what you want to do. With Pearl jam, though, the difference was that the first album is a collection of songs based on like 10 years of stuff Vedder carried around in his head, the second album was an energized band captureed in the moment, and the third album was mostly fumes.

I only disagree vehemently with the inclusion of Todd Rundgren's very innovative "No World Order," but life as a Todd fan is often lonely so whatever.

The best part of the piece however was in the "open letter to EVH: "P.S. Although you're a great guitarist, I still say the best thing you ever fingered was Valerie Bertinelli."

I agree with most of the selections - this is a 'good list of bad releases by good artists' (?!?).

The answer to the seemingly tautological questions regarding who the true talent in Genesis was is, of course, Gabriel. (duh)

I like Neil Young as much as anyone, but having seen the Trans tour live (ouch!) I concur that was a real clunker.

I concur with the inclusion of Vitology, while still agreeing in principle with Cap's reference to usually making a first album to obtain commercial success and later focusing on what you want to do.  With Pearl jam, though, the difference was that the first album is a collection of songs based on like 10 years of stuff Vedder carried around in his head, the second album was an energized band captureed in the moment, and the third album was mostly fumes.

I only disagree vehemently with the inclusion of Todd Rundgren's very innovative "No World Order," but life as a Todd fan is often lonely so whatever.

The best part of the piece however was in the "open letter to EVH:  "P.S. Although you're a great guitarist, I still say the best thing you ever fingered was Valerie Bertinelli."

FSJ, are you in the line of thinking, then, that the stuff PJ has put out since Vs. has been crap? I would hope not, as I think "Yield" and "Binaural" were as good as anything they have released. I can honestly say that "Riot Act" STILL hasn't caught on with me yet, but all other releases are a regular part of my CD rotation.

Metallica sucks...so does Korn, but thats just my opinion.

What are ya talkin about..Korn f***in rocks...They're my fav band of the rock groups out there..I love them.

Just ordered their latest album..should be here within the week

Can't believe this much hate for such a great rock band..but i guess it depends if you like that kinda music...

What are ya talkin about..Korn f***in rocks...They're my fav band of the rock groups out there..I love them.

Just ordered their latest album..should be here within the week

Can't believe this much hate for such a great rock band..but i guess it depends if you like that kinda music...

or talent...

but I'm always wrong :finger :lol:

OK then folks, as music conissuers(sp?), add an album that you personally think should NEVER have been recorded, and ACTUALLY explain yourself.

I'll start with a couple.

#1- Shaq-Fu:Da Return

Shaquille O'Neal.

**Are you kidding me? Shaq, just stick to the basketball court big guy.

#2- Spaghetti Incident?

Guns n' Roses

**Yikes, WTF was this effort, Axl?

Please, add some more.

OK then folks, as music conissuers(sp?), add an album that you personally think should NEVER have been recorded, and ACTUALLY explain yourself.

I'll start with a couple.

#1- Shaq-Fu:Da Return

Shaquille O'Neal.

**Are you kidding me? Shaq, just stick to the basketball court big guy.

#2- Spaghetti Incident?

Guns n' Roses

**Yikes, WTF was this effort, Axl?

Please, add some more.

Any album Shaq made should make the list..lol

Now there's someone who should have the tag..no talent..next to their name

:lol:

I'm gonna have to think about this...how bout that "gangsta rap" album MC Hammer or "Hammer" :lol: made... :rolleyes:

well, first of all, korn have zero songwriting ability. Just because they play 12 string basses and hot metal licks doesn't make them talented...ESPECIALLY when they're played on TRL. limp biiiiizkit anyone?

I could have done without hearing most of bon jovi's catalog.

well, first of all, korn have zero songwriting ability. Just because they play 12 string basses and hot metal licks doesn't make them talented...ESPECIALLY when they're played on TRL. limp biiiiizkit anyone?

I could have done without hearing most of bon jovi's catalog.

WHAT!?!?! Zero song writing ability!?!?! Now that statement proves you know ABSOLUTELY nothing about music cause clearly you're just making a generalization from maybe hearing a couple songs without actually listening to the words or reading the lyrics..if you have you would see that John Davis is an excellent song writer...His earlier stuff not as good as the latest stuff..

Especially their last album.."Untouchables" a wonderfully, emotional ride by John Davis and KORN...music reviewers from all over the country gave it excellent reviews..Why? cause it's a great album and if people actually listened to it from 1st song to last song...not hear..but listen you would appreciate the song writing..

and also the "hot metal licks" doesn't hurt

They're solid in both sides of the coin.......

I don't like Korn because I'm not a big fan of the really heavy metal.  Although I like AFI and they are pretty heavy, but a different style of music.

Yeah I'm into AFI and not a real big Korn fan either. I like songs like The Leaving Song Part 2, Girl not Grey and The Boy who Destroyed the World, they're a bit more tone downed than Korn.

Hmmmm I liked Vitalogy.

And St. Anger shouldn't be on the (Dis)Honorable mention list, it should be on the regular list. It is GOD AWFUL, GOD AWFUL.

And yes Korn does suck, the reason I don't like them is because, as far as heavy metal goes there are just so many better acts out there then them.

Hmmmm I liked Vitalogy.

And St. Anger shouldn't be on the (Dis)Honorable mention list, it should be on the regular list. It is GOD AWFUL, GOD AWFUL.

And yes Korn does suck, the reason I don't like them is because, as far as heavy metal goes there are just so many better acts out there then them.

Alright....Cali and I are on the same side of a music argument for once!! :lol: I just think that after '10' and 'Vs' commercial appeal, no music beat reporter was gonna be happy with 'Vitalogy'. The album, yes I agree it wasnt as commercially successful, but does that then mean it is a horrible album? Nope. Its quite the opposite actually. I figured if any PJ album woulda ended up on this list, it would be 'No Code'. Different, most definately.

Speakin of Korn, on one of the musical networks shows down here, there's a request show called RoVer which is a Dog who plays Music that ppl request, and one of the ads sum1 sends him a message askin him to play Korn, and RoVer smiles, and plays 3 corns with guitars. :lol:

Two reasons I don't like Korn:

Jon Davis' voice - VERY annoying, nasal and whiney

That horrible bass sound they have - it sounds like the pickup is broken or like someone dropped a bunch of coins in the amplifier and they're rattling around

Plus, I think their songs are horrible. Haven't heard a single one I like ( and thanks to Maury's bizarre obsession with them, I've heard WAAAAAAY more of their songs than I ever would have otherwise ).

Like Cali said, if you want metal, you can do MUCH MUCH better - although I wouldn't even enter Korn into a metal discussion myself.