25 albums that should not have been recorded

GASHWOUND

Like Cali said, if you want metal, you can do MUCH MUCH better - although I wouldn't even enter Korn into a metal discussion myself.

Yeah I agree, they can hardly be considered a metal band.

I also don't like that punching a paper bag bass sound either.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would include most albums that were made strictly for commercial gain or out of contractual obligations. In particular, I disdain most albums made after a principal talent in a group has left the band, died, etc. There are exceptions, like the Grateful Dead, who would kill off a keyboardist every few years (Pigpen, Keith Gadchaux, Brent Mydland... it waqs like being a Spinal Tap drummer, very dangerous gig), and still keep it together. On the other hand...

- The Doors released wo albums after Morrison died, Other Voices and Full Circle. Both of them blow.

- While there are a couple of strong numbers on the Who's Face Dances, they probably should have packed it in after Keith Moon died. Certainly It's Hard was a very forgetable album.

-There should be a law against Elton John releasing anything that Bernie Taupin did not collaborate on (his Disney movie and Broadway music is the reasonable exception since lyrical heavyweight Tim Rice fills in nicely there).

- The Yes "Drama" album, occurring in between the John Anderson/Steve Howe classic incarnation and the John Anderson/Trevor Rabin 90210 80s overhaul. Trevor Horn's vocals may have cut it for the Buggles, but not here.

- The tracks from Led Zeppelin's "Coda" should still be on the editing room floor, as should maybe half of Physical Grafitti and much of Presence. The success of the musically diverse In Through The Out Door shows there was still some gas in the tank had Bonzo not died, but a lot of the early innovativeness was missing in the latter albums.

- Pink Floyd's "Final Cut" was weak, but not as glaringly vacant and self-parodying as any of the albums since Roger Waters split.

etc., etc...

FSJ, are you in the line of thinking, then, that the stuff PJ has put out since Vs. has been crap? I would hope not, as I think "Yield" and "Binaural" were as good as anything they have released. I can honestly say that "Riot Act" STILL hasn't caught on with me yet, but all other releases are a regular part of my CD rotation.

I don't think any of it has been crap, including Vitology. Just not at the same level as 10 or Vs. Maybe Vitology shouldn't have made the top 25 mistakes list, but I still agree it's a lesser effort put out quickly to appease a label.

I think the first Countinng Crows album is spectacular, and while I very much enjoy the later releases I can appreciate the criticism of those who say they're not as good as the first, so that's basically the same situation. I doubt Nirvana could have kept it up in any meaningful way had Cobain not left the building. The upside to that I guess is I like the vast majority of the Foo Fighters' stuff, and Grohl may never have had a chance to do that stuff if he was stuck churning out retreads with Nirvana.

Hey Gash...

so when I said that Korn has zero song writing ability, and you responded with "you don't know anything about music" and then everyone echoed my sentiment, because Korn, in fact sucks...

apology accepted.

son, don't tell ME that I don't know music.

Hey Gash...

so when I said that Korn has zero song writing ability, and you responded with "you don't know anything about music" and then everyone echoed my sentiment, because Korn, in fact sucks...

apology accepted.

son, don't tell ME that I don't know music.

LOL...now that statement truly tells of your smuggness...First of all..just cause 4 people or whatever on here doesn't like the band doesn't echo your statement that they "suck"

You go and find every album review from all the major music critics..80% would call them a great metal band..or Nu-metal..whatever you wanna call it..Are they idiots who know nothing about music?

what bands like Limp Bizkit and their kin were missing, and what would never get them to a level higher than that occupied by Korn, was the raw emotionality of Jonathan Davis' lyrics and the band's refusal to adhere to a set formula. Rather than follow, they led the genre... and they have led it well...

Like their album "Untouchables" prob being their best "Complete" album..cause they moved forward lyrically and still have the great guitar rifts and just a rockin sound

You go to a site like Amazon and see the nearly 900 reviews of that album you'll see 4 or 5 star reviews all the way through...Of course these are most likely KORN fans and an opinion....and that's what you and the other people here have given.........AN OPINION...some may just not like that kind of "sound" some like soft rockers..pop rockers...whatevr you want to call them like mentioned above..AFI..Good Charlotte..Coldplay or the Stokes..lyrically some of them are good..but use a completely different approach

That's a diff kind of sound than KORN...

