List of FA Pitchers

LostInBoston

So, its probably time we start to be realistic about who we're going to get here for starting pitching. It probably won't be Perez - its more likely to be KW trolling for the next Loaiza on the cheap. Here's a list of Free Agent starting pitchers according to MLB.com (I know there must be many more out there - is there a list of all free agents somewhere?) Perhaps we can find someone out there from this list...

1. Alvarez, Wilson

2. Ashby, Andy

3. Astacio, Pedro

4. Bacsik, Mike

5. Batista, Miguel

6. Burkett, John

7. D'Amico, Jeff

8. Dempster, Ryan

9. Erickson, Scott

10. Estes, Shawn

11. Etherton, Seth

12. Helling, Rick

13. Hitchcock, Sterling

14. Lidle, Cory

15. Lima, Jose

16. Maddux, Greg

17. Millwood, Kevin

18. Moehler, Brian

19. Oliver, Darren

20. Parque, Jim

21. Person, Robert

22. Pettitte, Andy

23. Ponson, Sidney

24. Reed, Rick

25. Reynolds, Shane

26. Ritchie, Todd

27. Rogers, Kenny

28. Rusch, Glendon

29. Stephenson, Garrett

30. Suppan, Jeff

31. Tomko, Brett

32. Valdes, Ismael

33. Villone, Ron

34. Wells, David

35. Wright, Jamey

Comments on anyone???

So, its probably time we start to be realistic about who we're going to get here for starting pitching. It probably won't be Perez - its more likely to be KW trolling for the next Loaiza on the cheap. Here's a list of Free Agent starting pitchers according to MLB.com (I know there must be many more out there - is there a list of all free agents somewhere?) Perhaps we can find someone out there from this list...

1.    Alvarez, Wilson

2.    Ashby, Andy

3.    Astacio, Pedro

4.    Bacsik, Mike

5.    Batista, Miguel

6.    Burkett, John

7.    D'Amico, Jeff

8.    Dempster, Ryan

9.    Erickson, Scott

10.    Estes, Shawn

11.    Etherton, Seth

12.    Helling, Rick

13.    Hitchcock, Sterling

14.    Lidle, Cory

15.    Lima, Jose

16.    Maddux, Greg

17.    Millwood, Kevin

18.    Moehler, Brian

19.    Oliver, Darren

20.    Parque, Jim

21.    Person, Robert

22.    Pettitte, Andy

23.    Ponson, Sidney

24.    Reed, Rick

25.    Reynolds, Shane

26.    Ritchie, Todd

27.    Rogers, Kenny

28.    Rusch, Glendon

29.    Stephenson, Garrett

30.    Suppan, Jeff

31.    Tomko, Brett

32.    Valdes, Ismael

33.    Villone, Ron

34.    Wells, David

35.    Wright, Jamey

Comments on anyone???

2. Ashby, Andy-Yes.

3. Astacio, Pedro-Minor League Deal.

4. Bacsik, Mike-Who?

5. Batista, Miguel-Yes.

6. Burkett, John-Yes.

7. D'Amico, Jeff-Journeyman.

8. Dempster, Ryan-I don't like dudes with screwed up arms.

12. Helling, Rick-No. 5

14. Lidle, Cory-Yes.

15. Lima, Jose-Yes.

16. Maddux, Greg-Yes

17. Millwood, Kevin-Yes.

22. Pettitte, Andy-Yes.

23. Ponson, Sidney-Yes.

27. Rogers, Kenny

34. Wells, David

35. Wright, Jamey

Prediction:

You'll see a trade for a starter, either at or just after the winter meetings.

They'll pick up one of these guys off the scrap heap ... my guess is Cory Lidle, Jeff Suppan.

They'll sign two relievers in January, after all the 12/20 non-tenders.

They'll bring in one more left handed bat ... Scott Spezio if his price comes down.

And it will be a competitive team ... not a world beater, but competitive.

Do you think that Wilson Alvarez guy will be as good as the Wilson Alvarez that played for us a million years ago?

I think we're going to pray a couple arms comes out of our minor league and into our starting rotation and bullpen. KW is looking for the next Dontrel Willis. We'll pick up a mid level FA who's a year or two away from his best year (either on his way up or down). I like the Maddux back in Chicago angle but I doubt he'll have 12-13 wins next season. Hmmm come to think of it, a switch to AL might bump that up to 15-17 and all of a sudden we replaced Colon. I'm not fooled by Maddux's "I'd like to come back to Chicago" comment. He's smart enough to not toss out any city in public.

