Mets sign Cameron

Mr. Showtime

Ha, Mike Cameron just did exactly the OPPOSITE of what Jim Bowden said he would do.

Bowden basically said that Cameron had 3 offers on the table, one from Oakland, one from San Diego, and one from NY, and that NY's had the most money on the table. He said that he'd probably sign with Oakland because he thought he wanted to go to a winner and that he wasn't going for the money.

Bowden = dumbass.

What I want to know is do we play the mets this year? Cameron no doubt looks forward to teeing off against our pitching.

I'm pretty sure we do.

I know we play the NL East, and there's a strong possibility that we play them. However, we would travel to New York to play them and not have them come here, which was the case in 2001, so Cameron does not get to see USCF this year.

We do not play the Mets this year, even though we play the NL East.

We get Atlanta and Philly at U.S. Cell, and on the road we go to Florida to play the Marlins and we go to Montreal :headbang to play the Expos.

Ha, Mike Cameron just did exactly the OPPOSITE of what Jim Bowden said he would do.

Bowden basically said that Cameron had 3 offers on the table, one from Oakland, one from San Diego, and one from NY, and that NY's had the most money on the table.  He said that he'd probably sign with Oakland because he thought he wanted to go to a winner and that he wasn't going for the money.

Bowden = dumbass.

Maybe Now Harold Reynolds will say the Mariners hated Cameron ;)

Hmmm me thinks da Mets fans mite be cryin foul again about an overpaid playa. Cameron is a good CF, but he's not worth 19 mill ova 3 years. But still the Mets know what they want and money ain't a problem for that, until now. Hopefully now they'll go afta Koch. This is from Jayson Stark's Rumblings and Grumblings,

Now that they've signed Mike Cameron, the Mets will turn to their next objective -- finding a closer. They've talked to free agent Ugueth Urbina. But indications are that they're more likely to trade for either Billy Koch or Scott Williamson. And if we were betting men, we'd bet on Koch, given his connection (from Oakland) to new pitching coach Rick Peterson.

Two teams that have been speaking with the Red Sox said they came away with the clear impression that center fielder Johnny Damon is now available. The Red Sox are also prepared to trade either Williamson or Byung-Hyun Kim.

This is a "depressed" free agent market in terms of salaries.

Someone forward that huge revelation to the Mets upper brass. Better yet, don't say a thing. Let them suffer in their stupidity and marinade in it. :lol:

Last place, here they come. The Mutts, so desperate to detour attention from the Yankees, do something stupid yet again. That's why they are the Mutts. Piss on 'em.'

This is a "depressed" free agent market in terms of salaries. 

Someone forward that huge revelation to the Mets upper brass.  Better yet, don't say a thing.  Let them suffer in their stupidity and marinade in it. :lol:

Last place, here they come.  The Mutts, so desperate to detour attention from the Yankees, do something stupid yet again.  That's why they are the Mutts.  Piss on 'em.'

Hopefully they r stupid enough to take on Koch now. David Weathers would look very nice in our pen. I know Jason said he posted very good numbers this year I think leadin the Mets in appearances. He'd be a nice replacement for Sully.

They are stupid, DBAHO.  They are as stupid as the day is long.  I actually feel some positive energy now - they would probably take the Koch deal. 

However, I still think Koch rebounds next year.  Just my thoughts.

Hehe, it's the first positive energy I've felt all weekend too. Finally this move may lead to a deal actually gettin done for da White Sox. I can see why they want him, with the Rick Peterson factor, but he's just too much of a risk for my liking at $6.25 mill especially when otha guys like Foulke who u know r gonna put up good no's r only makin $5 mill next year. But he will put up betta numbers, I'm just not sure how much betta they'll be.

I was so psyched this weekend, and now I'm just "blah."

Kenny is nothing if not consistent. He doesn't inspire or elicit any enthusiasm in the offseason or regular season. He's a dolt in any time frame, or at any point in the team's season.

He's nothing if not consistent. :angry:

Jason, did you really think Mike Cameron away from Safeco (check the numbers folks!) field would barely cost much more than 3 Mill? I know, I know, I was that naive myself, too, so who am I to talk.... :lol:

He's shown he couild be a mid-800 OPS player with good OBP despite playing in a pitcher's parks 81 times a year. His defense was never a question, and while he's lost a step on the basepaths, he is still one of the BEST overall baserunners in AL.

He's been one of the greatest regular teams of all time, the 2001 squad, so there is little question whether he can "win".

UNder the circumstances, anything under 5-6 Mill was out of the question. If Robbie is gonna get 3+ a year, Cameron should get AT LEAST 2-3 Mill more.

But is Mike Cameron really 3 mill a year better then Carl Everett???

But your right, I definately mis priced him. I thought he could of been had for 4 mill a year and I think thats what he's worth.

I also thought Colon was an 8 mill a year pitcher, 10 mill max. He got more then that and so be it.

Sometimes other teams overpay cause they have drastic needs, but I think teams are almost always better off not overpaying and just waiting and going another direction.

I hope the Sox do this.

But is Mike Cameron really 3 mill a year better then Carl Everett???

Last time I checked, Everett was making almost 2 Mill more than Cameron in 2003....And, yes, as a CF, Cameron IS a better player......if you put him on that Texas team, with unreal line-up protection of Blalock, Young, Palemiro, Gonzalez, Texeira and even Greer, in that lainghing pad of a park....on a last place team where there is hardly any pressure....Cameron would have n aOPS of at least 70 points higher-- and he's had a few 800 OPS as it is!

Then baserunning and defense (Carl is really mediocre and bad respectively) which over the 162 game season comes down to quite a lot. Mike is also 2 years younger.

Besides, is Manny Ramirez REALLY worth extra 18 Mill over Audrey Huff? Figuring out a player's intristic value is hard enough; knowing who is overpaid or not and who is a better fit for which team is even more difficult.

But your right, I definately mis priced him. I thought he could of been had for 4 mill a year and I think thats what he's worth.

I think people who thought Valentin, Gordon and Robbie would take 2 Mill or Less, or that Colon and Escobar would go for 9 and 3 respectively, fell into the trap of thinking that the prices/demand are gonna drop at the rate at which they rose in the first place.

It may indeed be a GM's market (in November), but it's a PLAYER's world. Never forget that.

We both know Sox can't afford to overpay, but many teams are NOT like the Sox, both in terms of financial situations AND the division in which they play. They, too determine the market value for players.