Sun-Times: Williams looking to fill gaps

Loaiza21

This is a good article.

Sox may be ready to shop, swap

December 7, 2003

BY DOUG PADILLA Staff Reporter Advertisement

It appears all that was needed to heat up the annual winter meetings was the offseason renewal of an East Coast rivalry.

The meetings don't begin until Friday in New Orleans, but it seems that recently completed deals by the Boston Red Sox and New York Yankees have raised expectations that other teams will get into the action.

"I think Boston and New York have gotten a lot of people in the mood,'' White Sox general manager Ken Williams said.

Like he did last offseason, Williams had been saying that he didn't expect much activity until after the meetings. He now has changed his tune.

"I think that I'm sensing a little more urgency for clubs to get things in place this year,'' he said. "Within the last week, the activity has been increasing. [usually], you don't see this happen before the meetings. But now you could have more active winter meetings out there.''

After the Red Sox acquired pitcher Curt Schilling in a trade with the Arizona Diamondbacks, the Yankees followed by grabbing pitcher Javier Vazquez in a deal with the Montreal Expos. If the Red Sox somehow can land shortstop Alex Rodriguez in a trade with the Texas Rangers, a counter move by the Yankees certainly will be interesting.

As for the White Sox, they are in the market for at least one starting pitcher, a middle reliever, a second baseman and a center fielder. With talk that the Sox might want better payroll balance, several players have been mentioned in trade rumors, including left fielder Carlos Lee, first baseman Paul Konerko, shortstop Jose Valentin and right fielder Magglio Ordonez, who will make $14 million next season.

"I wake up in the morning and see that the Yankees and Red Sox have acquired somebody else and say, 'Damn, another one,''' Williams said. "But they are like the rest of us. They only have 25 men that they can field, so there are still a lot of other players out there.

"For a club like ours, there is not a major overhaul needed. We need to replace what we appear to be losing on the free-agent market.''

That would be second baseman Roberto Alomar and outfielder Carl Everett, two July acquisitions last season that were thought to be the pieces the Sox needed to make a playoff push.

Reliever Tom Gordon already has signed with the Yankees, and starting pitcher Bartolo Colon appears to be close to a deal with the Anaheim Angels, although the Yankees remain in the picture for him, too. The Sox, who are expected to offer Colon salary arbitration by the deadline today, have a chance to keep him if his other options fall through.

Williams is watching the transaction wire, figuring that he no longer will have the option of staying patient if there is any more activity.

"It depends on how this last week is leading up to the meetings,'' Williams said.

Is it possible that Williams might make a significant move before arriving in New Orleans?

"Maybe,'' he said.

Williams' activity has been minimal at his first three winter meetings as a GM, but his discussions with Montreal Expos GM Omar Minaya last year led to the Sox acquiring Colon a month later.

"The last few years have been slow in developing for us,'' Williams said. "I think the only year I made a deal at the winter meetings, it was one that I wish I could turn back the clock on.''

On Dec. 13, 2001, Williams dealt starting pitchers Kip Wells and Josh Fogg and reliever Sean Lowe to the Pittsburgh Pirates for starting pitcher Todd Ritchie, who was a bust in his only season with the Sox. Williams figures to be shopping next weekend and is hoping for better luck.

"There are more balls in the air this year than there have been in the past few years, but that's necessitated by the fact that we have a few more holes because of the free agents that are exiting,'' he said.

Williams might give himself a day off before spring training begins, but he promises to do all he can to field the best team possible under the Sox' self-imposed $60 million payroll.

"There is not a lull in conversations between general managers with the exception of Christmas Day,'' Williams said. "That's the only day I can honestly say I haven't had a conversation with another club. That's just the nature of the job.''

Good article and I kind of agree with Kenny, the only thing is, I think payroll wise the only way he will be able to fill those positions is with a complete overhaul.

It is nice to see that he considers 2nd and cf a need position at this stage in the game. Personally, I don't have a problem going with Willie and Reed as long as the Sox have very good pitching and relief.

I think once the Sox jump out there, you will see them pretty active. Not necessarily big time players, but I see more trades then most teams would make...possibly more then anyone and a few FA signings.

I got to think the first move would possibly be signing Colon or moving Konerko or Magglio. Those seem like the most likely options right now. I guess announcing a contract with Sully could happen soon, cause I'm convinced he will finish his career with the Sox.

The big problem I see is that there are better FA alternitives for most of the guys we are shopping. I mean why trade for Maggs if there is a chance you could get Vladdy, why take Konerko's contract when Palmeiro is out there, is it worth it to get Koch when Foulke, Guardado, Benitez and Worrell are availible. It looks like our guys will be other teams second choice and we could be left waiting while they persue other options first.

I just hope we are still able to get some things done when this all plays out.

The big problem I see is that there are better FA alternitives for most of the guys we are shopping. I mean why trade for Maggs if there is a chance you could get Vladdy, why take Konerko's contract when Palmeiro is out there, is it worth it to get Koch when Foulke, Guardado, Benitez and Worrell are availible. It looks like our guys will be other teams second choice and we could be left waiting while they persue other options first.

I just hope we are still able to get some things done when this all plays out.

I have the same concerns as you. With each new announcement of big-name guys not getting offered arbitration on other teams and becoming FAs, the guys we're looking to move seem less and less desirable.

Good article and I kind of agree with Kenny, the only thing is, I think payroll wise the only way he will be able to fill those positions is with a complete overhaul.

It is nice to see that he considers 2nd and cf a need position at this stage in the game.  Personally, I don't have a problem going with Willie and Reed as long as the Sox have very good pitching and relief.

I don't think this is Kenny's fault. It's JR's cheapness that's got Kenny's hands tied. 60 Million self impossed payroll.. Well i hope the fans self impose to stay away until JR sells. Cause he loves to raise the Ticket Prices but doesn't like to spend the profit

:fyou :fyou Reinsdorf :bang

:dips*** :dips*** :stupid :stupid

I wonder if Mark Cuban would like a baseball team :rolleyes:

I don't think this is Kenny's fault. It's JR's cheapness that's got Kenny's hands tied. 60 Million self impossed payroll.. Well i hope the fans self impose to stay away until JR sells. Cause he loves to raise the Ticket Prices but doesn't like to spend the profit

:fyou  :fyou  Reinsdorf  :bang

:dips***  :dips***  :stupid  :stupid

I wonder if Mark Cuban would like a baseball team  :rolleyes:

Feel better? :lol: