Colleges

Where did you go?

Where are you currently going?

or, Where do you want to go?

I just got my PSAT scores back to day, so I am in a college mood.

I would love to go to Michigan, but it is a reach, a pretty far one at that. Otherwise, I am thinking Missouri, DePaul, pretty much any big ten school (excluding NW which I don't have a prayer at getting into).

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

(1979) College of Lake County Lancers Cross Country Champions in 10 of 11 seasons. Not sure what happened after I left.

(2003) University of Texas - Pan American Edinburg, Texas

Broncs football: undefeated the past 15 years

Basketball: perhaps the worst NCAA Div 1 program to be sanctioned for violations. Thank God a new coach has turned the program around.

Psychology Major, Political Science and English minors.

Think about where you want to build a career after college and seriously consider schools in that area. The Alumni network will help your career. Also look at your support system. The success rate for college is much greater if you have the social support, especially the first 2 or 3 months at school.

Visit as many universities as you can before making a decision. Consider a close to home school the first 2 years. The core education requirements outside your major aren't going to matter too much and will not be much different at Local U or Big Budget U.

Cal State University of Fullerton. I'm in my 3rd year and am a Business Major with accounting as my focus.

Once I graduate, hopefully next June, I plan on getting a joint MBA/Law degree. My top choices are University of Michigan, University of Washington, and Northwestern. If I got into all 3, my choice would probably come down to Michigan or Northwestern.

The odd thing is both Michigan and Washington would cost me the same price as it would for me to go to UCLA, which is in state (Tuition wise). And cost of living would be much much cheaper in Washington or Michigan. NU is incredibly expensive, but they offer the program I want to do in 3 years instead of the 4 yrs it would take if I went to UW or UM, which ends up making total tuition and living like 45,000 more at Northwestern but at the same time I am out on the job force a year early and I anticipate that I should be able to get much more then that.

Cal State University of Fullerton. I'm in my 3rd year and am a Business Major with accounting as my focus. 

Once I graduate, hopefully next June, I plan on getting a joint MBA/Law degree.  My top choices are University of Michigan, University of Washington, and Northwestern.  If I got into all 3, my choice would probably come down to Michigan or Northwestern.

The odd thing is both Michigan and Washington would cost me the same price as it would for me to go to UCLA, which is in state (Tuition wise).  And cost of living would be much much cheaper in Washington or Michigan.  NU is incredibly expensive, but they offer the program I want to do in 3 years instead of the 4 yrs it would take if I went to UW or UM, which ends up making total tuition and living like 45,000 more at Northwestern but at the same time I am out on the job force a year early and I anticipate that I should be able to get much more then that.

A couple other pluses

The career earning would probably be greater with a NU degree.

~ and ~

Think of all the money you will save by not going to bowl games every year

I know, it would have been funnier and truer other years.

Junior College (didn't have the money for Boston U where I was accepted): Daley Community College Sep 94 - May 96

Bachelors: University of Illinois at Chicago (Bachelors of Science in Electrical Engineering) Jan 1998 - Dec 2000

I'm an applications engineer. I wish there were more manufacturing engineering jobs available, but a good deal of those are either in Mexico or China (and India, I think).

Junior College (didn't have the money for Boston U where I was accepted): Daley Community College Sep 94 - May 96

Bachelors: University of Illinois at Chicago (Bachelors of Science in Electrical Engineering) Jan 1998 - Dec 2000

I'm an applications engineer.  I wish there were more manufacturing engineering jobs available, but a good deal of those are either in Mexico or China (and India, I think).

With the Mexico jobs most are maquilla operations with the engineers and other managers living in the US and crossing every day. I did it for a few years. Kind of a cool environment. Border living is interesting.

i'm a senior in HS right now, already been accepted to Northern Illinois and Purdue.  STILL waiting on my U of I letter, which is my #1 choice.  Stalking the mailman is not fun  ;)

If U of I says no the first time go through their appeal process. Three of three guys I know who were turned down initially got in on appeal. Your letter of reference will be key.

A couple other pluses

The career earning would probably be greater with a NU degree.

~ and ~

Think of all the money you will save by not going to bowl games every year

I know, it would have been funnier and truer other years.

Probably, but all three are rated very highly in both business and law. Washington is there because it keeps me on the West Coast and is more reasonable that I get into it, although I think I have good shots with the other schools as long as I keep improving in school and do good on the LSATS.