We need a front line guy who will throw some innings like Colon. Our starters managed to hide our bullpen a little bit. If Bart, Mark, and Estaban didn't chew as many innings as they did we would have been another 3 or 4 games back.

I rate our problems right now as bullpen #1 and Relief #2. We could stand pat at every other position and still be in the hunt. If we don't shore up some pitching we're out of it.

Batista and Maddux may be a possibilty but I would like to see us pick up Ponson and Maddux. Ponson would eat up innings and maddux is still a very good pitcher. I feel we can get both of these guys for the money we offered Colon maybe a little bit more but not much. Maddux 4-5 mil and Ponson 5-8 mil would be nice.

MB

SP

EL

GM

JG

would be a nice looking rotation IMHO

What about Lima as a #5 Lima Stats? I'm not sure how much he would cost. If we keep Schoeneweis, he could battle with him as well as Rauch and Wright for the fifth starter spot. Loser ends up in pen. I am intrigued by how Lima might be able to change the chemistry of the Sox. He seem like an animated emotional character who might breathe some life into the team kinda like Baldwin used to. He also seems loose and may fit into Ozzie's have fun, play hard, win idea. Does anybody know more about Lima? I've only seen him on TV a few times. He might really be a headcase cancer on a team. I don't know.

I think the Sox should seriously consider Maddux. I know he is past his prime but I think he would be good for 15 wins and some leadership. Maybe a change of team and a chance to prove he is not washed up would revive him. He still has "star" value and would help put casual fans in seats. The local and national publicity from the "chase for 300" would be good for the Sox. I would make an extra effort be at the Cell for a chance to see #300. It has been mentioned on this board that he would have a postive "coach-like" impact on the young pitchers and I agree. I was young but I was excited when Tom Seaver came to the Sox. I think he could put up Seaver like numbers. Seaver Stats It will all depend on the Market for Maddux. I'd consider him for a 2 years at $10 million a year but that might not be enough.

I agree that Alvarez is worth a shot and has some PR value.

Previous posters have convinced me that Ponson is over valued. I'd avoid him.

Millwood wants too many years and is an NL pitcher that may do a Chan Ho Park.

Maddux at 10 mil a year!!! Im glad your not our GM his market is currently sitting around 3-5 million per year nobody is will to offer more then that for his services.

I think that is great! Get him then. If that is true and we can get Maddux for the money we would have to pay Valentin. Don't worry. When I'm Jason's assistant GM, I will not suggest we pay 10 million for a player being offered 5 mill from other clubs. I just had no idea the market for Maddux was that low. No way. I think the Yankees have 8 million in their couch cushions that they would offer Maddux.

I think that is great!  Get him then.  If that is true and we can get Maddux for the money we would have to pay Valentin.  Don't worry.  When I'm Jason's assistant GM, I will not suggest we pay 10 million for a player being offered 5 mill from other clubs.  I just had no idea the market for Maddux was that low.  No way.  I think the Yankees have 8 million in their couch cushions that they would offer Maddux.

Dude, stick to videogames. The Jose situation is different, we had no other options, that is why we picked up his option.

If ya ever become an executive of the White Sox, I am jumping ship.

