What about Eddie Guardado

103 mph screwball

Trade Koch and a mid-level prospect to the Mets for Weathers and a long shot prospect and offer to pay half of the difference in their salaries.

Then go after Eddie Guardado. Why not?

Kane0730 just posted

" • The Twins are expected to re-sign closer Eddie Guardado for about $7.5 million for two years. But the Twins' Plan B, if they are unable to sign Guardado, is to try to sign free-agent right-handed closer Roberto Hernandez of Atlanta."

We should offer him 8.5 over two years. I think he would be worth that plus it would be yet another subtraction from the Twins bullpen. At the very least it might force the Twins to pay him more. I'm sure the Sox can somehow clear 4.25 mil for Steady Eddie.

Eddie Guardado - closer

Weathers - setup

Marte - setup

Wunch/Munoz

Wright

Ginter

Just an idea.

103 mph Screwball

Not a bad scenario, but I think money wise you are mistaken. I am not sure the Sox can clear 50 cents to sign an established name. I think what we will see is trades and signing role players for cheap. I do hope we still end up with Colon though. Reports have it that we might be in line to try and get him for less than the original offer. Maybe and then again maybe not, but I hope we stay in the running.

Link didn't work for me.

Twins continue negotiations with Guardado, Stewart

La Velle E. Neal III, Star Tribune

Published December 7, 2003 TWIN1207

With a major deadline looming, the Twins should learn today if they will be able to sign closer Eddie Guardado and outfielder Shannon Stewart.

The club continued negotiations with both players on Saturday and appeared to make progress in its attempts to sign Guardado to a multi-year deal. Talks were expected to continue late Saturday night.

Teams have until 11 p.m. Twin Cities time today to offer arbitration to their free agents. If they don't, they can't sign that player until May 1. Those players then can sign with any other team without the penalty of compensatory picks.

The Twins, according to a source familiar with negotiations, have improved their offer to Guardado from two years plus a club option to three years totaling more than $12 million.

Guardado has 86 saves over the past two seasons and would be the longest-tenured player with the team if he returns.

Guardado had received offers from the Cubs, Athletics, Red Sox and Mariners, and now the White Sox have entered the picture, too. He would like to remain with the Twins, but it's believed he has received some offers for around $5 million a season and would have to accept less to stay in the Twin Cities.

Kevin Kohler, Guardado's agent, acknowledged the Twins had improved their offer. "At least we know now the Twins are serious in wanting Eddie back," he said.

The Twins have made a three-year offer to Stewart, who has received some interest from other clubs. Jeff Moorad and Brian Peters, who represent Stewart, will respond today.

"Brian Peters and I talked with [Twins assistant GM] Wayne Krivsky at some length today, a couple of times," Moorad said. "The Twins made a proposal that we appreciate and Shannon appreciates. At this point, we are studying that proposal and are considering what an appropriate response might look like. We would hope to share that response with the club [today]."

Stewart, who hit .322 after joining the Twins after the All-Star break, made $6.2 million last season.

"The timing of the process has been slower than we expected with the Twins," Moorad said. "At this point, we'll make the best use of the rest of the weekend that we can with the hope there might be a deal that makes sense.

"At this point, I would not characterize my feelings as optimistic. On the other hand, Shannon is open-minded to returning to the Twins."

The Twins and other clubs have stepped up negotiations with their free agents in recent days. The belief among agents and baseball officials is that many players will not be offered arbitration.

Krivsky has been handling negotiations for Guardado and Stewart. Twins General Manager Terry Ryan spent Saturday night at a charity event with third baseman Corey Koskie but said Friday he would be prepared to move on if he couldn't sign Guardado or Stewart.

"If you can't retain them, there are other alternatives," Ryan said. "There are players out there who could help us. There are a number of attractive guys who would fit the needs we have. Some of this will be defined by Monday."

The door is not totally closed on Guardado and Stewart if they aren't signed by tonight. The Twins could offer arbitration to them under the agreement that the player would reject it. That would allow the Twins to continue talks.

La Velle E. Neal III is at [email protected].

$5 mill a year?

It'd be worth it IMO. He's a pretty rock solid closer. We'd need to get that money somehow though....and that would definately involve trading Koch. Trade Koch for Weathers, with a little thrown in from us(maybe a mid-level prospect or two), and you clear up about $5 mill....and that's your $5 mill a year right there.

And then it helps weaken the Twins of course by subtracting from their bullpen strength. I still think they're going to have a good bullpen next year no matter what.

I don't know if paying Eddie Guardado 5 mill a year is quite worth it. Personally I thought Hawkins was the better of the relievers in Minnesota. I think the Sox would be better off investing 5 mill in two more relievers, plus Sullivan. Those two relievesr could be Lightenberg and Grimsley and I think the Sox would be pretty well set with those 3.