Robbie to be a Cardinal by weeks end...

Wise Master Buehrle

I dunno I was just reading this over at the Cardinals MLB board, looking to see if they were crying about MB being signed.

I hope he becomes a Cub Killer. If he does sign with St. Louis, best of luck to him, and many thanks for trying his best to pull this team out of the dirt.

http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/mb/message.asp...g=20640.1&ctx=0

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i just heard Tony LaRussa take questions from Cardinals' fans on KMOX.

He said he doubted very much that it would happen.

Said the team was committed to an $80 million payroll and that Job One was getting another starter to help Morris and Williams. He said he did not believe Roberto Alomar would be willing to take the steep paycut that would be required to play in St. Louis. He said the Cardinals were looking for somebody to platoon with Bo Hart.

Might be posturing, but it jives with other things we've heard about Robbie -- once you've made $8 million, it's tough to agree to play for $2 mill.

Hmmm not much of a suprise really. They really need pitchin in the worst way though, expect J.D Drew to get dealt soon, maybe in a 3 or 4 team deal to get Perez, Ortiz or Washburn in return. Bo Hart would be nice here as a scrapper though.

No he's not.. Can't you get another name??

I wish Robbie the Best, He's my countryman and really wanted to stay with the Sox but Economics didn't let it happen. I still think the sox kinda slaped him in the face. I only wish we could have gotten Robbie about 5 years earlier. Say what you wanna say but Robbie is one of the best of his time

Guest Hex Rudler

I don't think the Sox slaped in the face, nor did they slap in the face. He is just a shot ballplayer with limited skills who deserves to be in the Hall 5-6 years after he formally retires. The trade was a mistake on the Sox part. I don't think he'll hit .250 next year. Limited range, power is long gone, hustle is history. He can't hit a lick from the right side. Harris will be a LOT better in 2004. Hopefully it will be with us. And what difference does it make what country either you or Robbie came from? Economics??? If Robbie could still hit and play as he did five years ago, every team would be trying to sign him. Truth is, he got took old. It's a young man's game. Sorry if my pseudonym offends you. If Jason or Rex wants me to change it, I will.

I don't think the Sox slaped in the face, nor did they slap in the face.  He is just a shot ballplayer with limited skills who deserves to be in the Hall 5-6 years after he formally retires.  The trade was a mistake on the Sox part.  I don't think he'll hit .250 next year.  Limited range, power is long gone, hustle is history.  He can't hit a lick from the right side.  Harris will be a LOT better in 2004.  Hopefully it will be with us.  And what difference does it make what country either you or Robbie came from?  Economics???  If Robbie could still hit and play as he did five years ago, every team would be trying to sign him.  Truth is, he got took old.  It's a young man's game.  Sorry if my pseudonym offends you.  If Jason or Rex wants me to change it, I will.

Mistake?? Over D'Angelo Jimenez.. LOL!!! YEah Buddy you really knwo baseball. The Sox Slaped him in the Face EOS. I'm not saying he was worth a bunch of money but at least the Sox sould have shown some respect to a FIRST BALLOT Hall of Famer

To compare Harris to Robbie is Ludacrist.. Harris can't carry Robbie's Jock Strap

No it's that we already have a Rex hudler Here. There's many more names to choose from, I feel Like your mocking a friend of Mine

Guest Hex Rudler

Five years ago Harris could not have carried Robbie's jock strap. Today he can. D'Angelo Jiminez has nothing to do with it. Harris was already starting over him when we got Robbie. DJ was traded to Cinci for a minor league pitcher who was later traded to the Angels for Schoenweis. Saying that Harris NOW a better player than Robbie is not ludacrist, nor is it ludicrous. Let's talk in mid season about Harris/Alomar. If I'm wrong, I'll eat crow; if you're wrong...who cares?

I dunno I was just reading this over at the Cardinals MLB board, looking to see if they were crying about MB being signed.

I hope he becomes a Cub Killer. If he does sign with St. Louis, best of luck to him, and many thanks for trying his best to pull this team out of the dirt.

http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/mb/message.asp...g=20640.1&ctx=0

I agree, if he can't play for us then at least have him play against the Flubbs. I can live with that I guess.

Five years ago Harris could not have carried Robbie's jock strap.  Today he can.  D'Angelo Jiminez has nothing to do with it.  Harris was already starting over him when we got Robbie.  DJ was traded to Cinci for a minor league pitcher who was later traded to the Angels for Schoenweis.  Saying that Harris NOW a better player than Robbie is not ludacrist, nor is it ludicrous.  Let's talk in mid season about Harris/Alomar.  If I'm wrong, I'll eat crow; if you're wrong...who cares?

Go watch Baseball Buddy. Harris is not better than Robbie.. LOL!!!!!!! When Willie can put up numbers like Alomar did maybe I'll compare. But Willie Better than ALOMAR...

LMAO!!!!!

Start Eating Crow Rookie.. And If you eat it... Who in the f*** Cares! :fyou

I'm really gonna miss Robbie.  Even though he can't really hit anymore, his defense was sure something to watch.  It seemed to bring a spark to the rest of our team when he joined last year.  Watching him turn the DP's was nothing short of amazing.

You're new around here.... Saying that Harris is Better than Robbie is Dumb.. What do you think

You're new around here.... Saying that Harris is Better than Robbie is Dumb.. What do you think

LOL willie shouldn't be allowed to eat the dirt outta robbie's cleats. anyone can hit a buck ninety........willie harris aka mr AAAA\

oh and as far as the defense is concerned, i dont see ANY shades of robbie in willie

I'm really gonna miss Robbie.  Even though he can't really hit anymore, his defense was sure something to watch.  It seemed to bring a spark to the rest of our team when he joined last year.  Watching him turn the DP's was nothing short of amazing.