LMAO, the big plus to Michigan is I could root for some real sports teams :D , but at NU I could go to so many Sox games :D

Probably, but all three are rated very highly in both business and law.  Washington is there because it keeps me on the West Coast and is more reasonable that I get into it, although I think I have good shots with the other schools as long as I keep improving in school and do good on the LSATS. 

LMAO, the big plus to Michigan is I could root for some real sports teams  :D , but at NU I could go to so many Sox games  :D

Your finals aren't finished log out and get back to work. Lunch break is over.

Your finals aren't finished log out and get back to work. Lunch break is over.

I have you know that I'm currently looking up Journal articles but am taking a break from it. Once thats done then I'll have lunch. I'm finally getting concentrated on finishing up all my last minute stuff :)

(1979) College of Lake County Lancers Cross Country Champions in 10 of 11 seasons. Not sure what happened after I left.

(2003) University of Texas - Pan American Edinburg, Texas

Broncs football: undefeated the past 15 years

Basketball: perhaps the worst NCAA Div 1 program to be sanctioned for violations.  Thank God a new coach has turned the program around.

Psychology Major, Political Science and English minors.

Think about where you want to build a career after college and seriously consider schools in that area. The Alumni network will help your career. Also look at your support system. The success rate for college is much greater if you have the social support, especially the first 2 or 3 months at school.

Visit as many universities as you can before making a decision. Consider a close to home school the first 2 years. The core education requirements outside your major aren't going to matter too much and will not be much different at Local U or Big Budget U.

I am planning on majoring in journalism, or communications, that makes Missouri a top choice. Journalism and communications are offered at just about every school I have taken an interest in (except for Pitt.).

As far as local schools go, most schools in the Northeast are small, which does not interest me. I also want to go back to the midwest, so bigten schools really appeal to me.

Being from NJ is one of the worst things that can appear on a college transcript, because we send more students out of state than any other state, and schools are flooded with New Jersians. This is mostly because of the lack of strong universities in NJ.

Rutgers is the only large school in NJ, and they are flooded with so many NJ applications, that they have raised their standards. Even if I can get my SAT score in the upper 12 range (I got a 1220 on the PSAT) I would still not be a "shoe in" at Rutgers.

I am taking an SAT class and I plan on doing some intense studying to try to get the score to 1300, which could get me a slim chance of getting into UMich.

Freshman at The Michigan State University.

My friend just got rejected from MSU. I was surprised because he had a pretty solid transcript. He got an 1100 on the SAT, has a b average and is involved in a lot of activities, I guess his essay wasn't too attractive.

My friend just got rejected from MSU.  I was surprised because he had a pretty solid transcript.  He got an 1100 on the SAT, has a b average and is involved in a lot of activities, I guess his essay wasn't too attractive.

Brian's friend's sister graduated in May 2002 from MSU with a bachelors in psychology.

Journalism was my first major. Before you decide to major in Journalism, check out the newspapers or media outlets you want to work for and ask them what education they would like to see. A long time ago I was at a College Journalism convention in Chicago and the publisher of the Sun Times told us he didn't want to hire Journalism majors. He wanted *good writers* who knew about Economics, or Politics, or Middle East Issues because when he assigned them those type of stories they would have some knowledge of what was going on. He didn't care if you wrote a thesis about William Randolph Hurst and were an expert on 19th Century newspapers.

That may have changed. YMMV

Build a clip file at your college paper but don't get too involved, the newspaper staff has a very high drop out rate because they already think they are journalists and spend too much time writing about college than doing it.

Off soap box. Ignore the old guy if you like. :D

Good luck.

###

My friend just got rejected from MSU.  I was surprised because he had a pretty solid transcript.  He got an 1100 on the SAT, has a b average and is involved in a lot of activities, I guess his essay wasn't too attractive.

I never wrote an essay for State. The biggest thing State looks at is a potential student's GPA. Then they go to the trend of their grades (see how the student has been doing lately). Scores on the tests (ACT, which I took, and SAT) were fifth on State's list for potential admittance.

I'm currently a Senior at Illinois State University majoring in secondary mathematics education. I graduate in May, 2004. After I am situated in my career for a few years, I hope to attend the University of Chicago or Northwestern to get my Ph.D. in mathematics and then become a college professor at a Chicagoland university.

I'm currently a Senior at Illinois State University majoring in secondary mathematics education.  I graduate in May, 2004.  After I am situated in my career for a few years, I hope to attend the University of Chicago or Northwestern to get my Ph.D. in mathematics and then become a college professor at a Chicgaoland university.

What kinda grades ya get Heather?