Kenny Conceding this year?

spataro51

I was watching cltv news yesterday morning and they were talking about the winter meetings and the sox came up and kenny williams was being interviewed i am assuming when he arrived in new orleans yesterday about the situation of the white sox, and what he said surprised me , he pretty much seemed like he conceded this year all ready. The question was " what can you do kenny to help this team with the money you have?" and kenny's answer was "Well with what i have to play with, there really isn;t much i can do. I will have to juggle some stuff around to keep this team competitive. I like harris at second and arron at center. I would like to win this thing(meaning the world series) at least once in the next few years." kenny stopped and the reporter was in the middle of asking him about if any one was going to be traded and then kenny interrupted and said "well maybe we can win this thing next year."

To me it sounds like kenny was giving up this year, why did he have to go back and backtrack his statements about this team winning it. Does he not believe this team can win if he puts some players in place? I am not saying that i am picking the sox to win the ws either, at least not at the moment. But look at the marlins, did anyone actually think they would win the ws. I don;t think so.

I was watching cltv news yesterday morning and they were talking about the winter meetings and the sox came up and kenny williams was being interviewed i am assuming when he arrived in new orleans yesterday about the situation of the white sox, and what he said surprised me , he pretty much seemed like he conceded this year all ready. The question was " what can you do kenny to help this team with the money you have?" and kenny's answer was "Well with what i have to play with, there really isn;t much i can do. I will have to juggle some stuff around to keep this team competitive. I like harris at second and arron at center. I would like to win this thing(meaning the world series) at least once in the next few years." kenny stopped and the reporter was in the middle of asking him about if any one was going to be traded and then kenny interrupted and said "well maybe we can win this thing next year."

To me it sounds like kenny was giving up this year, why did he have to go back and backtrack his statements about this team winning it. Does he not believe this team can win if he puts some players in place? I am not saying that i am picking the sox to win the ws either, at least not at the moment. But look at the marlins, did anyone actually think they would win the ws. I don;t think so.

Who wouldn't with El Cheapo Around

I don't doubt that next year's team will have the talent to compete, its the competancy of the new manager that I doubt.

Jerry Manuel was fired even though he did not have a playoff-caliber team until mid-season when Alomar and Everett both came on board.

OTOH, Terry Bevington had playoff-caliber teams in both 1996 and 1997, but both of those teams failed to make it because of...........Terry Bevington.

For what its worth, I predict that 2004 will be a replay of '96/'97 complete with talented team and incompetant manager. Meanwhile, JM will be collecting his $1 Mil. option from the club and be watching the Sox, wondering just why he wasn't allowed to have a team that good for a whole year when he was in charge.

Meanwhile, JM will be collecting his $1 Mil. option from the club and be watching the Sox, wondering just why he wasn't allowed to have a team that good for a whole year when he was in charge.

You believe that this years team will be better? Im not trying to predict the win totals for this year rather I'm saying the talent wont be on par with 03'. Whether it was the lack of chemistry or Manuel's influence we underachieved last year (despite winning 86 games.) Of course nobody needed to be told that......but can anyone here expect this year team to even overachieve for 86 wins in 04'.

By opening day, I believe the naysayers will be impressed with the roster.

Considering we've already lost Gordon, Sullivan (to KC :fyou ), Everett, Colon, and, in a matter of time, Graffenino and R Alomar..... not to mention the prospect of possibly losing a C Lee or Maggs, I'm willing to go out on a limb and say that I will be far from "impressed" with the '04 Opening Day roster.

Just my humble opinion though.

kenny's answer was "Well with what i have to play with, there really isn;t much i can do. I will have to juggle some stuff around to keep this team competitive...." <clip>To me it sounds like kenny was giving up this year

KW's job in public is to blather and say nothing

I wouldn't pay much attention to anything said in public because the real business KW is trying to do, he doesn't want to tip off

I think personally KW is too competitive and too much trying to be the rising star to ever give up

now whether he can deliever - and CK would say he can't and I am not going to argue with my good friend on that one at all ever - is another issue