I bet every single person on this board may hate Celion Dion and call her music horrible,,crap..whatever..but millions of people like her and would prob say she is a great songwriter or whatever...

It's all a matter of taste....you just make inept statements...in case you don't understand what i mean..."revealing lack of perceptiveness or judgment"

Everyone has diff tastes...

I have a wide range of music tastes...if you can see my iTunes library you can see my tastes...Along with all the Korn songs..NIN songs..Rob Zombie songs...I have Coldplay..which i think is a wonderful band..in my top 5 fav bands right now...and a great cd collection of all my fav bands, The Doors, Dylan,CredenceClearwaterRevival,Clapton, The Kinks,SteveMiller Band,Van Morrison, Bowie..etc

So for my love for Korn..I love classic rock even more..and have all the AFI...GoodCharlotte.. or whoever singles in my lib..

I love it all

Being close minded and saying what you say is the end all cause the claim that you know more than someone else about music..which is a completely made judgment call by you...

I can say I am a Jack of all Trades and know more about carpentry than anybody else..but that would be a lie...

So claim if you will that you're some sort of musical genius...saying that you are something doesn't make it true.

So to conlude..for the few people who said that Korn sucks and you thinking you made your point or you getting the best of me..HA..I could point you(like I said above) to hundreds of music critics...album reviews from music buyers who also may claim to know everything about music to prove you wrong or get the best of you....So how is there a apology coming to you????????Cause a few people agreed with you? Cause you think you "Got" me?

SON, I CAN tell you you know nothing about music..You know why???

People who know things about music, or are lets say music critics HAVE to have perceptiveness and judgment...and don't make blatant statements.

Hate the band..say they suck..it's an opinion..saying they are a sucky band cause YOU or a few people said so doesn't make it so..cause clearly there are people out there who would say they are a great band..it's just back and forth nonsense...

Please, don't put words in my mouth..

apology accepted

Please, that just makes you look kinda silly saying stuff like that..

Smug is the word I'm looking for...you agree? :rolleyes: :fyou :finger

sox4lifeinpa

:dips***

I'm a nice guy...but you're just too smug for your own good and you come off like a :dips*** ..sorry

I totally agree about the Metallisucks entry. They should have hung it up after the Black Album cause that was the last quality album they made. After that they degenerated into a whiny alternative sissy band. One thing pro atheletes, movie stars and singers never learned was the value of going out at the top of their game. It would be so much better that way cause then we could remember how great they were rather than watch them decline & rot away.

I think the only one that ever got that right was John Elway.

I totally agree about the Metallisucks entry.  They should have hung it up after the Black Album cause that was the last quality album they made.  After that they degenerated into a whiny alternative sissy band.  One thing pro atheletes, movie stars and singers never learned was the value of going out at the top of their game.  It would be so much better that way cause then we could remember how great they were rather than watch them decline & rot away. 

I think the only one that ever got that right was John Elway.

I think not any whole album they made since the Black album was good as a "Whole" they had some good songs here and there since then though

but then again how can any band follow such a masterpiece like the Black album???

I think not any whole album they made since the Black album was good as a "Whole" they had some good songs here and there since then though

but then again how can any band follow such a masterpiece like the Black album???

That's a good point. There was maybe 1 or 2 tracks on that album that I didnt like everything else kicked ass.

Post-1991 Metallica songs that were pretty cool were "King Nothing", "Until it sleeps" & Unforgiven 2 but thats about it really IMO

Per Request...

Reasons Why I don't like Korn:

-The aformentioned crappy whining voice on Jon Davis and bass sound.

-Their songs are boring and bland as far as metal goes (which they are more hard rock than metal) You can always tell when a Korn song comes on because they all have the same structure. Distortion, really really really low tuned, so low it's not even a note half the time riff, punchy bassline.... Whine Whine Whine.

-The names of the band members.

-Fieldy(see above)'s solo rap album.

-So, So, So many better acts out there today then them in the metal genre, which again they're hardly in.

-"Issues" and the 18 different covers.

-Jon Davis always has to have his patented "jibberish breakdown" in the songs, I guess he thinks that's cool or something.

