A Nes slant on Mont.

LDF

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2003/0113/1492077.html

Baseball owners plan to set up more detailed procedures this week for the possible sale and relocation of the Montreal Expos.

The committee appointed in November by commissioner Bud Selig meets Wednesday as a two-day gathering of owners starts in Scottsdale, Ariz.

"We're expecting to get the homework assignment from the committee, including what specific areas the committee is interested in hearing about and the timeline,'' Bobby Goldwater, president of the DC Sports and Entertainment Commission, said Monday.

"We were told a presentation would be taking place anytime from late February, March, it could even be in April. That's the expectation. That's what we were told would happen.''

Washington and Portland are the only two areas known to be vying for the Expos, with separate groups formed for downtown Washington and Northern Virginia. Baltimore Orioles owner Peter Angelos has objected to a team moving to Washington, and it's not clear if he would try to block a relocation to his area.

Baseball's committee is charged with making a recommendation to Selig by the All-Star break in July.

"They're going to give us all the details of what they want to see in the presentation,'' said Drew Mahalic, chief executive officer of the Oregon Sports Authority. "They are going to want to see that Portland corporately, politically and demographically is able to support the Montreal Expos.''

Interest in the Expos has not developed in Charlotte, N.C., which in the 1990s discussed a possible move by the Minnesota Twins.

The Expos were bought by the other 29 major league teams before the 2002 season. The franchise is being operated by the commissioner's office, which has ordered the team to cut payroll, leading Montreal general manager Omar Minaya to consider dealing pitchers Bartolo Colon and Javier Vazquez, and catcher Michael Barrett.

To increase revenue, the commissioner's office moved 22 Expos' "home'' games in 2003 to San Juan, Puerto Rico. No team has moved since the expansion Washington Senators became the Texas Rangers after the 1971 season.

Selig's committee on the Expos includes Chicago White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf and Texas Rangers owner Tom Hicks, along with Bob DuPuy, baseball's chief operating officer, and Selig's daughter, Wendy Selig-Prieb.

At the owners' meeting, Selig also is expected to discuss his plan to have the team that wins the All-Star Game get home-field advantage in the World Series.

what got me is that jr on on the committee of operating the team. could that be one reason why the lack of news of any trade? don't want to be charge with olaying favoritism or influencing any trades?

what got me is that jr on on the committee of operating the team. could that be one reason why the lack of news of any trade? don't want to be charge with olaying favoritism or influencing any trades?

Well, him being on it will be why the Sox have to give up a ton to make the trade. If the Sox give up some slugs, then people will think it was a 'favor'.

I am amazed that Selig's daughter, Wendy Selig-Prieb is on this committee. Selig is really micro-managing this and obviosuly the committee is just a front for Selig.

And what is very curious is that the probable law suit by the former owners who felt the got screwed, if that lawsuit goes forward under Canadian law, with the discovery process, that Selig's fingerprints are everywhere on the screwing of those burned investors. And since they have Seagrams money to back them up, I don't expect them to go away. Could turn out to be the most interesting baseball legal case since Curt Flood's case and the collusion case.

It wouldn't show favoritism towards JR if we gave up some slugs....because Texas could just make the same move. The article said that Tom Hicks is also on the committee....if any team needs starting pitching more than us to compete, it's them.

I hate to say this, because it will just backfire on me and turn false....but I think this one's in the bag.

Guest hotsoxchick1
It wouldn't show favoritism towards JR if we gave up some slugs....because Texas could just make the same move.  The article said that Tom Hicks is also on the committee....if any team needs starting pitching more than us to compete, it's them. 

I hate to say this, because it will just backfire on me and turn false....but I think this one's in the bag.

texas cant afford any moves with payrods salary.....lol......please tell me that this isnt the first time you all have heard about jr and wendy lu being on this commitee.........this is the oldest news.......and most likely why we wouldnt be getting anyone from montreal in the first place unless it was done via three way trade with someone outside of the commitee............

It wouldn't show favoritism towards JR if we gave up some slugs....because Texas could just make the same move.  The article said that Tom Hicks is also on the committee....if any team needs starting pitching more than us to compete, it's them.  

texas cant afford any moves with payrods salary.....lol......please tell me that this isnt the first time you all have heard about jr and wendy lu being on this commitee.........this is the oldest news.......and most likely why we wouldnt be getting anyone from montreal in the first place unless it was done via three way trade with someone outside of the commitee............

i honestly didn't know that jr was on the committee.

It would be like this only if we got Colon and Vazquez for Stewart and Ginter, or something like that...this isn't like Sirotka for Wells or anything...if it is a decent trade, than it is a decent trade. How do people know that Scheurholz in ATL wasn't just doing Ed Wade a favor by trading him Kevin Millwood for Johnny Estrada?

People should understand it is a salary dump, and that the players they get in return will help both teams in the long run....only if it was a total screw over would anyone be suspicious.

Guest hotsoxchick1
It wouldn't show favoritism towards JR if we gave up some slugs....because Texas could just make the same move.  The article said that Tom Hicks is also on the committee....if any team needs starting pitching more than us to compete, it's them.  

i honestly didn't know that jr was on the committee.

no foolin ldf.. there was a huge article i think it was on espn.com about two months ago about how not only the south sider fans hate jr but now the north(by that they meant montreal) fans hated him too....it was very interesting.......ill have to dig around to see if i can find it and post it up here for ya.......