Bossier School Board upholds Advil expulsion

Texsox

Bossier School Board upholds Advil expulsion

Girl had over-the-counter pills in purse at school

Melody Brumble / The Times

Posted on December 5, 2003

A student expelled from Parkway High for a year for having Advil, an over-the-counter pain reliever, will not be allowed to return to the school.

Kelly Herpin and daughter Amanda Stiles, a sophomore, appealed the one-year expulsion to a Bossier Parish School Board committee Thursday night, spending about 10 minutes with the board's administrative committee behind closed doors.

The committee and the full board voted unanimously to uphold an administrative decision that Stiles be expelled to the alternative school.

School boards hold such hearings in a closed session, but parents have the right under state law to request that such sessions be open. Herpin didn't make that request but did speak to reporters after the hearing. She left before the board voted on her request but learned of its decision by phone.

"I'm not really sure at this point what we'll do," Herpin said. "I'm going to have to talk to my husband, and we're going to have to make some plans. I'm not sure we could afford a private school. We've been looking at moving to another area."

For the rest of the story http://www.shreveporttimes.com/html/AE0F03...F1898F37C.shtml

The school was searching for . . . OMG, cigarettes which would carry a one week suspension and found the motherlode, Advil. No word if it was sell weight or pepersonal use.

It is specifically written in most school handbooks that no student is to carry drugs of ANY kind at any time on school premises. This includes otc drugs. If you cross the line, there are going to be reprocssions. While I don't think a year is the term that should've been served, I think the girl should face the music, since she broke a rule that is obviously spelled out in the handbook.

It is specifically written in most school handbooks that no student is to carry drugs of ANY kind at any time on school premises.  This includes otc drugs.  If you cross the line, there are going to be reprocssions.  While I don't think a year is the term that should've been served, I think the girl should face the music, since she broke a rule that is obviously spelled out in the handbook.

I think we've gone overboard with some of the zero tolerance rules which limit the administrations options to sanely deal with matter's like this.