-That video with the bullet missing killing people, yeah it was cool at first, but after 8 billions times of seeing it, it got old. And Jon Davis yells at the bullet once it gets to him.

-They seem to put out bi-yearly albums back in the late 90's, shows that they didn't put much time into recording it.

-That stupid microphone that Jon Davis sings into when they play live.

- Bagpipes. Yeah it's cool that you can play them and all, but lets stick to the big three, it sounds a lot better that way.

-And last but certainly not least. KORN SUCKS. :D

Per Request...

Reasons Why I don't like Korn:

-The aformentioned crappy whining voice on Jon Davis and bass sound.

-Their songs are boring and bland as far as metal goes (which they are more hard rock than metal) You can always tell when a Korn song comes on because they all have the same structure. Distortion, really really really low tuned, so low it's not even a note half the time riff, punchy bassline.... Whine Whine Whine.

-The names of the band members.

-Fieldy(see above)'s solo rap album.

-So, So, So many better acts out there today then them in the metal genre, which again they're hardly in.

-"Issues" and the 18 different covers.

-Jon Davis always has to have his patented "jibberish breakdown" in the songs, I guess he thinks that's cool or something.

-That video with the bullet missing killing people, yeah it was cool at first, but after 8 billions times of seeing it, it got old. And Jon Davis yells at the bullet once it gets to him.

-They seem to put out bi-yearly albums back in the late 90's, shows that they didn't put much time into recording it.

-That stupid microphone that Jon Davis sings into when they play live.

- Bagpipes. Yeah it's cool that you can play them and all, but lets stick to the big three, it sounds a lot better that way.

-And last but certainly not least. KORN SUCKS. :D

That's cool..Your opinion..if you gave me your top 10 fav bands right now I could prob say the same about them...or anyone could..Anybody could tear apart any band if they tried..Coldplay are whiny asses and the lead singer has a whiny voice..whatever.

You know what I mean..

It's silly...Like I said..I can point out tons of great things music reviewers or fans that can say great things about them..It's back and forth nonsense :)

The one cool thing about Korn was I liked the Todd McFarlane album covers. Then again, Uriah Heap had a cool Roger Dean cover on one of their albums way back when, but the record inside was pretty unbearable. And Frazetta art didn't make a silk purse out of the sow's ear known as Molly Hatchet either...

That's cool..Your opinion..if you gave me your top 10 fav bands right now I could prob say the same about them...or anyone could..Anybody could tear apart any band if they tried..Coldplay are whiny asses and the lead singer has a whiny voice..whatever.

You know what I mean..

It's silly...Like I said..I can point out tons of great things music reviewers or fans that can say great things about them..It's back and forth nonsense :)

Well you asked for a list besides "They Suck" which, face it, you were asking for that to be my last reason, and I gave it to you. ;)

I don't think any of it has been crap, including Vitology.  Just not at the same level as 10 or Vs.  Maybe Vitology shouldn't have made the top 25 mistakes list, but I still agree it's a lesser effort put out quickly to appease a label.

I think the first Countinng Crows album is spectacular, and while I very much enjoy the later releases I can appreciate the criticism of those who say they're not as good as the first, so that's basically the same situation.  I doubt Nirvana could have kept it up in any meaningful way had Cobain not left the building.  The upside to that I guess is I like the vast majority of the Foo Fighters' stuff, and Grohl may never have had a chance to do that stuff if he was stuck churning out retreads with Nirvana.

Agreed, GREAT point FSJ. The fact that one of my now favorite artists of all time, Foo Fighters, were able to come out of the Cobain fiasco, stands as a positive. Dave Grohl has come a LONG way since being teh background drummer of Nirvana.

Agreed, GREAT point FSJ. The fact that one of my now favorite artists of all time, Foo Fighters, were able to come out of the Cobain fiasco, stands as a positive. Dave Grohl has come a LONG way since being teh background drummer of Nirvana.

Ohh, I LOVE Foo Fighters..there in my top 5 fav bands right now..they just pump out great songs... :headbang

LOL...now that statement truly tells of your smuggness...First of all..just cause 4 people or whatever on here doesn't like the band doesn't echo your statement that they "suck"

You go and find every album review from all the major music critics..80% would call them a great metal band..or Nu-metal..whatever you wanna call it..Are they idiots who know nothing about music?

what bands like Limp Bizkit and their kin were missing, and what would never get them to a level higher than that occupied by Korn, was the raw emotionality of Jonathan Davis' lyrics and the band's refusal to adhere to a set formula. Rather than follow, they led the genre... and they have led it well...

