A question for the sake of discussion....

YASNY

I know a couple that is in the process of divorce, but they still live together. The wife makes the husband sleep on the couch every night.

That must be terrible to be going through a bitter divorce, and still live together

I was always able to manuever the bed for myself. ;)

I use to believe in never going to bed mad, but I was losing too much sleep.

My current wife and I played "Divorce - the Home Game". We spent almost $10,000 on attorneys, had an agreement almost in place, sold our home, and divided up the photos then we reconcilled. Sleeping on the couch would have meant we were in the same house, I wasn't even that close.

We tried to live in the same house while the divorce proceedings where going on. Bad move. Nothing like coming home from a Bulls game to see the For Sale sign on the front lawn. Or dividing up the ornaments while putting up the Christmas tree. I handled all the situation with all the dignity I could muster. Whenever I felt like screaming, yelling, pouting, throwing things, rude accusations, etc. I counted to .005 and did it. I was such an ass. Good thing I moved out.

Thanks for that little walk down memory lane. I just upped the budget for my wife's Christmas gift.

I use to believe in never going to bed mad, but I was losing too much sleep.

That's a really great one-liner, Tex (Fair warning, I'll probably steal it). Sounds like a rough ordeal to go through though.

For us, the couch used to be a place of self-exile where we would go on our own if it at times was better than the alternative of sleeping uncomfortably in the same bed. Curiously, I seemed to make the move a lot more than my wife, so maybe she was telling me without actually telling me. ;)

Now, we either have one or both of our little ones crawling into the bed with us, so If I'm getting crowded out I'll regularly end up on the couch or in one of the kids beds just to get some sleep.

Guys:  Has your wife ever told you to "sleep on the couch"?  If so, how did you handle it and what happened?

Nope, it's never happened to me.

When we argue, we both make an effort to discuss the problem right away, so we don't go to bed angry. The problem doesn't always get resolved that night, but at least we address the situation and don't hold any grudges.

Communication is the key to marriage, and no marriage can survive without it.

Nope, it's never happened to me.

When we argue, we both make an effort to discuss the problem right away, so we don't go to bed angry. The problem doesn't always get resolved that night, but at least we address the situation and don't hold any grudges.

Communication is the key to marriage, and no marriage can survive without it.

Ditto on that. Brian and I aren't married yet, but we've been living together for about a year and a half and we've had a couple fights, but when we fight we shout and yell for about 10-15 minutes, discuss for about 15 more minutes and then usually get to common ground and we are fine.

Only once did we go to bed angry...okay, I went to bed angry and the next morning he was kissing my butt and saying sorry - he lost his temper about something that had nothing to do with me, basically someone pissed him off at work (OT on a Saturday) and he came home and took it out on me.

My wife tried to kick me out of the bed once. I told her at that time that it was my bed as well and no one was going to kick me out of my own bed and if she didn't want to sleep with me she could sleep on the couch.

That set the precedent, though it was rare, that if either one of us was angry enough not to sleep with the other, then that person would make the choice, their self, to sleep on the couch.

That was many years ago. Though what is discussed above has nothing to do with it, she is now my ex-wife.

In college the couches are usually bigger than beds, so when you're told to "sleep" on the couch it usually means--race you! Woohoo! Just my two cents....

A couch can be very good to sleep on if u hav a good one. A recliner, or even a sofa bed is always a good chance to grab a quick powernap. :lol: