WHAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTT!

BrandoFan

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could somebody post the story here? I don't want to go through the trouble of creating a membership to chicagosports.com.

Thank you.

I did already. Its on the top of the 2nd page of this thread... (lets see if you remember this acroynm from the trading floor) RTFT!!!

Edited by southsider2k4

Is it possible that you really have no idea whats going on with the White Sox management and how much money we have, and that KW and JR know a lot more about baseball than you do.

Yes and yes.

But the 4.40 ERA Mark is going to post over the next 2 season before succumbing to Sirotla-esque shoulder injury is not worth 18 Million.....unless JR is expanding payroll this year, going for it for real, Sox make it to ALCS, exprience a fan interest to the tune of 2.5 Mill in attendance and media boom......then Mark's caontract is justified as he is a solid #3 when he is on. (You can forget about 3.20 ERA season know, tho, becuase hitters know him now and none of his pitches is special)

I did already.  Its on the top of the 2nd page of this thread...  (lets see if you remember this acroynm from the trading floor) RTFT!!!

Sorry. I thought there was more to it. Sounds like a good deal. Finally some good news.

No I don't remeber that acronym.

Yes and yes.

But the 4.40 ERA Mark is going to post over the next 2 season before succumbing to Sirotla-esque shoulder injury is not worth 18 Million.....unless JR is expanding payroll this year, going for it for real, Sox make it to ALCS, exprience a fan interest to the tune of 2.5 Mill in attendance and media boom......then Mark's caontract is justified as he is a solid #3 when he is on. (You can forget about 3.20 ERA season know, tho, becuase hitters know him now and none of his pitches is special)

I don't think you have to have "special" pitches to be successful as long as you have good command, which Mark does.

Yes and yes.

Well in his last 20 starts he had an era of 3.47 so the hitters can't exactly be dialing in too well. Once again I think that JR and KW and the rest of the staff have a better idea than you of whether or not MB will get hurt.

The White Sox and pitcher Mark Buehrle have agreed to terms on a three-year, $18-million contract that includes a club option for 2007.

Buehrle will receive $3.5 million in 2004, $5.75 million in 2005 and $7.75 million in 2006. The Sox hold an option at $9.5 million with a $1 million buyout for 2007.

The lefty would have been eligible for salary arbitration in each of the next three years and could have become a free agent following the 2006 season.

Buehrle, 24, went 14-14 with a 4.14 ERA in a career-high 35 starts in 2003, his fourth season with the White Sox.

"Mark Buehrle has been a valuable member of this franchise for the last three-plus seasons, and we feel he is one of the top young left-handed pitchers in baseball," said White Sox general manager Ken Williams. "Rick Hahn (White Sox assistant general manager) and Mark's representatives have been working extremely hard on this for the last two years, so it's rewarding to see a long-term agreement come to fruition."

Brando, last I checked Andy Pettite didn't have special stuff. Greg Maddux didn't have special stuff. Jamie Moyer didn't have special stuff.

If you know how to pitch and have a lot of quality pitches that you can control, then you will be good in this league. I will say that Buehrle has some things to work on though.

I think this is a very good deal, I think the numbers are fair, partly because there's a low first year and the theory goes that the Comcast deal is going to give them more money down the line.

I also like it from the stability part... This offseason we had six good players leave, the Sox maybe were getting a label of a team you don't want to play for, but I think this can go to show that this isn't a horrible place to play (and yes I know he wouldn't be a FA until 05, but he gave an extra year and a TEAM option).

I like having Mark for 3 years and wouldn't worry about the 4th. I think this should put him in a nice frame of mind. Right now he's the starter I have the most confidence in.

I doubt this deal would have been made if we had signed Colon. I think it is a nice win after the last month that KW has had.

:headbang :headbang

I like this deal. pitchers much worse than MB are asking for more, 6 mil isn't bad at all. MB is going to have a monster career, and hopefully he'll be a white sox for awhile now.

Plus i'm getting his jersey for x-mas, so awesome news.

Now, hopefully the annual Spring story entitled--"Buehrle says something that makes eveyone think he wants to be a Cardinal" will not return this season.

Not a chance, that's my favorite Of course it will be right after Frank says/does something to piss someone off. That's a more reliable indicator of Spring than a robin :lol:

Brando, last I checked Andy Pettite didn't have special stuff.  Greg Maddux didn't have special stuff.  Jamie Moyer didn't have special stuff. 

If you know how to pitch and have a lot of quality pitches that you can control, then you will be good in this league.  I will say that Buehrle has some things to work on though.

I may have overracted, I should have looked it was backloaded..... true....altho:

Pettite has been one of the most ovepaid players in the 21th century, has a career ERA of about 4.00. BUT...Yankees have the MONEY and his POSTSEASON effectiveness alone makes him worthwhile to them. Sox and Burhle are in a totally different situation. Also, Pettite has a better cutter, four-seamer and change than Burhle. Not by a lot, but the difference is there.

Moyer is a 4.10 career ERA pitcher, nothing remotely special.

Maddux? You picked a truly unique example and there is about 1 in 5 chance Mark will ever come close to being what Maddux was before turning 35......any more than Colon being what Clemens was before he turned 35.

Mark doesn't have Maddux's control. Mark doesn't have Maddux's great mind and deceptive motion. His change is also not as good and there is less movement on his pitches. When his cutter betrays Mark, he is f***ED. His 3.20 ERA days are OVER, and a mid-FOUR ERA pitcher is not worth 6 mill a year when your payroll is barely 50.

Again, not nearly as stupid as Colon signing would be, but I on the fence on it. Hopefully Mark will prove me wrong in 2004 by going 20-7 with a 3.40 ERA. UNlikely tho........even considering how s***ty our ALC opoonents are offensively.