Merged awards threads

Texsox

As someone who has no chance of winning anything,  let me just say that:

1.  People who put WAY more time and heart and insight and humor into this web site deserve to be mentioned. That is called fairness and I for one would have no moral right to complain or get upset.

2.  Being overlooked may give those thin-skinned "teenagers" insentive to be better the next year and maybe wisen-up their act. 

I think 10-15 categories is more than enough.  As long as they are meaningful/funny or both, it's all cool.  Last thing you need is having to change the whole roster of categories next year when people get serious about it.  Either do it right or don't do it AT ALL.

Yes, having "bad" would be awesome too. Razzis are often a blast and way better than Oscars/Emmys Grammys, etc

Well that is all fine and dandy, but we need ideas then for awards... Will the creative people please stand up?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got some categories.....more categories then you bargained for:

First Annual...."Most Worthless Poster That Contributes Nothing To This Site And If They Left Nobody Would Give A s***" Award. And whoever wins must put the award in their signature. It would be a hoot ;)

More serious awards could include: Funniest, most annoying, lifetime achievement, biggest spammer, most offensive, orginal name, original signature, Political awareness, rookie of the year (people who signed in 03......), poster of the year, Most under appreciated.

Let's postpone the category-making, criteria-formulating and voting until next Thursday. Week will be enough.

Doing something HALF-ASSED under the auspices of SoxTalk is WRONG.

It will reflect bad on everybody, including the sight bosses and even the White Sox team.

Let's postpone the category-making, criteria-formulating and voting until next Thursday.  Week will be enough.

............So, anyone have any new categories. Brando, I dont understand why we have to postpone it. People are just putting down ideas and were trying to decide which ones to use. Its not as if this is interfering with anything that it most be held off for another week.

and even the White Sox team.

Yes, if we made a "half assed" award contest I'm sure it would reflect poorly on the White Sox team. Because you know they frown upon these sort of activities.

Hows this look in the history of the White Sox organization: Black Sox, Disco Demolition, Fans attacking umps, and..... the Soxtalk Awards of 2003. Fits right in.

So fra we can all agree:

Best Sox Thread

Best Sox Post

Best Off-Topic Post

Best Sox Poster

Best Off-Topic Poster

Moron of the Year

Baitor of the Year

Best Mod

Best Worthless Spammer

Oldest Female Poster

Funniest Poster

Honorable Person

Coolest Pic Poster

Best Fakester

There are probably another 5-10 that can be added.

Hows this look in the history of the White Sox organization: Black Sox, Disco Demolition, Fans attacking umps, and..... the Soxtalk Awards of 2003. Fits right in.

Now you're being unreasonable.

I've got some categories.....more categories then you bargained for:

First Annual...."Most Worthless Poster That Contributes Nothing To This Site And If They Left Nobody Would Give A s***" Award.  And whoever wins must put the award in their signature.  It would be a hoot  ;)

More serious awards could include:  Funniest, most annoying, lifetime achievement, biggest spammer, most offensive, orginal name, original signature, Political awareness, rookie of the year (people who signed in 03......), poster of the year, Most under appreciated.

I like those Flash. Some good categories. I don't even think the awards. It is fine if there is ten awards or something, but it'd be cool to see all sorts of these categories, just what people think.

We should get this all organized and well put together, like the Hot Chick Contest :headbang . No need to rush it.

We could even have a designated date and time for the awards to be presented and let the winners give their acceptance speeches/posts. It could turn out to be a pretty nice event for Soxtalk.

lol.  You mean Mr I'd bet $1000 that Kerry Wood is going to win the Cy Young this year?  I hadn't thought about him in forever :lol:

ya well he showed his face yesterday (along with cardsukk) when we argued that Houston's staff was up there with theirs now. And today, according to the Cubbie faithful: Prior is two times better than Oswalt, Clement is better than Wade Miller, the Cubs are gonna sign Clemens, and the best of all, getting Pedro will put them back over the Astros staff

:rolleyes:

ya well he showed his face yesterday (along with cardsukk) when we argued that Houston's staff was up there with theirs now. And today, according to the Cubbie faithful: Prior is two times better than Oswalt, Clement is better than Wade Miller, the Cubs are gonna sign Clemens, and the best of all, getting Pedro will put them back over the Astros staff

:rolleyes:

:o Wade Miller is easily better than Clement.