Like their album "Untouchables" prob being their best "Complete" album..cause they moved forward lyrically and still have the great guitar rifts and just a rockin sound

You go to a site like Amazon and see the nearly 900 reviews of that album you'll see 4 or 5 star reviews all the way through...Of course these are most likely KORN fans and an opinion....and that's what you and the other people here have given.........AN OPINION...some may just not like that kind of "sound" some like soft rockers..pop rockers...whatevr you want to call them like mentioned above..AFI..Good Charlotte..Coldplay or the Stokes..lyrically some of them are good..but use a completely different approach

That's a diff kind of sound than KORN...

I bet every single person on this board may hate Celion Dion and call her music horrible,,crap..whatever..but millions of people like her and would prob say she is a great songwriter or whatever...

It's all a matter of taste....you just make inept statements...in case you don't understand what i mean..."revealing lack of perceptiveness or judgment"

Everyone has diff tastes...

I have a wide range of music tastes...if you can see my iTunes library you can see my tastes...Along with all the Korn songs..NIN songs..Rob Zombie songs...I have Coldplay..which i think is a wonderful band..in my top 5 fav bands right now...and a great cd collection of all my fav bands, The Doors, Dylan,CredenceClearwaterRevival,Clapton, The Kinks,SteveMiller Band,Van Morrison, Bowie..etc

So for my love for Korn..I love classic rock even more..and have all the AFI...GoodCharlotte.. or whoever singles in my lib..

I love it all

Being close minded and saying what you say is the end all cause the claim that you know more than someone else about music..which is a completely made judgment call by you...

I can say I am a Jack of all Trades and know more about carpentry than anybody else..but that would be a lie...

So claim if you will that you're some sort of musical genius...saying that you are something doesn't make it true.

So to conlude..for the few people who said that Korn sucks and you thinking you made your point or you getting the best of me..HA..I could point you(like I said above) to hundreds of music critics...album reviews from music buyers who also may claim to know everything about music to prove you wrong or get the best of you....So how is there a apology coming to you????????Cause a few people agreed with you? Cause you think you "Got" me?

SON, I CAN tell you you know nothing about music..You know why???

People who know things about music, or are lets say music critics HAVE to have perceptiveness and judgment...and don't make blatant statements.

Hate the band..say they suck..it's an opinion..saying they are a sucky band cause YOU or a few people said so doesn't make it so..cause clearly there are people out there who would say they are a great band..it's just  back and forth nonsense...

Please, don't put words in my mouth..

Please, that just makes you look kinda silly saying stuff like that..

Smug is the word I'm looking for...you agree? :rolleyes:  :fyou  :finger

sox4lifeinpa

:dips***

I'm a nice guy...but you're just too smug for your own good and you come off like a  :dips*** ..sorry

haha, i could just see gash sitting behind his computer thinking this was the post that would sink the SS Sox4life.

first of all, I said that Korn was crap, which many people echoed. So, my point was made. Futhermore, you are correct, there no doubt will be some people out there who will say Korn is in fact great. There are, however, people out there that enjoy goat sex over intercourse with human beings and individuals that think it's ok that Michael Jackson plays "rubba rubba" with little boys. In all cases, they are incorrect. I'm not saying that you can't like them, I'm not necessarily saying that I'd judge you for liking them, but you must realize that there is no arguement for this band having songwriting ability. Melodies, themes, structure, lyrics, they don't possess the talent of such bands as the beatles, REM, Coldplay, Sly and the family stone, Paul simon, the buggles or Tiffany.

You won't find anyone to agree with ya bud. THAT was my point.

Smug? yes. Like I winoj, I have alot of exposure to music (not men:lol:) both as the listener, the producer, the performer and the writer. Probably more than most people here....and definitely you. I go to a dentist when my tooth hurts. you can come to me when you want to listen to something new and good...

good night. ;)

(p.s. Chris martin of Coldplay does NOT have a whinny voice...) listen to Jeff Buckley if you're interested...