***NEWS-Sox trade for Juan Uribe

bulokis

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This move is pretty harmless; I don't think it can do anything to hurt us. Though we could get a possible breakout guy in this. He seems like a player Ozzie would really like to. This trade does make me think that Jose's soon to be on his way out, which I'm really starting to see as a plus.

This is a guy that has had two half seasons in the majors and one full season. Last year he was coming abck from a broken foot that cost him about 5 weeks early in the season.

He made a big push late in the year, but at 21 he played 74 games and hit .300 for the Rockies. This is a good risk.

Now lets trade Rowand for Payton.

This move is pretty harmless; I don't think it can do anything to hurt us.  Though we could get a possible breakout guy in this.  He seems like a player Ozzie would really like to.  This trade does make me think that Jose's soon to be on his way out, which I'm really starting to see as a plus.

I think Ozzie could help firther develop him. This is one of the major reasons I liked getting oz though because of what he can do with the guys who run.

Ya trading for a 26 year old AAA, for a 24 Major Leauge SS, with Potential really shows this organization is really going down hill

:bang Josh :bang

Juan Uribe Sucks big time. While the Cubs try to help there bullpen getting latroy hawkins, Reinsdork is still slapping Kenny in the face and showing him how to keep Payroll below 50 million, while everybody is looking at our players. Ohh yeah keep them happy by getting Jose Hernandez part II. Hell at least i wish he had hernandez arm and Pop. :bang :bang :bang

Uribe is definitely worth Miles.

Miles was a career minor leaguer and very ordinary fielder.

We got him as a rule 5 guy. I believe he's played 7 or 8 minor league seasons and never reached the bigs until last fall..

Uribe might be a bust because he's got terrible plate discipline.

But you gotta figure Ozzie recommended this move because he saw the guy play in the NL the last two seasons and figures he has potential.

It's not going to win the division, but it's a plus move.

And hell, it gives the Sox some speed.

We still need another starter and somebody else in the bullpen.

Here is what John Sickels, the minor league guru at ESPN, said about Uribe two years ago when he was considered a top prospect.

Remember, this is two years old:

Steve B. writes: What's your opinion of shortstop Juan Uribe of the Colorado Rockies? His progress this season was very impressive as he posted a good average and power numbers, and he draws rave reviews for his fielding. But I'm concerned about his plate discipline (eight BB and 55 SO in 273 AB). Is he a future All-Star or do you think he'll struggle once NL pitchers figure him out?

Uribe hit .336 with a .586 slugging percentage at Coors Field, but just .269 with a .469 slugging percentage on the road. His OBP splits were .356/.298. Obviously, the thin air helps him tremendously, but while his OBP is weak on the road, he still showed some pop there. He's a better hitter than Neifi Perez, at least, and given his age (just 21), he has a lot of development time ahead of him. His defense is excellent, so he'll stay in the lineup for a long time even if he doesn't improve offensively. As you point out, strike zone judgment is his biggest weakness. If Uribe doesn't improve his plate discipline, I wouldn't expect him to improve much. But even mild progress will help him, and given his age, that is quite possible. It wouldn't surprise me to see Uribe make some All-Star teams, though whether he develops into a genuine star, or just a Coors Field-boosted player, depends on the strike zone judgment.

For the record, last season he had something like 17 walks in 316 at bats, so his strike zone judgment remains awful.

Uribe is definitely worth Miles.

Miles was a career minor leaguer and very ordinary fielder.

We got him as a rule 5 guy. I believe he's played 7 or 8 minor league seasons and never reached the bigs until last fall..

Uribe might be a bust because he's got terrible plate discipline.

But you gotta figure Ozzie recommended this move because he saw the guy play in the NL the last two seasons and figures he has potential.

It's not going to win the division, but it's a plus move.

And hell, it gives the Sox some speed.

We still need another starter and somebody else in the bullpen.

If the Sox dont' get an ace, then in my mind they need two more starters and your right, they definately need some guys in the pen. But thats what the offseason is for :headbang

One thing you gotta love about Soxtalk...the ability to get enraged over the smallest of deals. First the Sox pick up Schoeneweis for a reliever that hadn't pitched in a month and some people were about to slash their own throats over it, and now a career minor leaguer for a decent SS and some want to burn The Cell to the ground. Not every deal can be for ARod or Bonds. Can't turn chickens*** into chicken salad either.

So your saying that Miles is better than Uribe???? I dont think he is, along with pretty much everyone else on this site. Thats all this trade did, an upgrade

I didn't say Miles was better.

In his defense, it looks like he's pretty good with the glove

2001: Gms: 155 Gs: 150 at SS E: 27 DP: 119 FP: .966 LgAvgFP: .970 Range Factor: 5.24 LgAvg: 4.52

2002: Gms at SS: 74 Gs: 69 E: 11 DP: 57 FP: .972 LgAvgFP: .973 Range Factor: 5.79 LgRF: 4.52

AT second: 11 games 10 started E: 1 DP: 10 FP: .985 LgPc .983 Range Factor: 6.57 LgAvg: 5.12

Maybe a switch to second could work. Still he needs to walk more

Well, I am back from my hunting trip to Michigan and has a s***load happened! Uribe for Miles sounds fair. Its a decent deal. I hear Uribe has tons of potential. I like the trade for the Sox and it is the perfect move to get the Sox going in the off-season. Its a confidence-builder.

first, its pretty pathetic of us to get all excited over a small deal........but.....we are white sox fans, so we have to talk about this deal like it were equal to the Schilling/Sexson deals...

Second, i think this means Tony G. is a goner

Third, this is good cuz he young, hes got potential, and he can play shortstop

fourth, this is the start of the whitsox roster moves :drink

Hopefully, no more Koch, Valentin, and Konerko!!! and just hopefull thinking...NO MORE THOMAS! :usa