Colleges

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well my friend is goin to Indiana Uni on an athletics scholarship next me. As for me I will be goin to either Monash University or Deakin University down here studyin Commerce and Sports Management in all likelihood. I get my results and enter score back on Monday. :o

I'm currently a Senior at Illinois State University majoring in secondary mathematics education.  I graduate in May, 2004.  After I am situated in my career for a few years, I hope to attend the University of Chicago or Northwestern to get my Ph.D. in mathematics and then become a college professor at a Chicgaoland university.

Ever heard of Todd Knowles

Journalism was my first major. Before you decide to major in Journalism, check out the newspapers or media outlets you want to work for and ask them what education they would like to see. A long time ago I was at a College Journalism convention in Chicago and the publisher of the Sun Times told us he didn't want to hire Journalism majors. He wanted  *good writers* who knew about Economics, or Politics, or Middle East Issues because when he assigned them those type of stories they would have some knowledge of what was going on.  He didn't care if you wrote a thesis about William Randolph Hurst and were an expert on 19th Century newspapers.

That may have changed.  YMMV

Build a clip file at your college paper but don't get too involved, the newspaper staff has a very high drop out rate because they already think they are journalists and spend too much time writing about college than doing it.

Off soap box. Ignore the old guy if you like.  :D

Good luck.

###

I don't know what else to major in. My biggest academic interests are writing, sports (hardly academic), and history...that leaves journalism and teaching as the only possible majors. And I don't think I would be a good teacher, I am too inclined to get off topic and tell stories

You might want to look at a General Studies Degree. It is sometimes called Interdisiplinary Studies. Popular with Social Studies Teachers and Journalists, and Athletes. Basically it is slightly different between Universities but it is a Triple Minor (sounds like hockey). You might have expanded minors in History, Communications, and Kinesiology. Or whatever three make sense. Journalists down here like to toss in either International Relations or Spanish.

Again, don;t make school and career decisions without consulting someone you trust. IMHO checking with a future employer through tehir Human Resource (HR) department or talking with someone who has the job you want is a great way to pick up tips.

Well, what a small world!!!  Is he what got you into the Sox?

well my dad is a huge sox fan too, so the sox cover our entire family.

It is definately a small world, as soon as you said you studied secondary math, I knew he had some math courses, so I thought there was an outside chance that you would know him.

Guest williestokes

I am a 16 y/o junior in high school in Roanoke, Virginia. I have a 3.45 GPA, Im 88th in my class of 482, and by the end of high school I will have taken 5 AP, college level, classes. I havent taken my SATs yet, but on the PSAT I got a 1300. After high school, Im going to go to college but Im not sure where. I have a few ideas. University of Hawaii at Manoa, where Ill major in political science and take Army ROTC. Hawaii Pacific University, where Ill major in political science and participate in UH at Manoas ROTC program. If I dont get to do that (which would more likely be from parental objections than academic failures), I want to go somewhere in the coastal South, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina or Florida. My only real requirement is political science and ROTC, and somewhere nice. Theres no way in hell Im going to Idaho. If I do go to Hawaii, after graduating I hope to join the army as either a grunt or military intelligence. I also want to study law so that later I can become a lawyer and get involved in politics, and maybe someday get involved in politics on a world level. Make an impact, I guess. Whoa, thats a lot of information right there... :o

Pape Sow alert!  :lolhitting

Oh s***...I didn't know people outside of Fullerton actually knew about this guy. I shouldn't really speak though, I've never seen the Titans play a basketball game. I've only watched the baseball games.

Although they did go to overtime yesterday in USC.

Freshman At Illinois State

Political science/ Criminal Justice

The ration of Girls to guys is 3/2

Plus where getting an arena football team soon

Oh Yeah and the laddies are Hottttttt!! :cheers  :cheers  :cheers  :o  :o  :notworthy  :drink

Arena 2?

We're getting a team for next Spring :cheers

Freshman At Illinois State

Political science/ Criminal Justice

The ration of Girls to guys is 3/2

Plus where getting an arena football team soon

Oh Yeah and the laddies are Hottttttt!! :cheers  :cheers  :cheers  :o  :o  :notworthy  :drink

Hell yeah!!!

Where'd ya hear we were getting an arena football team and when?

:nono not cool.

ISU has one of the best female to male ratios. My speech class had 20 girls in it and only 3 guys. :headbang  :cheers

I agree....been down there quite a few times visiting ISU for that very reason...SOLID RATIO!!! I have a few friends who go there...

And currently I attend Trinity Christian College in Palos Heights, IL...I have already earned my business degree and am currently finishing up my Accounting degree...

Sitting at a 3.4 GPA...

And currently I attend Trinity Christian College in Palos Heights, IL...I have already earned my business degree and am currently finishing up my Accounting degree...

Sitting at a 3.4 GPA...

Hell yeah, two PH residents on Soxtalk. You must be dutch if your going to that school :lol:

Do you know a baseball coach there by the name of William Storrs?

I've narrowed it down to Iowa, Iowa State, Northwestern, Stanford, and Creighton. I'm a 4.0 with a class rank of 1 out of 121. I've scored a 30 on my ACT's last year and I'm still waiting on my PSAT results. I'm taking one AP course this year. (Only two are offered here, the other which is Calc which I will take next year)