Mariners sign Hasegawa

Mr. Showtime

Seattle Mariners: Reliever Shigetoshi Hasegawa agreed to a $6.3 million, two-year contract with the Seattle Mariners.

"I was really holding my breath on this one," Mariners manager Bob Melvin said. "Re-signing Shiggy, as valuable and versatile as he is, was a priority for us."

The 35-year-old right-hander gets a $500,000 signing bonus and salaries of $2.5 million next season and $2,975,000 in 2005. Seattle has a $3.1 million option for 2006 that could become guaranteed under certain conditions. There is a $325,000 buyout.

Still undetermined late Sunday was whether the Mariners would offer salary arbitration to outfielder Mike Cameron, who won his second Gold Glove last season, and lefty reliever Arthur Rhodes. Both are free agents.

The Mariners are not expected to offer arbitration to their other free agents: reliever Armando Benitez, catcher Pat Borders, outfielder John Mabry, infielder Mark McLemore and shortstop Rey Sanchez.

Well if Arthur Rhodes isn't offered arbitration, I think the Sox should jump on him and Kerry Lightenberg and work on a Koch for Weathers deal (I still believe the Mets will eventually jump on this..just let Howe and Peterson do the convincing) and then the Sox would get Weathers, Lightenberg and Rhodes. All are good veteran relievers that have some closer experience and one is a lefty.

Mix that with Marte and you have four quality relievers and your long man in Danny Wright and you have Dave Sanders, Arnie Munoz, and Gary Majewski as possibilities as well.

I believe the Sox will non tender Scho unless they can sign him for a lot less.

Well if Arthur Rhodes isn't offered arbitration, I think the Sox should jump on him and Kerry Lightenberg and work on a Koch for Weathers deal (I still believe the Mets will eventually jump on this..just let Howe and Peterson do the convincing) and then the Sox would get Weathers, Lightenberg and Rhodes.  All are good veteran relievers that have some closer experience and one is a lefty. 

Mix that with Marte and you have four quality relievers and your long man in Danny Wright and you have Dave Sanders, Arnie Munoz, and Gary Majewski as possibilities as well. 

I believe the Sox will non tender Scho unless they can sign him for a lot less.

Rhodes was not offered arbitration.

Rhodes and Marte in the pen and the Sox would have two great LH relievers.  Anybody have figures on his projected salary for 04.

He is a FA and Gabe White may be too. Either one of them would be nice, then add two righties and I'd say your set. I want 3 more relievers to go with Marte or at least that would be my plan and I'd ship Koch out of here to get one of the relievers.

His 2003 salary was 3.5 million....so forget about that. If were not offering 3 million to Sully were sure as hell not giving him 3.5 (or more)

He'll have to take a big pay-cut, probably around 2 mill or thats my guess. Could be a bit more with incentives or something along those lines.