I think I have a good category list: Not too long so it will be manageable. I am in the processs of selecting a nominating group to comb through the nominees  to limit each category to 3 to 5 choices. You can either kiss butt publicly or PM me with your nominations.

Time frame:

Nominations will close on December 15

Polls will be up by December 17

Voting ends December 22

Winners announced December 23

Admins: I was planning on making the poll vote only, no replies. Can we also hide the vote by vote results?

The categories:

Poster of the Year (soxtalk MVP)

Thread of the Year (Best Picture)

Best Poster to start a Thread (leading actor)

Best Poster to add to a Thread (supporting actor)

Special Effects (Who posts the best pics)

White Sox Baseball Analyst

Cubbie (poster who gets picked on, but like a loyal Cub fan, keeps coming back)

Drinking Buddy (Who would you like to meet for a drink)

LOL  (who makes you laugh)

Anger Management Award  (who makes you mad)

No prizes but feel free to add your award to your signature. Maybe we can have the winners names in gold.

*Offical as I can make them.

Funniest

most annoying

lifetime achievement

biggest spammer

most offensive

orginal name

original signature

Political awareness

rookie of the year (people who signed in 03.)

Most under appreciated.

Best Sox Thread

Best Off-Topic Post

Best Sox Poster

Best Off-Topic Poster

Moron of the Year

Baitor of the Year

Best Mod

Best Worthless Spammer

Oldest Female Poster

Funniest Poster

Honorable Person

Poster of the Year (soxtalk MVP)

Thread of the Year (Best Picture)

Best Poster to start a Thread (leading actor)

Best Poster to add to a Thread (supporting actor)

Special Effects (Who posts the best pics)

White Sox Baseball Analyst

Cubbie (poster who gets picked on, but like a loyal Cub fan, keeps coming back)

Drinking Buddy (Who would you like to meet for a drink)

LOL (who makes you laugh)

Anger Management Award (who makes you mad)

I just want to add one quick thing. I don't want to see people take this thing too far. Its cool to have a nice awards thing, but if you don't get one no biggie and remember its quality not quantity. I don't want to see a ton of people posting a gazillion useless posts soley so they can be up for an award next year (I know I know...these awards will make you the talk of the town).

Hell, maybe we should write the Tribune and Southtown and all the major papers to remind them to put on a press release and to rent out the New York Opera House and we could put on this huge ass award show :)

I just want to add one quick thing.  I don't want to see people take this thing too far.  Its cool to have a nice awards thing, but if you don't get one no biggie and remember its quality not quantity.  I don't want to see a ton of people posting a gazillion useless posts soley so they can be up for an award next year (I know I know...these awards will make you the talk of the town). 

Hell, maybe we should write the Tribune and Southtown and all the major papers to remind them to put on a press release and to rent out the New York Opera House and we could put on this huge ass award show :)

Since this thread and the other got hijaked...use this for nominations...

I just want to add one quick thing.  I don't want to see people take this thing too far.  Its cool to have a nice awards thing, but if you don't get one no biggie and remember its quality not quantity.  I don't want to see a ton of people posting a gazillion useless posts soley so they can be up for an award next year (I know I know...these awards will make you the talk of the town). 

I said that early to an extent. If it is awards, make it five or ten...and not post and stuff. Just something like best male poster, best female poster, best newcomer poster, best admin, best mod, and overall best poster. It would be cool to have a poll to see all the other stuff, but award wise, quality is better.