Don't forget his bunting as well. That would hav helped Ozzie preach his smallball.

Guest Hex Rudler

Yes, he can certainly turn a double play. He also showed limited range, made a lot of weak ground outs in which he did not hustle to first, showed he cannot hit any more, no power like he used to have, no base stealing ability -- gone. Time to retire.

Yes, he can certainly turn a double play.  He also showed limited range, made a lot of weak ground outs in which he did not hustle to first, showed he cannot hit any more, no power like he used to have, no base stealing ability -- gone.  Time to retire.

LOL!!! Robbie may be older but you can't compare him to Willie lol!!!!!! :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang

I'm not so sure about that Josh. I think you actually can compare Willie to Robbie at this point in their career. You look at when Robbie was however old Willie is right now....it's laughable. Robbie would have had Willie for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, as well as a midnight snack too.

I do agree Robbie is the better player. He can still bunt, still has a great amount of range(which is not how dumbass feels, but that is partly because he apparently did not watch baseball), can turn the DP, and still had a little left in the bat from the left side of the plate. He ain't much when hitting right-handed, but atleast he can bunt very well. And I personally thought that the Jose-Robbie combo up the middle was one of the finest 2B-SS duos I've seen the White Sox have. That's not saying a whole hell of a lot, mainly because I've grown up with the likes of Ray Durham for most of my White Sox watching days, and Durham has about as little range as anyone(though he can turn the DP very well). Still though, that as a treat watching those two, and you could almost see Jose starting to field better as he played more and more with Robbie.

Robbie, in his day, was most definately an impact player. He could beat you 100 different ways. I have no doubt in my mind that he is a 1st ballot hall of famer. I just hope he doesn't stick around too long like Harold Baines did. I don't think that's possible with Robbie though....he's too good a fielder to stick around too long. I figure if he can't start anymore, he'll end up a very good utility man for 2-3 years. I could see Robbie playing into his early 40s, undoubtedly.

And, of course, I wish him all the best wherever he lands. He's a hell of a good player, and he always has been.

I'm not so sure about that Josh.  I think you actually can compare Willie to Robbie at this point in their career.  You look at when Robbie was however old Willie is right now....it's laughable.  Robbie would have had Willie for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, as well as a midnight snack too.

I do agree Robbie is the better player.  He can still bunt, still has a great amount of range(which is not how dumbass feels, but that is partly because he apparently did not watch baseball), can turn the DP, and still had a little left in the bat from the left side of the plate.  He ain't much when hitting right-handed, but atleast he can bunt very well.  And I personally thought that the Jose-Robbie combo up the middle was one of the finest 2B-SS duos I've seen the White Sox have.  That's not saying a whole hell of a lot, mainly because I've grown up with the likes of Ray Durham for most of my White Sox watching days, and Durham has about as little range as anyone(though he can turn the DP very well).  Still though, that as a treat watching those two, and you could almost see Jose starting to field better as he played more and more with Robbie. 

Robbie, in his day, was most definately an impact player.  He could beat you 100 different ways.  I have no doubt in my mind that he is a 1st ballot hall of famer.  I just hope he doesn't stick around too long like Harold Baines did.  I don't think that's possible with Robbie though....he's too good a fielder to stick around too long.  I figure if he can't start anymore, he'll end up a very good utility man for 2-3 years.  I could see Robbie playing into his early 40s, undoubtedly.

And, of course, I wish him all the best wherever he lands.  He's a hell of a good player, and he always has been.

:headbang :headbang :headbang :cheers

No it's that we already have a Rex hudler Here. There's many more names to choose from, I feel Like your mocking a friend of Mine

Damn, I had to do a double take.....only THEN I realized it wasn't Rex posting......Talk about that BE GOOD/letter rearranging effect, totally went by me, lol!!!

Oh and Fakester McRudler? WTF are you talking about "five years ago"? Check out Alomar's 1999-2001 production....Harris couldn't carry Robbie's jock strap as late as LAST year as mediocre as Robbie was, and there is NO indication Harris will ever be a 650+ OPS regular.......while Robbie could probably bunt for that OPS when he is 50, lol.

No basestealing ability? Despite his flexor, he stole 12 bases in 14 attempts in 2003 and was still very good (even if not exactly as good as 3 years ago) in non-stealing situations such as scoring from 2nd on a liner single to RF, from 1st on a short double, go to 3rd from 1st on a grounder single to CF/RF, etc.....Robbie might be done, but he not worthless by any means--- prodived he is only used against RHPs.

Of course signing of Burhle (which was decided long ago I presume) pretty much ensured Robbie won't be back, and I am not sure he was worth 2/6 he is gonna get from Cards.

Honestly guys, you raelly can't compare Harris' output in MLB to Robbies output, and say who is better. How much playing time has Willie had as a starting second baseman? About 1.5-2 months MAYBE? Of course the comparison has no grounds for basis IMO. But hopefully Willie will grow into a 2Ber who will stay around for a while. He has the speed, ability to bunt, and has shown at times to be able to put the ball in play. Robbie is, no doubt, one of the best second basemen in the history of the game. But Robbie is also not 25 years old anymore, and his skills are fading as an everyday player. He can still play the filed better than 70% of the stiffs in MLB, but I can't justify paying 3 or more million per year for 2 years to a guy who has diminished skills at the plate.