Did you get a flu shot this year?

Texsox

Did you get a flu shot this year?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Did you get a flu shot this year?

• Yes
    • No

No. Mostly because the shot is very hit or miss. Because of the quickness in which the flu virus can mutate, it is almost pointless for most people to get a flu shot. The strain that is going around this year is particularly nasty, and viral, and isn't being much affected by the antiviruses.

Story in today's Trib

A flu outbreak that is expected to be the nation's worst in at least 30 years is sweeping through schools and workplaces, sending people in droves to their doctors and threatening to cause tens of thousands of deaths.

"Influenza is a killer virus. And the way things are going, this year will be the worst I've seen in my career," said Dr. Greg Poland, 48, director of the vaccine research group at the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota.

He estimates that as many as 70,000 Americans could die from flu complications this winter, almost double the average annual flu death toll of 36,000.

Five children have lost their lives to flu during the past few weeks in Colorado; the death of a 2-year-old with flulike symptoms is under investigation.

At least four Texans, including three children and an adult, have been killed by flu-related illness, as have three elderly nursing home residents in Washington state. In Albuquerque, three children and an adult died of complications from influenza during the Thanksgiving holiday weekend.

So far, cases in Illinois have been confined largely to Cook County, said Chuck Jennings, influenza surveillance coordinator for the Illinois Department of Public Health.

But as in other parts of the country, the flu has been cropping up earlier than usual in Illinois, making it possible the illness will peak around Christmas and New Year's, a few weeks before its typical mid-January apex.

At fault for the early flu season: a particularly virulent strain known as H3N2, which historically is associated with especially widespread epidemics and particularly high levels of hospitalizations and deaths.

Typically, more than 110,000 Americans are hospitalized each year with flu; this season, the numbers are likely to be higher, Poland said.

Another problem: The H3N2 virus mutated to a variety called the Fujian strain, new to the U.S. While the current flu vaccine was designed to counter three viruses, including H3N2, it doesn't match the Fujian strain exactly.

As a result, "more patients who have received their flu shots are catching the flu and coming in ill," said Dr. Eric France, chief of preventive medicine at Kaiser Permanente, Colorado's largest health maintenance organization, with about 400,000 members.

Doctors at the HMO are seeing 30 to 40 patients a day with influenza symptoms, while dozens more each day are showing up at clinics asking for flu shots.

Fortunately, this year there's no shortage of vaccine as was the case in the past several years--at least not yet. Some 85 million doses were prepared and "there is still a good amount of vaccine in the pipeline," said Tom Skinner, a spokesman at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta.

Although the vaccine doesn't precisely match the dominant Fujian strain of the flu virus this year, it does offer some protection and physicians widely recommend it.

"Get your shots," Skinner said, especially if you're considered at risk, a group that includes young children with immature immune systems, people with chronic health problems such as asthma or diabetes, and older adults.

Texas was the first state to record a widespread flu outbreak, in October. Experts speculate the virus could have come into the Southwestern United States via boat or plane, but they don't really know.

"We've never had this much flu circulating this early. It's unprecedented," said Neil Pascoe, influenza surveillance coordinator for the Texas Department of Health, which does not keep a precise count of flu cases.

Hospitals, however, are keeping tabs. Children's Medical Center in Dallas has recorded 537 cases of influenza this autumn, compared to 95 for the period from October 2002 through April 2003.

Of those children, 37 percent have been sick enough to be admitted to the hospital, and more than 20 children have ended up in intensive care. Three children have died.

"Influenza typically comes into a community through its children, and it does seem we're seeing children who are sicker this year," said Dr. Jane Siegel, chair of the hospital's infection control committee.

[/b]Colorado was the next state to be hammered by the illness: As of Wednesday, 6,306 confirmed cases of influenza were recorded, compared with 2,681 for the 2002-03 season.

"That's just the tip of the iceberg," said Dr. Ken Gershman, chief of the communicable disease program at Colorado's Department of Health. "And we still have several more months to go."

Entire schools have been laid low by sore throats, aching muscles and a tiredness that just doesn't seem to go away. The week before Thanksgiving, all three schools in Fairplay, a Colorado mountain community in the center of the state, were closed after 30 percent of their students called in sick.

Children's Hospital in Denver has hospitalized 77 children during the past few weeks, one-third of whom appeared healthy before the flu struck.

Joseph Williams, 8, had never missed a day of school. When the 3rd-grader complained of a stomachache the Saturday before Thanksgiving, his parents weren't overly alarmed. But two days later, his health was declining rapidly. He was admitted to a northern Colorado hospital.

Later that day, Nov. 24, the youngster died after his veins collapsed, according to a report last week in The Denver Post.

"It happened so quickly. . . . He didn't have any flu symptoms" like a fever or a cough, said Scott Williams, the boy's father.

Children often do not exhibit the same flu symptoms as adults--they may have more stomachaches and diarrhea, and less of the all-encompassing body aches that adults tend to get, said Dr. Chris Nyquist, medical director for infection control at Children's Hospital.

Scott Williams knows that's all the more reason for parents to be vigilant this flu season.

"I just want to tell other parents. . . . Just have your kids checked if they even act sick," he said the day after his son died.

the one and only time I GOT the shot, I got sick with the flu

That happened to my boss at the last company I worked for - he was the coolest boss cuz he is a Sox fan and would let us listen to/follow the games during spring training and the regular season.

nothin like making yourself sick to prevent yourself from bein sick

besides, "flu vaccines" are just the way the govt puts its implants in you

Well, I'm not sick and I got one. I guess I am bugged now. Oh no, maybe the government will find out my secret plans to take over the world.