1. Alvarez, Wilson--I'D ROLL THE DICE ON HIM

2. Ashby, Andy--OLD, BEAT UP, DONE

3. Astacio, Pedro--INTRUIGING, HOW MUCH WOULD HE COST?

4. Bacsik, Mike--NO, JUST NO.

5. Batista, Miguel--YES, I LIKE HIM

6. Burkett, John--OLD, SOFT, NEVER THAT GOOD TO BEGIN WITH

7. D'Amico, Jeff--GUARANTEES 7 STARTS BEFORE HE GETS HURT!

8. Dempster, Ryan--ISN'T HE COMING OFF ARM SURGERY? WAIT TIL NEXT YEAR

9. Erickson, Scott--HASN'T PITCHED SINCE 1991. LET SOMEONE ELSE PAY HIM

10. Estes, Shawn--HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

11. Etherton, Seth--NO

12. Helling, Rick--IS THERE A MORE CONSISTENT PITCHER OUT THERE? TOO BAD IT'S CONSISTENTLY A 4.99 ERA

13. Hitchcock, Sterling--I WON A CRICKET GAME ONCE WITH A STERLING HITCHCOCK. I HATE HIS NAME, BUT HE MIGHT BE USEFUL

14. Lidle, Cory--THE WHITE JAMES BALDWIN--ONLY GOOD FOR 1/2 A SEASON

15. Lima, Jose--I WILL BECOME A DIEHARD CUBS FAN IF HE IS IN A SOX UNI.

16. Maddux, Greg--TOO MUCH MONEY FOR A #3 STARTER

17. Millwood, Kevin--NOT WORTH WHAT HE'S ASKING BY A LONGSHOT

18. Moehler, Brian--GO AWAY

19. Oliver, Darren--GO FARTHER AWAY

20. Parque, Jim--THAT'S NOT EVEN FUNNY

21. Person, Robert--ALSO COMING OFF ARM SURGERY? DID HE EVEN PITCH LAST YEAR?

22. Pettitte, Andy--NOT UNLESS YOU'RE AN ASTROS FAN

23. Ponson, Sidney--PARTIALLY TORN LABRUM = SCARY

24. Reed, Rick--THE DAD FROM THE BRADY BUNCH? I THOUGHT HE WAS DEAD? OH, THAT WAS ROBERT REED. RICK REED IS DEAD TOO, RIGHT?

25. Reynolds, Shane--SURE, IF WE NEED A BATTING PRACTICE ARM.

26. Ritchie, Todd--.......................

27. Rogers, Kenny--HE MIGHT HAVE ONE MORE YEAR LEFT.

28. Rusch, Glendon--I DON'T LIKE HIM, BUT HE'S AS GOOD A CANDIDATE FOR 2004 LOAIZA AS ANYONE.

29. Stephenson, Garrett--FOR THE PEN, MAYBE

30. Suppan, Jeff--POOP ON SUPPAN

31. Tomko, Brett--MAYBE, HE'S A WEIRD ONE TO FIGURE OUT

32. Valdes, Ismael--YES, SURE, I'D TAKE HIM

33. Villone, Ron--NO, NO, NO.

34. Wells, David--ONLY IF IT'S TO SHOOT HIM OUT OF THE SCOREBOARD ON OPENING DAY

35. Wright, Jamey--VERY INCONSISTENT, BUT STILL YOUNG ENOUGH TO PUT IT TOGETHER?

2.    Ashby, Andy-Yes.

3.    Astacio, Pedro-Minor League Deal.

4.    Bacsik, Mike-Who?

5.    Batista, Miguel-Yes.

6.    Burkett, John-Yes.

7.    D'Amico, Jeff-Journeyman.

8.    Dempster, Ryan-I don't like dudes with screwed up arms.

12.    Helling, Rick-No. 5

14.    Lidle, Cory-Yes.

15.    Lima, Jose-Yes.

16.    Maddux, Greg-Yes

17.    Millwood, Kevin-Yes.

22.    Pettitte, Andy-Yes.

23.    Ponson, Sidney-Yes.

27.    Rogers, Kenny

34.    Wells, David

35.    Wright, Jamey

LOL!!! Doing the same that someone did to you! LOL!!!

Outta all of those maybe 5 are good all the rest SUCK!

What about Lima as a #5 Lima Stats?  I'm not sure how much he would cost.  If we keep Schoeneweis, he could battle with him as well as Rauch and Wright for the fifth starter spot.  Loser ends up in pen.  I am intrigued by how Lima might be able to change the chemistry of the Sox.  He seem like an animated emotional character who might breathe some life into the team kinda like Baldwin used to.  He also seems loose and may fit into Ozzie's have fun, play hard, win idea.  Does anybody know more about Lima?  I've only seen him on TV a few times.  He might really be a headcase cancer on a team.  I don't know. 

I think the Sox should seriously consider Maddux.  I know he is past his prime but I think he would be good for 15 wins and some leadership.  Maybe a change of team and a chance to prove he is not washed up would revive him.  He still has "star" value and would help put casual fans in seats.  The local and national publicity from the "chase for 300" would be good for the Sox.  I would make an extra effort be at the Cell for a chance to see #300.  It has been mentioned on this board that he would have a postive "coach-like" impact on the young pitchers and I agree.  I was young but I was excited when Tom Seaver came to the Sox.  I think he could put up Seaver like numbers. Seaver Stats  It will all depend on the Market for Maddux.  I'd consider him for a 2 years at $10 million a year but that might not be enough.

I agree that Alvarez is worth a shot and has some PR value.

Previous posters have convinced me that Ponson is over valued.  I'd avoid him.

Millwood wants too many years and is an NL pitcher that may do a Chan Ho Park.

LIMA??? LOL!!!

Lima is a f***ing Loser

Godfather, I'll bet you $50 that Maddux will get more than $5 million a year.

If you find any takers, I want a piece of the action.

Maddux is still a very good pitcher. Everyone thinks he had a down year last year. He didn't, he had a rotten April, which inflated his ERA horribly. At one point he was 0-3 with a 10+ ERA. From that point forward he was 16-8 with an ERA in the heighborhood of 3.33. Not too shabby.