ESPN 1000 Radio Show

Guest JimH

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim, John Rooney keeps bringing up the economy as a partial excuse. Can we use that as an excuse not to go to the games?

Well I do think there is a valid point to wait till the 20th for relievers and certain players because a ton of pretty top notch players are gonna get non tendered for economic purposes.

The key is, Kenny has to get himself in position where he has free money to spend at that point, by moving a few of his higher payroll guys.

Basically think of the 20th as a 2nd start at FA.

Jim, John Rooney keeps bringing up the economy as a partial excuse. Can we use that as an excuse not to go to the games?

Heck no TQ ...

Because our brides would be SO PISSED AT US if we didn't go to all those Sox games ...

After all, when would they get all their shoe shopping done??? :lol: :lol:

We either A) did not offer him a contract; B) low-balled him; or C) pissed him off while he was here for 7 weeks.

Amazing.

Or the Sox just couldn't come to terms with him becuase he wasn't motivated to take 2.5 mill, considering he knew if he took the Sox to arbitration he would get more then that.

He may not of had the incentive to take a 2.5 mill deal. That or he may not of wanted to stay in Chicago.

I don't think any of us know the situation. Look what Jason Grimsely got...one mill and he's a very damn good reliever. I doubt he would of taken that to play with the Sox or any other team in the majors, but he was happy in KC and just took it.

Or the Sox just couldn't come to terms with him becuase he wasn't motivated to take 2.5 mill, considering he knew if he took the Sox to arbitration he would get more then that. 

He may not of had the incentive to take a 2.5 mill deal.  That or he may not of wanted to stay in Chicago. 

I don't think any of us know the situation.  Look what Jason Grimsely got...one mill and he's a very damn good reliever.  I doubt he would of taken that to play with the Sox or any other team in the majors, but he was happy in KC and just took it.

Well he obviosly knew the market because he signed the day after we cut him loose. I would suspect we either low balled him or he didn't want to stay in this mess.

They keep intimating that the landscape will change big-time after Dec. 20.

I agree with that.

Next "Talkin' Baseball" is January 19th.

Hey Jason ... they're talking about people who want to get into baseball and what's done at the winter meetings re: the minor leagues. I'll try to listen and report.

Levine talking about the Twins ... he likes Joe Mauer, their catcher, but says he's got big shoes to fill, those being of A.J. Prick-zinski.

Both guys have been saying "we'll just have to wait and see" about every other sentence.

Talking about Keith Foulke ... Levine says no offer from the Cubs.

Now on Greg Maddux ... looks like San Diego but says the Cubf***s might make an offer.

This caller is a wad bag.

A caller now asking about Borchard ... Levine says he's got to show something.

Rooney says injuries bothered him in '03, likes the way he goes about his bizness, but he's suited as a corner OF.

Levine will be at the winter meetings. Now they're starting to talk to Josh Lewin, boadcaster of the Rangers. The book is called "Getting In The Game: Baseball's Winter Meetings". (note to Jason: get the book).

Levine now talking about how critical it is the Sox improve their defense, specifically mentioning OF defense.

I disagree with Levine ( as I usually do ) about the D, especially the outfield D.

Lee made great strides, Rowand would play better than average D and Magglio is underrated and improved defensively.

Infield - Crede is average to above, E6 actually looked good over there last year, 2B is a ? and either PK or Thomas give you decent defense ( I'll keep saying that until I'm blue in the face - as a few others have also said, just don't make Frank throw and he's just fine - and how many throws does a 1B actually make anyway? )

Olivo behind the plate is solid.

Sox were better than advertised defensively last year.

It was hitting and lead-footedness that did the Sox in in 2003.

I think the Sox probably low-ballled with him an offer...Sully is definetly a guy that likes stability and wants to know where he's going to be...Taking a decent offer from another team that could give that to him was probably fine by him...and of course that team wasnt the Sox...

Not much else said on the book, I guess they want you to buy it Jason :lol:

They all think that Pudge Rodriguez will end up with the Cubs.

Taking a break now for an "AM 1000 Sports Center Update".

Not much else said on the book, I guess they want you to buy it Jason  :lol:

They all think that Pudge Rodriguez will end up with the Cubs.

Taking a break now for an "AM 1000 Sports Center Update".

god that is all I need is for pudge to come to the Cubs. We are totally screwed this year.

Hey TQ, isn't it time for Pudge Rodriguez to get hurt again? :lol:

If the Cubs sign him, maybe that'll happen.

But Geezus, I don't wanna see it happen either. The Cubbie Kool-Aid flows freely here in the western suburbs :fthecubs

god that is all I need is for pudge to come to the Cubs. We are totally screwed this year.

Don't worry about it.

3 run lead, 5 outs away from the World Series, their ace on the mound at home....and KABLAM!!!

They WILL find a way to f*** it up.

They always do.

It's their identity.

Until they get past that point, that's all you need to stop the Cub Cult from yapping.

I am ONLY concerned with what the Sox do this year, and again, the AL Central is VERY winnable. Thanks to Minny for playing where they do.

OK, 8:10 ... they are back.

Oh f*** ... thought they were going to talk to Baker, now they're stalling, Baker must've gone back into the kitchen to get a toothpick.

Here he is, I'm out for a few minutes. Shove this Cub s***.

Don't worry about it.

3 run lead, 5 outs away from the World Series, their ace on the mound at home....and KABLAM!!!

They WILL find a way to f*** it up.

They always do.

It's their identity.

Until they get past that point, that's all you need to stop the Cub Cult from yapping.

I am ONLY concerned with what the Sox do this year, and again, the AL Central is VERY winnable. Thanks to Minny for playing where they do.

Well, two things about the central, KC wants to win it, they are making good solid moves and have improved. The Twins lost some things but they are loaded with Minor league talent and Joe Nathan is very good. They are still a good team. Quite frankly we have lost the most so far and have gotten nothing in return yet.